Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clusters for 33 years, what works for me (Read 1109 times)
stab victim
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Clusters for 33 years, what works for me
Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:21pm

I call myself the stab victim for obvious reasons. Anyone who has ever had one of these possessed headaches knows the feeling. I have been a test subject over the last 33 years with different medications. Let me just name a few off the top of my head.Inderal, ergostat, tenormin,lithium,prednisone,lidocaine,midrin, to name a few. What I have found that works for me is 4 imetrex shots a day (which has to be specially approved by the doctor to the insurance company), Oxygen inbetween shots, and stadol nose spray, which is a narcotic, when I have maxed out my shots. The oxygen provides temporary relief, but I find that as soon as I remove the mask, the cluster returns. My headaches come on every three to four years max, usually every three. I am one of the rare females who get them. When I get them, I am off work for an entire month until they subside for another three to four years. Are there any new treatments in the last three years? I am do for them any time again. I hope my post might be helpful to someone.

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Re: Clusters for 33 years, what works for me
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:14pm

Hi,
You are lucky to go that long between cycles!  I am also a female and have had Clusters for 25 years.  Your list of medications brings back memories to me.  Have you ever tried Verapamil and Zyprexa?  I don't think you would have to miss work like that if you try them.  Verapamil is a preventative and Zyprexa is an abortive.  Both of which you can take and function well at work.  The doses vary among individuals so don't take my word for that...small doses work for me on everything.  I take up to 60mg of Verapamil divided into 3 times a day (most people take much more so read other posts).  I take 2.5mg of Zyprexa at onset of a HA and am good for 24-33 hours. Others will come along and give advice, too.  Read all you can...You shouldn't have to miss that much work.  Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Joni

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:45pm

clusterbusters.com
the bb

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 2:51am

Early tries with 02 I had the same problem as you, within 10-20 minutes of shutting off the 02, the CH was back. I take an oral cafergot at the first sign of an attack and then start huffing the 02. 02 slays it, cafergot will buy me up to 12 hours pain free time. Cafergot is an old school CH that kinda fell out of favor as it takes too long to get into your system. Might be worth a shot, ease up on your need for imitrex.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:28am

Guiseppi wrote on Oct 27th, 2009 at 2:51am:
ease up on your need for imitrex.

Joe
I can't stress that enough.  Too much of any of the triptans can cause rebound headaches.

O2 seems to be the winner here if used correctly.  That's my next addition after I see the NEW neuro in December.  Other than that, bbz suggested reading Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register That's my life saver.
LSA in Rivea Corymbosa seeds. 

Best of luck finding new means of attack.

Cheers,
Chad

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:49am

Yep, I'll agree that the newer approach to using O2 with non-rebreather and hi flow, plus RC seeds stand out to me as two of the more recent treatments of note.

A very very critically important breakthrough for me has been the "Imitrex tip" that enables you to double the amount of imitrex headache aborts available to you, whlle halving your OD risk.

Links for imitrex tip and the oxygen info are on the left here in this forum view (or if you're not seeing them, they're available in this forum view: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:50am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!