Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone want to hire a Canadian Custerhead? (Read 1136 times)
ClusterChris
CH.com Old Timer

Damn Head!

Welland, Ontario
Anyone want to hire a Canadian Custerhead?
Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:11am

Hi All,

Since losing my job at John Deere to mexico I have been looking for work non-stop to no avail.  Does anyone know of anyone hiring anywhere in ontario right now. Job searches are turning up very little.

Chris

IP Logged

Martin
CH.com Veteran

Ready for anything this
world can dish!

Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Anyone want to hire a Canadian Custerhead?
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:27am

Sorry to hear about your job.  Ontario manufacturing is getting chewed up... and now they're going to combine the PST and GST into one big HST.  My father's business is going to loose 7% of its profits right there; needless to say he's not looking to hire.  Sorry to say, this is going to hurt all Ontario business...

If I hear of anything, ill drop you a line.  I know at my gov't department they're holding off hiring for the 3 positions they need.... No money anywheres it seems.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:29am by Martin »  

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 1:42pm

chris there is a con-way terminal in london. con-way is a thriving company right now. you may be able to get a job as a dock supervise. would be a good environment for a clusterhead couse your constantly moving and it gets cold out on the dock

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ClusterChris
CH.com Old Timer

Damn Head!

Welland, Ontario
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 3:23pm

Thanks for replies. 

Martin, I hear ya, Ontario is pretty bad right now, Hence the no job yet.

Johnny,  Thanks for the info, I have just uploaded my resume and added all my info so I guess we'll see if I hear anything. 

I have spent the last 12 years in the manufacturing  field, mainly assebly line work and forklift driving. I have also done quite a bit of welding.

Problem is that all those busineses have picked up and flew south. I wish school was an option but the sad part is, I cannot afford to go to school. (need an income). 

I'll just keep my fingers crossed and keep pumping out the resumes.

Thanks again!
Chris

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 4:18pm

Chris - I'm assuming you would have filed for E.I. benefits.

There is a program called "Second Careers" run by E.I. in which they actually fund schooling for you.  We have a daughter in law currently obtaining her Early Childhood Education certificate now.  She was provided $ for school plus additional to provide her with a small income to live on.

Not sure if they are still offering it or not but it's sure worth finding out about.  They also provide free information re resumes and how to make them "job appropriate".  I know of one office that provides free faxing and photocopying as well.

This may be worth nothing - but then again - never any harm in trying all avenues.

Good Luck
Carol

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 5:19pm

-johnny- wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 1:42pm:
..................... con-way is a thriving company right now. .....

They are good outfit centered on customer service - that's why they are still strong.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 6:08pm

Sorry Chris, I wish I could help.

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 6:38pm

Are you willing to relocate away from Welland?

Are you currently on EI? ... if so, you may be eligible to EI benefits plus they (EI) may pay for you to get truck driving school in Barrie. 

I hire many from that program...starting at $18.50 - $22.50.... seasonal but we pair up our best drivers with winter jobs at our client municipalities as winter snow staff.  Tons of hours.

Poorer the economy the busier we get.

If you want to talk....pm me.

Paul
compassionate CH business owner in the snow belt

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 8:17pm

chris here in the states if you collect unemployment your eligible for free classes at a community college. thats how i got my cdl

IP Logged

ClusterChris
CH.com Old Timer

Damn Head!

Welland, Ontario
Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:16pm

Mity,

I am not on ui benifit right now, we have this dumb ass rule that I need to use up all of my severence pay before I can collect on unemployment. I was fortunate enough to get 6 months severence pay to hold me over for now but like I said, Can't collect UI untill it runs out.

Thats why I would like to find a job as soon as possible so that I can still benifit from my severence without eating it all up sitting at home. 

If it comes down to it I will have no choice but to go back to school when I am eligible.

Thanks again

greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

BigMatt
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 3:17pm

Not sure how well it would work up in the north, but when I got laid-off a while back after exhausting the want adds and Craigslist looking for jobs I got in my car and drove around the entire area I live in and any business that looked like one I could work at I would write down the name then get on the net and see if they had a web site and if so if there was an HR link. Even if there was not a job posted I would try and send in my resume to them you might get lucky and catch someone that was getting ready to post a job that you might fit. I did get a job once this way, I walked into a company and asked if they where hiring and the owner told me he had just been thinking about posting an ad, well I started the next day. Give it a try, hope you find something soon.

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 4:48pm

Thanks Paul, your offer to Chris brightened my day and made me feel so much better about the state of the human condition. Smiley

Iddy Smiley

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

Margi
CH.com Alumnus

Nuthin like a good neck
rub!

x1|Calgary|Canada|
Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 4:02pm

Chris, I'm a recruiter but our agency specializes in salespeople mainly, so we don't get many mfg job leads.  We do use the job boards a lot though and you can set up auto-alerts to be delivered to your email every morning.  Great way to stay on top of the job market.

all of those let you search the postings by location.

Hope this helps.

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
Margi Storey  
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 3:38am

Chris,

I wish you lots of luck. Finding a job is tough thing at this time - I'll be joining you after my trainee time ends.
If you lived little bit closer to Finland, I bet my mom could use your help...

Sanna

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!