Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
random baseball thoughts...... (Read 1120 times)
jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
random baseball thoughts......
Oct 31st, 2009 at 1:35pm

It's World Series time and I'm jazzed!

My Father was born in New York City in 1905 and was a Yankees fan. He saw Murderers Row up close and personal, and all the other greats of the time. Told me lots of stories that I was too young and dumb to commit to memory. Do have a couple:

Seems many teams infields played Babe Ruth way back past the dirt. Every once in a while, Babe would lay down a bunt...WALK to first... and stand there laughing his ass off.

One of the Yankee outfielders had a weak arm (sound familiar?)...can't remember the name but he was apparently a good fielder. Would catch the ball and toss it to Babe or the other fielder for the throw in.

Negro League teams frequently played "exhibitions" at Yankee stadium. Dad particularly enjoyed these, because he appreciated baseball excellence, and didn't give a damn what a man's color was. Told me the best ballplayer he EVER saw was catcher Josh Gibson. He could throw a strike to second base, on a line, without coming out of his crouch. Said the longest homerun he ever saw at Yankee Stadium was hit by Josh.

My thoughts:

The best baseball book title, heck maybe ANY book title: "Only The Ball Was White" (history of the Negro Leagues).

Best nickname..."Cool Papa" Bell. Who wouldn't want to be known as a Cool Papa???. It was said of him (I think Satchel)..."he could turn out the lights and be in bed before it got dark". "He could hit a ball to the shortstop and be on third when the play was over."

My favorite player, ever...Willie McCovey. The majesty was mesmerizing. I love me some of "Stretch".

Best baseball movie...it's a tie..."Field of Dreams"..if ya got a heart and a head for baseball, hearing this...from THE VOICE of James Earl Jones...heck it STILL chokes me up....

Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

AND, "Bull Durham".... as close to "inside" baseball as I'm ever likely to see...and funnier than shit to boot...I mean c'mon..."the rose goes in the front big fella"

I LOVE the game...and I played. Was a Little League All-Star, but that was my peak. In high school my position was...left out and right pine Grin. But I did personally get to see Larry Christianson (Marysville, Wa...Philadelphia Phillies) throw a one hitter and hit two homeruns. There were REAL baseball scouts in the stands. Remember thinking...geez, they're all fat and smoking cigars.....

I could go on and on and on....

“Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball.” Jacques Barzun

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: random baseball thoughts......
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 1:42pm

Quote:
Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 3:21pm

I recently read "Catcher: How the Man Behind the Plate Became an American Folk Hero" by Peter Morris.  It was a fascinating history of the Catcher's position. 

I'll admit I didn't finish it because it got too dry for me, but most of it was excellent.  I recommend it if you like baseball.

"A good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while."

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 4:09pm

Cool, Pat....thank you. I'll be reading that!

One of the dumbest phrases I've ever heard is that
catchers wear "the tools of ignorance". It's exactly the opposite....they are the smartest person on the field.

Thinking it came about because the abuse suffered
is unimaginable for those without the heart...

Best,

Jon

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 5:05pm

Quote:
My favorite player, ever...Willie McCovey.

All-around player.  A picture of him sliding into second is etched in my brain.

Great being a kid in the sixties.

Frank and Yaz, back-to back triple crowns, not one since.

Who didn't want a glove with Brooks Robinson's name on it.

The loooong ball hitter -- Frank Howard

Favorite -- Harmon Killebrew.  Watched him so much I emulated his high-held batting style.  Worked alright.

Respected -- Roberto Clemente.  His expanding of national pride in baseball outside the U. S. to the territory.  When hero status and charitable person went hand in hand.

Of course though, local favorite -- Al Kaline.  Scouted from high school, batting champ the year I was born.  Saw him throw a strike to the plate from right field to beat a slide, and snag a hit to right, throwing the batter out at first base.  Came through big in a very exciting '68 World Series.  Another humble and great personality of the game.

Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2009 at 5:16pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 6:04pm

some people go cuckoo over the world series. Smiley
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 6:08pm

Kevin_M wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 5:05pm:
Quote:
My favorite player, ever...Willie McCovey.

All-around player.  A picture of him sliding into second is etched in my brain.

Thank you Kevin...as my Asian friends would say..."you make my heart come glad". An image of him at the plate is etched in MY brain. I used to feel bad, and scared, for the pitcher....

Great being a kid in the sixties.

Ummmmm...yup...

Frank and Yaz, back-to back triple crowns, not one since.

On my bucket list...Fenway Park...specifically, on top of the "Green Monster". I wanna see where Yaz performed his magic. Won the batting title at .301...they pay utility fielders millions for that now...sigh...

Who didn't want a glove with Brooks Robinson's name on it.

The human vacuum cleaner...never seen anything like it....

The loooong ball hitter -- Frank Howard

I wanted "guns" like that....even at 10 yrs old I felt bad he was on such a bad team....

Favorite -- Harmon Killebrew.  Watched him so much I emulated his high-held batting style.  Worked alright.

I loved "The Killer" too....In 1965, my fifth grade teacher, Mr Ziegler, would sneak us into the auditorium to watch the Twins-Dodgers WS games. The girls couldn't fathom...I've NEVER forgotten.

Respected -- Roberto Clemente.  His expanding of national pride in baseball outside the U. S. to the territory.  When hero status and charitable person went hand in hand.

Played like his hair was on fire...watching him run was like watching Secretariat....and the only outfield arm I've ever seen similar is Ichiro's....

Of course though, local favorite -- Al Kaline.  Scouted from high school, batting champ the year I was born.  Saw him throw a strike to the plate from right field to beat a slide, and snag a hit to right, throwing the batter out at first base.  Came through big in a very exciting '68 World Series.  Another humble and great personality of the game.

Al and Mickey and Norm and Bill and Jim and Willie and Mayo and Denny and and and...1968...oh my...

Smiley

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 8:20pm

My favorite was Johnny Callison, maybe a little bit because he was distant kin.  He tied Willie Mays for the batting crown one year, I'm wanting to say 67, but I'm not sure.

Loved to watch Jim Bunning pitch.  Tried to copy his kick and fell over backward. Grin  Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver have to be two of the greatest of that era with Nolen Ryan coming along a little later.  Whitey Ford was awesome in his time as well.  For pure fun watching him pitch was Phil Niekro.  Nobody knew where the ball was going, including him.  Hoyt Wilhelm was another great knuckleballer.  Gaylord Perry and his splitter/spitter was another fun one.

Bobby Richardson and Tom Tresh were a great infield combo.  To bad they were on the Yankees!

Haven't paid any attention at all, nor gone to a Major League game since the last strike.  Got fed up and don't intend to go back.  We've got a couple of minor league teams in the area, and I'd rather watch kids who are playing cause they want to and that I can get in for what it costs for a hot dog and coke in the Majors.

Jon, you've brought back memories of the time I lived for baseball, and rarely went a day without doing something with a ball, even if it was only bouncing it off the side of the house of the roof making myself catch the crazy bounces.  I miss those days.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 9:15pm

Callico wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 8:20pm:
Jon, you've brought back memories of the time I lived for baseball, and rarely went a day without doing something with a ball, even if it was only bouncing it off the side of the house of the roof making myself catch the crazy bounces.  I miss those days.

Jerry

It don't get much better than that Jerry....

If they play ball in heaven, AND I make it....

Put me in Coach ("J")...I wanna play...CENTERFIELD!
"Singin Willl-eeee, Mickey...and the DUKE...say hey, say HEY, say
HEY
!!!"

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 9:18pm

-johnny- wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 6:04pm:
some people go cuckoo over the world series. Smiley

Dial up here...I'll watch this at work (shhhhh) on Monday Roll Eyes. Thanks Johnny.....

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 9:38pm

If you build it, he will come . . . .

Get thee to Dyersville, Iowa next summer and visit the Field of Dreams.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 6:32am

Quote:
1968...oh my...

What made it great also was the Cards line-up they beat.    Shocked

Quote:

Jerry

A little poem about those days before even "F" league eligible when the kids on the street went over to an empty field and played all summer long, written the mid-90's, the day before a CVS back parking lot was built over it.  Sandlot Hill, kind of like a Boot Hill of memories.

Sandlot Hill

The green grass growing
On an empty city lot,
Never needed cutting
As our private summer plot.

On this open ground
No one said we couldn't play,
Us boys chose up the sides
And competed everyday.

We challenged other streets,
Wore a diamond in the ground.
Pitched and swang the bat,
Snagging horsehides on the bound.

Important throws to second,
Stressful pop-ups in the air;
With the thrill of getting hits
Came the fun of being there.

Our field was never used again,
By thirty years, of kids around.
Empty, it still stands today,
With diamond memory footprints, buried in the ground.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2009 at 6:58am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 1:01pm

Jerry mentioned Whitey Ford and that brought back memories.

My dad was Cliff Fannin, (nickname "The Mule), pitcher for the St. Louis Browns (last season played was 1952, I believe). 

I remember, as a little girl, a bunch of ballplayers would go to a trout farm, wish I could remember where it was, and spend a couple days or so.  There were small cabins at this lake, and my Mom and Dad had one, along with the other players and their families staying in the other ones. 

Whitey Ford and my Dad "helped" me catch trout for dinner.  They built a big bonfire and cooked that day's catch on grills, then sat around the fire with their beer and conversation.  I sat on Whitey's lap in front of the bonfire until I would fall asleep, then Mom would put me to bed in the cabin, as did the other players who had their children there.  All the adults took turns checking into the cabins to make sure all the kiddies were sleeping soundly.

Thanks for bringing those memories back to me, Jerry.  They are precious ones.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 4:12pm

I'm sorry, I have to retract my previous post.  It wasn't Whitey Ford, It was Whitey Platt from the St. Louis Browns.  (I knew it was a Whitey guy).

But, I still say:  Thanks for the memories.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!