Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Natural Treatment? (Read 3774 times)
Hwood0519
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Natural Treatment?
Oct 27th, 2009 at 9:04pm

Hello All!

I have spent the last few years suffering from headaches I believed to be cluster headaches. I recently saw a neurologist with 25 years in headache speciality who has suggested I might have a condition know as Hemicrania Continua, which are very similar to Clusters. The way you decide whether or not it is Hemicrania Continua is by taking indomethacine, a strong anti-inflammitory medicine. The problem is the use of this medicine long term causes horrible GI problems. Before trying this medicine I was taking up to 3 Immitrex a day! I have also tried Topamax, Metroprlol, ect. I cant stand the side effects of all these medications. I am only 22 years old and I strongly believe there has to be natural alternatives to help these headache conditions. I currently take Melatonin at night and I try to take Cayenne vitamins daily, but they sometimes hurt my stomach. I mostly eat healthy, try to stay as organic as I can, but I am sure you all know how expensive that can be. I know there has to be others out there who feel the same as me, so please if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear about them. Thank you all and best wishes!

Holli   Grin

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Natural Treatment?
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 9:06pm

Oxygen.

Potter

IP Logged

Hwood0519
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 9:16pm

I understand that oxygen can abort a headache but I was thinking more along the lines of a natural preventative treatment....

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 9:32pm

I honestly don't know how to get more natural than oxygen. You are using it in large amounts as you read this.  Depends upon how badly you are hurting I suppose.

Try shrooms or RC seeds - also natural and very effective for many with CH's.

Marc
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009 at 9:38pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 1:57pm

Since Indocin is the confirming test for HC, it would make sense to take it for a short time to see IF it does stop your attacks. Only then do you need to deal with the decision about longer term use.

Indocin is not "Drano" and the dose for HC is modest. Gut problems are not automatic and many people have used it for years without difficulty. AND, worst outcome, if you do have some side effect in your gut, there are protective meds you can use to control the problems without having to give up the benefits of the Indocin. The other benefit is that generic Indocin is dirt cheap, especially when compared to the abortives for Cluster H.

Bottom line:until you have a firm diagnosis, any questions about alternative meds is premature. Do the Indocin trial and then the other questions can be handled.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:21am

Hiya Holliwood  Cool,

For Cluster headache I think I'd start with RC (Rivea Corymbosa) seeds as Marc suggested.

Now there's something natural for you, and it's a preventative.

There are also some cluster guys and cluster gals around here who feel that Kudzu (herb) has helped them. I seem to have some vague recollection that Kudzu might interfere with RC though (?) Maybe someone can pipe in here regarding that.

Meantime, what's the harm in sniffing some O2 to abort CH attacks while finding the right preventative?

I've been eating the most incredibly healthy diet - organic, blah blah for a good 15 years or so now. As with many people on good diets I started because my health was poor, in my case due to overuse of Prednisone for CH.

Anyway, FWIW, though a good diet is a preventative for a myriad of serious health probs, I don't tend to think of it as having much sway over CH.

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:24am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:28am

Hwood0519 wrote on Oct 27th, 2009 at 9:16pm:
I understand that oxygen can abort a headache but I was thinking more along the lines of a natural preventative treatment....
It's doesn't get anymore "natural" than oxygen my friend.  You don't ingest anything.  You just breathe.  I have yet to try it myself, but i'm confident when another cycle starts not only will it help aborting hits, but it will help the way the rc seeds work.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:34am

bejeeber wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:21am:
Hiya Holliwood  CoolI seem to have some vague recollection that Kudzu might interfere with RC though (?) Maybe someone can pipe in here regarding that.

Kudzu will interfere according to Clusterbusters.

Kudzu:
"Anecdotal evidence suggests that kudzu can block the effects of psilocybin; one person reports that taking a normal dose of kudzu for a week completely blocked the psychological and physical effects of 1.5 grams of psilocybin mushrooms. Those interested in the Clusterbuster approach should consider the strong possibility that kudzu will interfere with that therapeutic approach."

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

grace
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:50am

Chad..I've spouted off enough on this site about my aversion to pharmaceuticals, so I won't beat that dead horse anymore.  I have chronic CH, but I've been using Kudzu Root (1000 mg, 2 before bedtime) and Taurine (500 mg.) thruout the day, along with head and neck massage, and Simply Saline to keep the nasal passages clear.  This is as natural as I could get.  (Aside from O2, which I haven't tried as yet)  However, my headaches are at a tolerable level using this regimen...less hits and when I have them, the longevity has been lessened dramatically.
Someone else mentioned using a dissolvable D-3 lozenger that stopped his headache..???   We don't get enough D vitamins anyway, so that wouldn't hurt to try as well.
Good luck Chad.

IP Logged

grace
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:53am

Sorry, thought I was talking to Chad.  Good luck Holliwood, and hey, Good luck Chad too...good luck EVERYONE.  How's that?
(I did too much acid in the 70's, only working on half a brain cell)

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:21pm

grace wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:50am:
Someone else mentioned using a dissolvable D-3 lozenger that stopped his headache..???   We don't get enough D vitamins anyway, so that wouldn't hurt to try as well.

I gave this a go on 4 separate occasions. Didn't work one iota for me.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 3:06pm

Quote:
Bottom line:until you have a firm diagnosis, any questions about alternative meds is premature. Do the Indocin trial and then the other questions can be handled.

Ditto
the bb

vitamin D3 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 12:57am

Ditto to Bob and The bb.  If it is determined to be CH I would suggest Kudzu unless you want to go the psychoactive Clusterbuster route.  I've not done the seeds or the shrooms, so I can't speak to them, but I know several who have and have done very well with them.

I'm using Natures Way Kudzu, 613mg capsules x2 at each meal.  I've been chronic for several years now, but since going to this dosage I rarely have to use my O2 unless I forget to dose.  The only side effect I've found with it is a little bit of gas, but that is no price to pay for the relief I've gotten.

However, I cannot stress strongly enough, get a GOOD diagnosis first.  There are to many things out there that can mimic some of our symptoms, but can be deadly.  Be sure what it is you are dealing with.  Besides, why start a regimen of treatment for a situation you may not even have?
JMHO
Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Hwood0519
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 11:27pm

Unfortunatly I have had a skin reaction to the Indocine and broke out in blisters and a rash that looks like large burns after only 2 days of taking the medicine. So I have to talk to the doctor about where we go from here as far as diagnosing me with hemicrania continua or clusters. Thank you all who understood my question and replied.  Smiley

IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Bozeman|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 11:07am

I have been having reasonable results with hydrogen peroxide. (Remember to use a few drops of FOOD grade in good water.) It seems to increase the oxygen content of the the physical body. (There is definitely, definitely some link between these types of headaches and oxygen.) Has anybody found a good reason why oxygen, in one form or another, helps?
YOURS IN LOVES, DANiEL

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #15 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 6:10pm

Drinking a shot of peroxide has less free oxygen than a breath - and it is highly caustic. If it has any effect, it is from a very different mechanism than breathing pure oxygen.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 10:51pm

Quote:
Has anybody found a good reason why oxygen, in one form or another, helps?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I will pass on the peroxide.
Hope all is well with you Daniel
the bb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!