Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Downer Verapamil & Q-tip my Imitrex (Read 1500 times)
angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Downer Verapamil & Q-tip my Imitrex
Nov 18th, 2009 at 5:20pm

Hello,
I've been PF since October 08. I just started on Friday the 13th, 3 days after an extreme drop in temperature here in Alaska.

I just purchased 2 shots of imitrex and was blown away at the price.  $226.87.  And this is the generic version.  "We don't deal with your insurance company" says the pharmacist.  So I have to prepay and send it in myself. 
I remember reading on CH.com about a way to make your Imitrex last, by tossing the injector and using a q-tip.
IT WORKS!!! Now it is $38 a shot instead of $113.  Thank you Thank you Thank you.
btw- i use O2 & Melatonin too.

After my last bout last year, which was a real doozy, I was extremely depressed.  The sadness started during my cycle and I wouldn't leave the house for days.  I was so tired, fatigued, unmotivated, no one wanted to be around me.  Slowly, 3 months after my cycle ended, I seemed to pull out of it.  And I was back to normal.
I wonder if it was the CH's or the Verapamil? I was up to 320/400mg of V.  Did anyone else get depressed (like) feeling, fatigue or have problems with speech, getting what you needed to say out, confused, while on Verapamil?

Is there an antidepressant or upper I can take (never have before) to counter the effects of V (if it is the V)? I am just starting to dose up to 320mg. I don't want to ruin my "happy" chances.

Thanks for listening,
Angela

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Re: Downer Verapamil & Q-tip my Imitrex
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 9:52pm

I have been on verap for years at a time,  and sometimes at maximum doses.  I never had any kind of emotional symptoms from it.  If I were you I would do some research on the drug,  and ask your doc or pharmacitst about it.  I would seriously think twice before adding any antidepressants without asking a doc first.  I never had any side effects from verap.  but meds affect different people in different ways. 

Good luck, and keep us posted
Christine Smiley

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:42am

Thank you Christine.

I have made a call into my doc's nurse.  I will also talk with my pharamicist.

I appreciate the feedback.

Angela

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 1:45pm

For a few folks, high doses of Verap can reduce the BP to the point where lack of energy and a general slowing down is experienced. This is not depression in the clinical sense of the term and so an anti-de is not likely to help.

May have to either reduce the Veap dose to mose to another preventive. Clearly an issue to discuss with  the doc.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 3:35pm

Thanks Bob

I got an appt in the next day, to discuss how to counter act the depression.  More likely from CH's. 

Again, feedback is really helpful.
Angela

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 2:31am

Bob Johnson wrote on Nov 19th, 2009 at 1:45pm:
For a few folks, high doses of Verap can reduce the BP to the point where lack of energy and a general slowing down is experienced. This is not depression in the clinical sense of the term and so an anti-de is not likely to help.

May have to either reduce the Veap dose to mose to another preventive. Clearly an issue to discuss with  the doc.

Myself in the mid-50's, slowing down can be body preferred, but after a long physical day at work, energy issues with a low BP need recuperative sleep.  It's a Catch-22 though because the verap allows this, preventing hits.  Tried to switch treatment but had to go back.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 8:41am

angela.lambert wrote on Nov 18th, 2009 at 5:20pm:
I wonder if it was the CH's or the Verapamil? I was up to 320/400mg of V.  Did anyone else get depressed (like) feeling, fatigue or have problems with speech, getting what you needed to say out, confused, while on Verapamil?

Thanks for listening,
Angela

I am chronic CH and have been on verapamil for years.  For me...It's the CH that causes the speech issues and thinking issues you mentioned not the verapamil.  I experience these problems after almost all my CH hits. 

As to the depression my bet there is on the CH as well.  We suffer massive amounts of pain that's enough to make anyone depressed.  Just remember there is an end to each CH hit.

Verapamil is a calcium blocker / heart med. / bp med. and generally does not affect mood.

Hope this helps!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!