Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Basic Questions about CH's (Read 811 times)
Marc
Ex Member

Basic Questions about CH's
Oct 28th, 2009 at 10:38pm

Do the classic Cluster Headache guidelines need to be changed relative to the ratio of Men/Women who suffer from CH’s?

I’ve been here since ’99 and watching the folks checking in here with a diagnosis of Cluster Headache, I would have to assume that the ratio is way different than originally published.

Look at the numbers of active members on this site. (which may not be representative) Seems like women are far more prevalent than before.

I posted this question here years ago and was attacked. I’m NOT saying that women don’t get Clusters, so don't even go there!

Over the years I’ve also seen an increase in “Atypical Clusters” and “Cluster Migraines” and "Clusters with Migraines" being diagnosed more frequently.  It is my opinion that doctors who don’t know any better say “Clusters” when they are at a loss of what to do next for their suffering patient - so they hang the CH tag.

I may be way off base on these thoughts because they limited by my own experiences. So I pose the questions:

- Do Cluster Headaches in fact encompass a much wider variety of symptoms than originally believed?

- Are there many types of Cluster Headaches?

- Are CH’s far more prevalent in women than previously thought? Is there a pattern?

Nobody should have to suffer because their doctor didn’t know what they were suffering from.

Keep in mind that works both ways........

Marc

IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Re: Basic Questions about CH's
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 11:39pm

As to your question of Are there many types of CH - I would have to say there are certainly more than originally believed. 

Prof. Goadsby has participated in enough research that the IHS actually changed the classification of CH to both a primary AND secondary headache disorder and it was previously believed to be ONLY a primary headache disorder. 

It seems to me that if they can identify another correlating condition that can bring on CH (or at the very least mimic it extremely well) that there will be other conditions that will do the same.  I can't say how you would classify that, is it another kind of CH or a mutation of CH in it's original form etc.  Doctors are certainly more informed in just the last 5 years than they were when I first started seeking a diagnosis nearly 10 years ago.  I believe it's become misdiagnosed more as well.  I don't know that we understand enough about all the mechanisms involved in CH to categorically say one way or the other.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cat

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:10am

Quote:
Do the classic Cluster Headache guidelines need to be changed relative to the ratio of Men/Women who suffer from CH’s?

Men = 100%
Women = 0%

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 8:55am

Quote:
Over the years I’ve also seen an increase in "Atypical Clusters" liAand "Cluster Migraines" and "Clusters with Migraines" being diagnosed more frequently.  It is my opinion that doctors who don’t know any better say "Clusters" when they are at a loss of what to do next for their suffering patient - so they hang the CH tag.

I may be way off base on these thoughts because they limited by my own experiences.

Also limited by own experiences, I never even get a headache except CH.

I converse well with my boss and during a harrowing time with Ch, thought I better bring up that an incidence may occur in which I may have to disappear a short time for a med to take effect, and told her what I have.  She walked to her purse and pulled out Imitrex, relating her experiences while completely understanding. 

An approaching headache would suddenly ramp up, just occasionally, to a point where she blacks out.  The first time while driving but just happened to be stopped at a railroad crossing waiting on a long train.  She's been diagnosed with migraines and in time prescribed the "wonder" to her, Imitrex.

Now, this seemed to me atypical, but inquiring a bit more, intense pain, but not one-sided, not in clusters.

While a person can have clusters and then migraines as well, atypical things make me wonder too what is correct, unlikely to know though.  Accordingly, whenever mention of symptoms unlike my own or other factors are involved have been related, I tend not to comment now except basic ch information within a familiar zone.

Grin     Shut up, Bob.

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:01am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 11:32am

I think we are definately seeing more women diagnosed than what those numbers state as a ratio. 

Also, Migraines are like a catch-all for undiagnosed or misdiagnosed headaches.  For those doctors which have never heard of clusters and know nothing about them, they think migraines in clusters = Clusterheadaches. 

I also think Cluster traits tend to be very specific and almost universal.  The runny nostril, the watery eye, only 1 sided, the distinct pain which only varies in it's intensity.  Migraine traits vary by person, which indicate most migraine sufferers each suffer with their own traits.  Some might be photosensitive, some might not.  Some might be sensitive to sound or touch or smell, others might not.  Some might get nausia, others might not.  Some get aura, some do not.  It is for this reason I think Migraine is a catch-all for many different types of headache....at least with regard to diagnosis.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 12:42pm

Marc,

I've given this a bit of thought before replying, not that you can probably tell.  I agree with the Money man that CH has a pretty defined set of traits, but at the same time I have to agree somewhat with Cat that they can sometimes be secondary in nature, i.e. with a different causative nature.  They can also have secondary effects, i.e. hemiparesis and some other effects, but the basic underlying condition is still the same.

As much as I want to go along with the "Wimminz don't get clusters" routine, I also think that to many women are misdiagnosed with migraine when the Dr has no clue what to call it.

JMHO for what it's worth.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 12:50pm

Bob P wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:10am:
Quote:

Men = 100%
Women = 0%

According to Bob's clear example, they DO need to be changed so as not to reflect only men getting them.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake Bob! Smiley

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 9:44pm

According to findings from the cluster headache survey that completed last December where 1134 individuals completed the survey (816 male, 318 female),  that puts women at 28% of the cluster headache sufferer population. 

The selection of participants in this survey was totally random so I would tend to believe the 28% figure to be valid for this slice of time.

I don't have the actual margin of error but suspect it to be ± 2%.  That would also make the 28% figure consistent with the ongoing survey on the left that shows that Women make up 30% of cluster headache sufferers.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2009 at 9:46pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 12:11am

"doctors who don’t know any better say “Clusters” when they are at a loss of what to do next for their suffering patient - so they hang the CH tag."

The other day at the dentist talking to the dental assistant she said she had a cluster headache.
I asked her to describe them and she said she blacked out at a light while driving her car and had a pretty good headache the next day.
The doc had told her that bright lights cause cluster headaches so therefore she had them. I didnt have the heart to tell her to find a new doc as she seemed pretty proud of her "cluster".

MJ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!