Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aleve Naproxen Sodium (Read 6218 times)
Shawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Aleve Naproxen Sodium
Dec 14th, 2009 at 9:52pm

Hello everyone.  I have visited this site at various times over the last few years but never post.  I have suffered from CH's now for about 15 years.  My cycles are yearly, and for the last 3 years the cycles have lasted about 6 months with increasing duration.  I am afraid I am transferring from eposidic to chronic.  I have tried numerous medications, but have found that high doses of prednisone is the best to control the cycle, and oxygen is the only thing that has worked to alleviate the pain when I have the daily attacks, which are generally 3-8 attacks per day.   I absolutely hate the side effects of high doses of prednisone, but it does help me.

I started another cycle in November while I was away from home on business.  No oxygen pr prednisone, or anything else.  Desperate I reviewed some of the posts on-site and decided to buy a bottle of Aleve hoping that it would help with the inflammation like prednisone, not the pain, as there is no medication I have tried which gets rid of the pain.

The Aleve did not work right away, but I stayed with it hoping to avoid getting back on prednisone.  I take 3-4 Aleves (220mg each) per day (generic Naproxen Sodium) as well as 50 mg of Amitriptyline at night (which I don't have any side effects from other than drowsiness).  It has been over a month now, and I haven't had any full blown attacks where I need oxygen and I haven't had to start with Prednisone yet.  I guess it is possible that this is a long shadow period, but I can tell you that if I forget to take an Aleve, I have increased shadows.   

I will update this post if the Aleve/Amitriptyline works for the entire cycle (or if it doesn't), but this is the first time in years that I have been so hopeful during a cycle.  Hopefully this will help someone else.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: Aleve Naproxen Sodium
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 10:31pm

I would be a happy camper if that combination would even put a small dent in CH's for me.

Best of luck for your continued lack of attacks, but I would prepare for a possible return visit.

Marc

IP Logged

Shawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 10:18pm

As promised, I am updating everyone after two full months of trying the Aleve/Amnitriptalane combination.  I am happy to report that I am in month three of my cycle, and the Aleve/Amnitriptalane combintation first reported has kept the full blown attacks away.  I have also added 2000 milligrams of Vitamin D after reviewing some of the controversial posts regarding the same. In my mind no reason not to try it.  For whatever reason, this combination has worked for me.

I know some of you may be reading this thinking either I don't really have CH's or I am not in a cycle, and thinking there is no way this combination would work for them.  All I can say is that I have suffered with CH's for over 15 years and after trying the normal CH combinations, I settled on Prednisone at 60mg tapered at 2.5mg per week when the Devil allowed, and Oxygen during an attack.  I too have been hesitant to believe this is working thinking I am not really in a cycle, but every time I take less of the Aleve, the shadows return.  Last week I thought the cycle was over so took 2 Aleve's per day instead of the normal 4 and the shadows returned.  The only explanation I can think of is the Aleve is serving to reduce the inflammation the same way the prednisone does.  I am not sure what the Amnitriptalane does, but was recommended by my doctor during last year's cycle.

All I can say is if you are on heavy doses of Prednisone, hate the side effects, and are looking to try an alternative, this combination has worked for me over the last three months and I have had no adverse side effects.   

IP Logged

Shawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:53pm

If anyone is interested, I have been taking the same doses of Aleve/Naproxen Sodium, Amitriptyline and Vitamin D for over 2 years now without a cycle and without any full blown attacks.  I have nothing else to explain why the Ch's would go away.   

I will repeat the statement I made in 2010.  "All I can say is if you are on heavy doses of Prednisone, hate the side effects, and are looking to try an alternative, this combination has worked for me over the last (two years) and I have had no adverse side effects."

I hope this combination helps someone else and that is why I am posting.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:58pm

That's great news Shawn. If you get a chance, read the link in this section:

"123 pain free days and I think I know why."

A lot of tweaking has been done to the original vitamin D supplement regimen, it now includes calcium, magnesium, zinc and fish oil. Results have been a bit suprising to say the least, with many going pain free.

I only suggest that because of the potential for stomach and internal organ issues with long term use of the nsaids. Here's hoping either way the pain free time continues for you brother.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:50pm

Funny u should bring up amitryptiline I was just put on 25 mg at night last week and has helped me with my 5 a.m increased wake up shadows and alot of my shadowing in general. I find it really helps me out!
Anthony

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!