Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Verapamil taper. (Read 4685 times)
red ryder
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Question about Verapamil taper.
Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:11pm

I am winding down a 2 week prednisone taper. I am also taking 180 mg extended release verapamil (1 pill) daily. I know after reading alot of the research that the emediate release is preferred by most, and that my dosage is low but it seems to be working or either the prednisone is still holding them at bay.

My question is how whould you taper when you are taking 1 pill a day. Do you skip every other day and see if there is any increase in headaches.I plan to stay on the current 180 a day until the shadows have gone, but just wondered about the tapering issue.

My doc last time just had me quit cold turkey from the verap. Just wondereed what some of you have done to taper off a one pill dose that you cant break up.  Thanks,  Jay

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Question about Verapamil taper.
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:29pm

It is mostly likely the pred taper keeping the beast at bay.  If the taper didn't break your cycle, be prepared for a very pissed off beast.  So I would wait until the pred taper was done and gone before I fooled around with the verapamil dosage.

A pred taper is usually given to stop the attacks while you titrate up on a preventative med (like Verapamil).  For most, it doesn't actually break the cycle.  Though it very well may.

Once you are off the pred taper and PF for a day or two, you could then begin to skip a day on the verapamil.  However 180mg is such a low dose that I don't think it will matter much where your CH is concerned.  You could just stop taking it.

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

red ryder
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:50pm

By the way the verapamil is capsule form and not tablet, that is why I can't just cut it in half.  I am down to taking only 20 mg of prednisone daily is that enough to usualy hold the beast at bay, or would he have usualy broke through full force. I am still getting pretty heavy shadows, but no full hits. I come off the prednisone completely in 3 days.  Who knows I might get slammed and have to increase the verap. I guess in that case i could have my doc switch to the tablet sustained form.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 1:18pm

Unfortunately there is no "level" of pred that is effective for everyone.  This is something that you find through trial and error.  It's the error part that is so tough Wink

Bob posts this Verapamil info all the time.  Using the approach really allowed me to dial in the Verapamil dosage so that I was taking the minimal amount and adjust as needed.

Take this info to your Dr and work with him NOW on the plan.  Get the scripts in place so that if you're in a world of hurt in three days you have a plan in place to deal with it.  Trying to set this up while getting thrashed is much harder.

-Dennis-

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Quote:
Headache. 2004 Nov-Dec;44(10):1013-8.

Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster headache patients.
Blau JN, Engel HO.

City of London Migraine Clinic, London, UK.

BACKGROUND: Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses--720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved.

OBJECTIVE: To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly.

METHODS: Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary.

RESULTS: Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. CONCLUSIONS: Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary.

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 1:31pm

DennisM1045 wrote on Nov 20th, 2009 at 1:18pm:
Take this info to your Dr and work with him NOW on the plan.  Get the scripts in place so that if you're in a world of hurt in three days you have a plan in place to deal with it.  Trying to set this up while getting thrashed is much harder.
-Dennis-

Now that's some smart advice!

Marc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!