Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seratonin Syndrome? (Read 825 times)
Sixpack
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Honey Brook, PA
Seratonin Syndrome?
Nov 12th, 2009 at 10:20pm

Hey folks! Feeling another cycle coming and have recently been put on Paxil for depression.  Reading through the literature and it says that taking triptans with the SSRI "can" cause a potentially fatal reaction called Seratonin Syndrome.  Anyone have any clue? Possibly a different anti-depressant?  Kind of lost on this one.  Going to ask the doc....but curious as to other folks' experience with this.  Thanks.

Bud

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Re: Seratonin Syndrome?
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 8:00am

No Idea....but your doc should know.

welcome back...hope its a short cycle for you!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 9:16am

There is some technical talk here you can overlook but the conclusion is: no clear evidence of risk at this time.

As with any med, report new/unusual experiences to you doc. Symptoms:

Symptoms occur within minutes to hours, and may include:

Agitation or restlessness
Diarrhea
Fast heart beat
Hallucinations
Increased body temperature
Loss of coordination
Nausea
Overactive reflexes
Rapid changes in blood pressure
Vomiting
[w.drugs.com]
=======

The FDA Alert on Serotonin Syndrome: Analysis of 29 Case Reports

The FDA alert concluded:

Serotonin syndrome following concomitant SSRI or SNRI and triptan use is biologically plausible. SSRIs, SNRIs, and triptans independently increase serotonin levels. Therefore, it is expected that concomitant use of SSRIs or SNRIs and triptans would result in higher serotonin levels than the serotonin levels observed with the use of SSRIs, SNRIs, or triptans alone, potentially leading to serotonin syndrome.[1]

------para. deleted here

Although the incidence of serotonin syndrome among patients on SSRI monotherapy has been estimated in the range of 0.5-0.9 cases per 1000 patient-months of treatment,[16] there have been no reported cases of serotonin syndrome due to triptans taken alone.[6] A prospective postmarketing safety study[17] for up to 1 year of subcutaneous sumatriptan use in 1784 migraineurs on SSRIs found no cases of serotonin syndrome. Of the 29 cases obtained from the FDA ( Table 3 ), 7 met the Sternbach serotonin syndrome criteria and no cases fulfilled the Hunter criteria. It is certainly possible that additional definite cases may be reported with greater physician awareness of these potential drug interactions and serotonin syndrome.

Triptans, when administered with SSRIs or SNRIs, might rarely precipitate serotonin syndrome. Does this justify routinely advising our patients of this possibility as the FDA advisory recommends and perhaps unnecessarily alarming them? Some migraineurs might be so alarmed that they would not want to take a triptan that could be quite efficacious. Anecdotally, few physicians are currently advising patients of the possible risk. (When I asked this question to 149 family medicine physicians from throughout Texas during a lecture on migraine in July 2007, only one indicated that he did routinely advise his patients.)

Physicians should be better informed about the information behind FDA alerts and warnings. Case information should be made readily available on the FDA Web site, so that clinicians and researchers can independently evaluate the data. (In my telephone calls to the FDA, I asked why the cases were not made available with the advisory. I was told that that was not FDA policy and that if I believed the FDA policy should be changed, I should contact my congressional representative.)

The evidence does not support any change in the use of triptans with SSRIs or SNRIs. In the unlikely event that a patient does develop symptoms and signs consistent with serotonin syndrome, the syndrome should of course be appropriately treated as discussed. I fully agree with the fine print at the bottom of the FDA advisory: "This information reflects FDA's preliminary analysis of data concerning this drug. FDA is considering, but has not reached a final conclusion about this information. FDA intends to update this sheet when additional information or analyses become available."[1]

[Medscape search, 11/13/09]
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2009 at 9:32am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Sixpack
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Honey Brook, PA
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 4:37pm

Thanks for the welcome back and well wishes, lorac!  Smiley

Bob, thanks.  I hadn't read that study.  It puts me at a bit more ease.

I called my family doctor today about it and he stated that I "should try to use the triptans sparingly", but he wasn't "overly concerned" about the chance of the seratonin syndrome.  He said that if I should go into another cycle, I should get in to see my neuro again and ask him if there is something else that I should try as an abortive.  Overall, I am pleased with this.  Thanks again for your help. 

Pain Free Wishes To All!

Bud

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!