Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I am soo confused: Taurine (Read 673 times)
lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
I am soo confused: Taurine
Oct 31st, 2009 at 9:17pm

I have been reading a lot about Taurine, and it seems that either its really good , or really bad.

The vitamin sellers tout it as great. of course.

some articles say its bad, and even may cause diabetes.

The Mayo Clinic has good things to say about it.

Some of the articles say it helps to utilize vitamins etc in the body, and can regulate the heart rythms. And reduce high blood pressure, through its diaretic effects.

Some say it magnifies the effect of some meds.

Also read that it is good for the liver and kidneys, as it helps clear them , as well as cleaning the viens of plaque.
   I take Verapamil, and all I know is that I didn't have a problem, till I started taking the Taurine, then my heart rythms went awry.   Maybe I took too much?  1000 mg.   I don't know.  Maybe its the Verapamil building up.
    Some here say it is helping them a lot, along with Kudzu.   
  Perhaps its just not to be taken with certain meds??

What are your thoughts on it???????????   lorac

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Re: I am soo confused: Taurine
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 11:28pm

Taurine still needs a lot of research to fully understand.

I just read the thread in other section and as Brew says it seems to create some issues with other medications, namely verapamil and other calcium channel blockers of this type wich may work against each other in the nervous system.

That said Taurine is sometimes used to help irregular heart rythyms.
It appears that it can help with our bodies electrical functions between muscle cells and the nervous system. How I'm not sure, but this may be one of the reasons it may help with CH.

Hopefully Monty will pipe in.

In the energy drinks it acts as the turbo for the energizing ingredients ie: caffeine, B-vitamins et al. The energy boost is most likely the aide for us, cant say its the taurine alone as there is no real proof of that.
I think it may also help to reduce the wired feelings one may get from high caffeine and sugar doses in the energy drinks.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2009 at 11:34pm by MJ »  

MJ

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Re: I am soo confused: Taurine
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 2:05am

I'm no expert on it, only what it does for me, but I have read in more than one place that it can magnify the effects of calcium channel blockers, i.e. Verap.  The two should not be used in combination.  As with any medication you need to be careful of interactions to cause a negative result.  Used separately they work fine, but combined you have issues.

It wouldn't have taken me so long to tell all I know if my fingers would have cooperated! Cheesy

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!