Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peace and prayers requested... (Read 3439 times)
catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Peace and prayers requested...
Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:08am

I know this will seem ridiculous to some, but I am in an awful state.  My cat Wiley, whom I've had for 17 years, longer than 2 of my children and my husband, has taken a serious turn.

About 2 months ago he developed a growth on his cheek, at first we suspected an abscessed tooth, but it turned out to be some form of tumor.  The only way to know for sure was a biopsy, a very expensive one, and one that I honestly don't think he would have survived - he was a rescue animal, and vets terrify him to the point he will not eat for days afterwards and will hide from everyone for at least 2 days. 

He had been eating and drinking, doing all his normal activities just fine, so I decided to wait it out.

I awoke this morning to find that there was blood all over 'his' bathroom.  I keep his box, food and water in a separate location for his sole comfort so he doesn't have to fight with the other cats (although he'd win..he's always been alpha male, even with the dogs.)

I checked him, and his mouth is bleeding, not just a little bit either.  Clark is on his way home so we can take him to the vet.  I don't know if I can go....if this is the end....I don't know if I can do it....he's slept beside my head purring for 17 years, how do you say goodbye - how do you make an animal understand, and if I don't go, will he never forgive me? 

I'm such a mess.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cat who is about to want to change her name.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Re: Peace and prayers requested...
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:15am

Cry

Ah, Cat, I know how hard this is for you.  I know it does't help, but, look at it this way.  For 17 years, Wiley has had a life that most people would envy, and that is because of *you*.  I know about *not* going when an animal has to be sent across the Rainbow Bridge.  After Casey left us, I haven't been able to go on that last ride with any of our animals.

love,
me

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:16am

Peace and prayers coming your way.  It's never easy at this time in their lives.

We're here for you.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:53am

Sorry you're in such terrible shape as well as your friend. It's harder on us than on them. It's crappy that our pets don't have longer. You're doing all you can and I hope that he'll recover. You too.

The others are right. He's lucky to have you. My Aunt always says that if there's re-incarnation, she wants to come back as one of her dogs. What a deal they have had.

Charlie

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:54am by Charlie »  

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:11am

Sorry to hear about your kitty. They do become family.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:53am

Cat,

I'm sorry about your little friend.  I'll be thinking of you both....

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:37am

catlind wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:08am:
I don't know if I can go....if this is the end....I don't know if I can do it....he's slept beside my head purring for 17 years, how do you say goodbye - how do you make an animal understand, and if I don't go, will he never forgive me?

For 17 years he gave you comfort, now it's time to return the favor.  BUT, if it really IS too much to bear for you, he will understand as he has given you unconditional love all his life, and will continue up till the end.

I'm very sorry Cat, I truely am. Cry

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:46am

Our pets work their way into our hearts and stay.  I am so sorry to hear that Wiley is not well.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Beth

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Champaign, IL
Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:36am

My Dearest Cat... Been there done that...

Whether we call them pets, companions, critters, furballs, fuzzies or any of the endearing names people use, the loss of our precious animal friends can be a devastating experience.

The following sight was very helpful when I lost Princess Marie (my Toy Poodle)....

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I will keep you in my heart and Prayers..

Peace & Blessings
LadyLuv

Ruthie Harper Ruthie Harper  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:28pm

Both are on their way...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

BigMatt
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:28pm

My girlfriend just had to put down her cat a month ago and she was 19.5 years old, it was very tough on her but she focused on the fact that her poor kitty was in pain and had been for a long time even though she never showed it. It is a compassionate thing you are doing if your kitty is in pain, he lived a very long life and probably a very happy one so remember that you gave him a great life and if it has to be done you are giving him a compassionate ending to the wonderful life.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:41pm

Oh Cat, we are so very sorry. All our prayers are on the way. Wiley is so fortunate to have you as his owners, and whatever decision you make it will be from your heart.

We too are dealing right now with our 9 year old Siamese. Ceaser has been at the Vet's since Saturday and is stiil there. He has very low potassium levels and could not have a bowel movement, so more tests are being done.

We know exactly what you are going through and you will be in ours thoughts and prayers until you get this sorted out with your kitty.

B&A Cry Cry

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 2:08pm

Thank you everyone for you kind words, thoughts, prayers and encouragement.

At 10:25 a.m. Wiley passed peacefully in my arms, purring the whole time.  The vets checked and agreed, with an oralfacial tumor there is little to nothing that can be done.  It seems the tumor went necrotic and burst, and to have left him - even with pain medication, would have risked aspiration.

Wiley looked me straight in the eye, and he knew, and I swear he was telling me it was time.  I held him close, and I gave him all the love I could possibly give. 

17 years ago, when I went looking for a kitty, my Daddy was with me, and he was a sailor and an avid boater.  When they brought Wiley out to me, he was purring so loud Dad said "You have to take that one, he has an Evinrude" (Boaters will know what I mean).
That Evinrude motor has run beside my head for 17 years now.  My Dad passed away almost 10 years ago now, so I am trusting that now Daddy is taking care of my little Evinrude running Wiley.

Again, thank you everyone for your support.  I am truly lost, after 17 years I just don't know what to do.

Luv ya all
Cat - who doesn't feel very cat like right now.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 2:36pm

Oh Cat,

I'm so very sorry. Cry   

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:20pm

I'm sorry, Sweetie....so very sorry.

Love & Comforting Hugs,
Mom (the other one)

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #15 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:06pm

I'm sorry Cat.  It is amazing the level of love between people and their pets.  They do become family, because the love they give is not conditional based on what you do for them, just that you are there.  Unfortunately, death is a part of living.  It comes to all of us and always leaves a hole.  You do have the memories though that will last.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Langa
CH.com Alumnus

So many donuts, such little
time...

x0||USA|usa|0|0|NJ,New_Jersey
Reply #16 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:09pm

Oh man, I'm so sorry Cat.  I can't imagine when Peanut's time comes.  It was beautiful to read that Wiley went peacefully in his mommy's arms though.  Cry

Langa

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #17 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:48pm

Cat, you had to make one of the toughest decisions today that a pet owner faces. Wiley is no longer in pain. RIP Wiley.
We are all here for you Cat, be strong.

Barry & Angie Smiley Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #18 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:52pm

He'll still be near your head tonight Cat.  I promise you.

Love you and I'm here if you need me...
(((((Cat)))))

...mel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #19 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 7:17pm

Cat,

You are in our thoughts and prayers tonight. Doing the right thing is rarely ever doing the easy thing.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:08pm

Oh Cat...so sorry for your loss...and keep the name...it fits.

Wiley will always be there....wrapped around your heart...as you were his.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #21 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:13pm

That's really heartbreaking.

I wouldn't be surprised if you hear that purring again one night when you're dreaming or in a half waking state.

And it's not really "just" a dream - it's your kitty stopping by to let you know everything's good, and that he loves you.  Cry

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #22 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:56pm

catlind wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 2:08pm:

Wiley looked me straight in the eye, and he knew, and I swear he was telling me it was time. 

He DID tell you it was time, and you loved him enough to let him go, to free him from pain.

It's never easy to love and lose.  But you did the right thing and you are a better person having had him in your life.

Peace and healing to you my friend.  There are many grieving with you this night, myself included.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #23 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:28am

sorry, Cat.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!