Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Inefficient O2 usage (Read 4098 times)
gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Re: Inefficient O2 usage
Reply #25 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 3:50pm

From: Pathophysiology of trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias, The Lancet Neurology,  Volume 8, Issue 8, August 2009:
Quote:
Vasodilation of intracranial arteries ipsilateral to the pain is well documented during CH attacks and has been proposed as the pain source in CH.
However, intracranial vasodilation is not specific to CH as this vasodilation is also present in experimental forehead pain.
Moreover, attacks of CH pain can occur even if vasodilation is prevented by trigeminal sectioning.

From: Oxygen Inhibits Neuronal Activation in the Trigeminocervical Complex After Stimulation of Trigeminal Autonomic Reflex, But Not During Direct Dural Activation of Trigeminal Afferents, S Akerman, PR Holland, MP Lasalandra & PJ Goadsby. Headache (2009) 49: 1131-1143
Quote:
Results.-Meningeal vasodilation and neuronal firing in the trigeminocervical complex (TCC), in response to dural electrical stimulation, was unaffected by treatment with 100% oxygen. Stimulation of the SuS via the facial nerve caused only marginal changes in dural blood vessel diameter, but did result in evoked firing in the TCC. Two populations of neurons were characterized, those responsive to 100% oxygen treatment, with a maximal inhibition of 33%, 20 minutes after the start of oxygen treatment (t15 = 4.4, P < .0001). A second population of neurons were not inhibited by oxygen and tended to have shorter latency. Oxygen also inhibited evoked blood flow changes in the lacrimal sac/duct caused by SuS stimulation.head_1501 1131..1143

Sounds like the vasoconstricting effect of O2 is (mostly ?) irrelevant in the treatment of clusters and that vasolidation isn't the problem either.

IP Logged

godsjoy777
CH.com Veteran

HIS name is above clusters

x0|Grand Prairie, TX|USA||0|0|
Reply #26 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 10:50pm

I don't know much, but I know that O2 at a slower flow rate used to work ok for me but this last bout of clusters lasted for 16 weeks with one ER visit and lots of painful days and nights. 

I am fully planning on getting a very high flow regulator for next year and hopefully get a chance to go see Dr. Rozen if at all possible.

Thank you Batch for doing so much research. 

Blessings!
karen

godsjoy777  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #27 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 12:15am

One more trick with the O2 is to take a deep breath of O2 and hold it as long as you can.

I sure hope Gary finds some help, I know it's not easy for either of you. Often I think, what would I do in his situation?

Prayers to you, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #28 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 7:54am

You've educated yourself well Batch!  And. yes, I do remember the bird on the plane and party lines. 
After my last cluster, I did buy a 25 lpm regulator and optimask so I will experiment with your process (if I ever get hit again).

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 8:17am

Bob P wrote on Dec 11th, 2009 at 7:54am:
You've educated yourself well Batch!  And. yes, I do remember the bird on the plane and party lines. 
After my last cluster, I did buy a 25 lpm regulator and optimask so I will experiment with your process (if I ever get hit again).

"IF" being the key word here, Bob.

Here's to hoping you maintain a brand new unused regulator.

Marc

IP Logged

NovellRed
CH.com Junior

x0|San Diego|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #30 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 9:14pm

I have found that this works best for me most of the time.
1. Get heart and respiration up with vigorous exercise
2. Empty my lungs as much as possible
3. Fill lungs with pure 02
4. Hold in the 02 for 15 ~30 seconds
Repeat steps 2 - 4 until you feel the Beast subside or you are convinced it isn't going to work. If it doesn't seem to be working go back to step 1 and exercise harder then try the 02 again.
Nothing works the same for everyone, sometimes things that have worked in the past suddenly stop working. Keep trying different methods till you find what works for you.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #31 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 7:18pm

Batch wrote on Dec 7th, 2009 at 10:39am:

As this discussion covered oxygen therapy under “normal” conditions, that begs the question, "What happens when things aren't normal or when there are other conditions that can impact the effectiveness of oxygen therapy?"

I’ll save that discussion for another post…  This one is long enough…  Hope it helped explain why oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation is more effective than the lower flow rates prescribed today…  Safe too!!!

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Batch, did you ever write the follow-up:  what happens when things aren't normal?

If so, I'll just go search for it.

You don't know how much I appreciate the hard work you're doing, the support you've provided, and the REALLY detailed information.  "Thank you" hardly seems to cover it.

We still haven't gotten 02 therapy to work, but he's ready to try yet again.  (He gives it a try every month or so.  The main problem is that the failed attempts result in even worse rebounds immediately, so it's hard for him to just keep trying and trying). 

I am becoming more and more convinced that Gary is, in fact, an alien.

...I will add... that with the fevers he gets, I do think that his hypothalamus is truly just "broken," and perhaps there is nothing that will help.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!