Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lidocaine/steriod injection? (Read 1982 times)
Versilleus
CH.com Junior

Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Lidocaine/steriod injection?
Nov 8th, 2009 at 7:45pm

I saw Dr. Gordon Robinson (Vancouver - Neurologist) and he gave me an injection of Lidocaine & a steroid (cortisol maybe?) on the left side at the base of my neck. It has not been as helpful as was hoped. Has anyone else also received this treatment? Was it beneficial? How long did it last for?

Paul

WWW 613755728  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Re: Lidocaine/steriod injection?
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 9:51pm

Never heard of it.  Others will tell you more info.

Good luck!

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 11:09pm

Hi Paul,
I had this procedure done in June.  I had the clearest head that I have had since February after having it, but unfortunately it only lasted a day for me.  My clusters came back slowly over the next few days to "normal" and I have them daily.  Others have had better success - months of PF time, as I understand from others I have talked to!    Cool

And Joni - the procedure is commonly referred to as GON Block, Greater Occipital Nerve Block, or ONB - just Occipital Nerve Block.   Wink

Sorry you didn't have better success Paul... I had pain at the injection site, but wouldn't have given up my PF day for Nothing!!! 

Val

val2651  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 11:16pm

Thanks, Val.  I just may need that info someday!  I learn something every day!

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:03am

I had this done too.  I had maybe one day with SOME relief.  That means no HA's, but severe shadows etc.  I had it done a 2nd time, with absolutely no results.  I even had trigger point injections (which are helpful for migraines)  which also were not helpful.  I was hoping to get some PF weeks or even months as well, but it wasn't to be!  Hang in.

IP Logged

MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:35am

I have had this done several years back, the Dr. would give me the lidocaine/steroid injection (in 2 different spots), He gave my wife lidocaine to use after I left. It worked ok but I was chronic and with several attacks each day I needed too many injections so I finally had to stop MikeS

manicmechanic

IP Logged

Versilleus
CH.com Junior

Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 6:41pm

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only who it didn't work very well for. My experience was very similar to Val's.

Next he wants to try Botox. It it affective? Are the success rates high?

Paul

WWW 613755728  
IP Logged

trucker
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 11:22pm

My husband has had multiple trigger point injections with kenalog and lidocaine and now stronger steroids and lidocaine.  When the lidocaine wears off so does the pain relief.  Sorry, I just pray there will be another way.  But it seems that what works for one may not work for the other.  Maybe you will have better success.  We will pray for CH sufferers.

IP Logged

hoosierdaddy
CH.com Junior

Are we having fun yet?

x0|Allison Park|USA||0|0|PA
Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 8:34am

Versilleus,

I think the procedure you had done is a Occipital Nerve Block. I myself have had several done. I have had some help for a week or two. I think it may be how accurately it is injected. It may also be the steroid in the shot because I'm PF on Prednisone. I've been on Verapamil and Indomethacin as a preventative and it seems to help. Imetrex injections as an abortive works for me.

Good Luck
Greg

Seriously???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!