Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imigran (nasal spray) (Read 3879 times)
lhiannanshee
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Imigran (nasal spray)
Nov 13th, 2009 at 1:31am

Oh my dear lord I just tried Imigran nasal spray, the 10mg one.  Does that work for anyone? It didn't seem to work for me, and keep getting waves of nausea and that horrible taste though I took it over an hour ago now.  My doc said if the 10mg didn't work, they'd try me on the 20mg.  It seems to just be horrible!

p.s I'm currently reading a lot but with only a maybe-see-a-neurologist I haven't been commenting much incase it's not this.  Hope you guys don't mind fielding my medication questions :p

edited because I can't spell.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2009 at 1:33am by lhiannanshee »  

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Re: Imigran (nasal spray)
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 4:56am

Your doctor is a cheapskate and is starting to make me cross.
Imigran nasal spray isn't recommended for CH, Imigran subcutaneous injections ARE.
Tell her to look in her BNF* under cluster headaches. She will see it says Imigran INJECTIONS not nasal sprays or tablets. They don't work fast enough to be effective. She is trying to withold the medication you need on grounds of cost and thats not acceptable.
"Injections" sound scary but they're not really. Its a pen type thing, kind of like a diabetic pin prick. It literally goes just under the skin so it's not like an injection at all. Once she prescribes those for you come back and we'll give you some tips on how to use them.

You might prefer to ask her about Oxygen. That is a lot cheaper, a lot more effective in my personal view and is centrally funded so it wont come directly out of her surgeries budget which is quite obviously a cause of concern to her (which is laziness to as surgeries with high cost patients CAN get extra money, they just need to fill in forms and that means work  Roll Eyes )

Oxygen will be delivered right to your house. When filling in a HOOF (home oxygen order form) she will need to tick a box for "Ambulatory" so you get cylinders you can carry about. You need high flow at 15litres per minute and non rebreather masks. This will all be supplied by the O2 company when they deliver but they need to know all this. She should also write "cluster headaches" in the comments box. We'll help again with all sorts of tips when you have got that in place/ on order!

I hope it helps! Let us know how you're doing, I've been thinking about you and how you were getting on
Helen

BNF = British National Formulary. AKA Doctors prescribing bible!

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 5:45am

Haven't heard of a n/s Imitrex(gran) of 10mg and not aware if it's adequate for clusters.  Certainly isn't cherry flavored, but don't kinda snort it, just breathe in normally if used.  The 20mg is pretty standard.  First times can be unfriendly, especially if it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2009 at 5:49am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

lhiannanshee
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 6:18am

My doc is a cost-concerned one.  Sad  Got a neurologist appointment for end of January and she said they would prescribe oxygen/injections if I get actually diagnosed seen as she doesn't have the expertise to diagnose anything apart from migranes (I swear to god she didn't go to medical school for 5 years to learn 'this is a migrane and students, NEVER LOOK AT A MEDICAL BOOK AGAIN!').  It just all seems to take so long!  I suppose that is the drawback of not having to pay upfront though.  Money free but slow.
I'll go back and bully her some more lol.  She should realise though, the sooner she gives me something effective, the sooner I'll go away  Roll Eyes lol.
Thanks for your advice, and just letting me whine too :p

Emily

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 6:44am

lhiannanshee wrote on Nov 13th, 2009 at 6:18am:
My doc is a cost-concerned one.  Sad  Got a neurologist appointment for end of January and she said they would prescribe oxygen/injections if I get actually diagnosed seen as she doesn't have the expertise to diagnose anything apart from migranes

Not sure if it's a cost concern or if she's treating for migraines as she can, to not overextend her reach in this area.  Same with my first appointment with a doc long time ago.

January is a long in cluster time to wait for more effective treatment with diagnosis.  It may even occur that if episodic, things may have settled somewhat by then.  This is the meantime.  If by need the 20mg Imigran is requested, even so, the next inadequate finding may be quantity. 

Not sure of attaining oxygen with migraine treatment, it would be great if needed, somehow.

Quote:
  I'm currently reading a lot but with only a maybe-see-a-neurologist I haven't been commenting much incase it's not this.

Diagnosis is really important here though, if with clusters, a priority sooner than presently scheduled.  It is left to wonder whether some effect might have been achieved with 10mg if clusters. 

There is a cluster quiz on the menu list to the left. 
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2009 at 6:59am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 7:23am

Emily, ring your neuro's secretary and explain you have an appt but you're in a great deal of pain and need help now. Can they consider you for any cancellations? It will help alot and I can almost guarantee you'll get seen a lot sooner too.

Let me know if I can help in any way at all, I will, even if it's just to talk!
Helen

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 7:45am

Quote:
BNF = British National Formulary. AKA Doctors prescribing bible!

Probably the Anglo equivalent of what is known in the States as the PDR, or Physician's Desk Reference.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 11:36am

Zomig NS (5 mg) is my last resort salvation (after O2 and energy drink)....has only failed me once in 5 yrs (please God, let that not be a jinx)...very little of the bad taste and fewer side effects than I hear about re Imitrex...everyones different, but might be worth a try...ask the doc for samples, as it is damned expensive.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 2:08pm

Jon my sweet lovely bonedome - we don't have samples here in the UK, different system. The doc will just dish out a prescription and that is it.

I thank you for helping though cos it gives me the chance to smooch you!  Smiley

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 2:19pm

Yep for most of us injections are the preferred form of Imitrex for CH. And they REALLY work. No barfing.

They're expensive as all heck, but taking half doses is as effective as taking full doses. the "imitrex tip" button on the left of the forum view (if it shows up for you) details how to do the halfsies.

Meantime if your typically lazy/ignorant doctor doesn't want to prescribe O2, there's always the work around of getting it toot sweet from a welding supply place. Well at least in the US....not sure if that whole thing applies or need apply there.

In any case, ya wanna proceed directly to the "oxygen info" link on the left here to get the real skinny on how to use the stuff. Doctors don't know. (trying to cram some American colloquialisms in here, in hopes it'll seem boorish or charming or something out of the ordinary). Grin

« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2009 at 2:26pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 2:20pm

Quote:
Jon my sweet lovely bonedome

I hope Jon laughs as much about that one as I did.  Grin

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

lhiannanshee
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 2:34pm

Hehe, bejeeber, bless your Americanism :p and lol bonedome.
I am probably harsh on my doctor, she's probably trying her best but it really hurts! lol.  Doesn't make me ever so kind to her.  I don't handle pain and tiredness very well, lol.
I'll ring the secretary in the morning and cross fingers, hopefully that'll bump me forward.  Thanks for all your advice, I've done the quiz to the left and my symtpoms seem fairly consistent but I haven't had any form of MRI or anything get to check out the sinister stuff or even benign oddities so I'm hesitant to say its this, incase it's something else.

Emily

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 2:46pm

bejeeber wrote on Nov 13th, 2009 at 2:20pm:
Quote:

Heh heh heh, it wouldn't stop me anyhow 'cos I'm evil! He's known me too long to take much notice of me (which is actually a good thing!)

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 3:49pm

Quote:
Jon my sweet lovely bonedome - we don't have samples here in the UK, different system. The doc will just dish out a prescription and that is it.

You mean to tell me your poor stinkin sawbones don't have 20 something walking pulchritudeettes with legs (and skirts) up to here and cleavage down to there pimpin (and layin out the samples) the latest massively expensive chemical 2 x 4 to them...so they will prescribe (through the drool) for their unwary supplicants???

Sheesh...no wonder OUR medical system is SO SUPERIOR...welll, what can you expect from a nation that drinks its beer warm!

Smoooches back...... Kiss

jon bone
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2009 at 4:16pm by jon019 »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 4:07pm

bejeeber wrote on Nov 13th, 2009 at 2:20pm:
Quote:

Ya know that crazy aunt or uncle that every family has? The one they keep locked in the back bedroom
and only let out at Christmas? THAT'S our Bean...crazy as a loon, nutty as a squirrel, never knowing boot from bonnet, bangers all mixed up with her mash, mad as a box of frogs....a right cheeky monkey Shocked Cheesy Roll Eyes

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 4:23pm

Yeah Jon you know how it is - it's only "there" that "the first one is free" LOL  Tongue

Our medical system is completely different. I've got no complaints I can assure you and you can only complain because, thanks to our NHS, I'm still here and not face down in the dirt!

I'm not picking on you too much though because of all those lovely compliments you just paid me - I've gone all warm and mushy and teary now *sniff*  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!