Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Firefighter suspended for American flag decal (Read 2039 times)
deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Firefighter suspended for American flag decal
Oct 20th, 2009 at 8:01am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2009 at 8:06am by deltadarlin »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

BigMatt
Ex Member

Re: Firefighter suspended for American flag decal
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 11:51am

Every firefighter in that city should put a flag sticker on their lockers then what would the idiots do?

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 12:05pm

Flying a flag in Portland.  Having a clothes-line in the back-yard now illegal in Canton, Ohio and now this.

What's next? We can only paint our houses a certain color?   Angry   All of our indiviual rights are being systemactically taking away.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 1:21pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 12:05pm:
What's next? We can only paint our houses a certain color? 

Many subdivision covenants actually include this kind of language.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 1:58pm

Someone else owns the locker.  If the owner tells you to remove all stickers, you do it.

Do the people in question have flag stickers on their cars, refrigerators and house windows?  Probably not.

Show all the patriotism you want, on your own belongings. 

Rock beats Scissors.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 2:07pm

Brew wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 1:21pm:
Linda_Howell wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 12:05pm:
What's next? We can only paint our houses a certain color? 

Many subdivision covenants actually include this kind of language.

And that color is the color of mildew.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

BigMatt
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 2:14pm

I have a flag on my car and I feel it is a way of showing that I love my country even with all its short falls. If you don’t love it then the door is always open any time you want to leave, don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 2:23pm

It's so sad how nowadays the act of one rotten person ends up punishing all the people who did NOTHING WRONG.

THAT is what it's really all about!

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 4:06pm

Lobster wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 1:58pm:
Someone else owns the locker.  If the owner tells you to remove all stickers, you do it.

Let's see here.  How about putting it up to a public vote then?  Since they are firefighters and firefighters are considered to be public servants, then msot likely those lockers are owned by the public who paid for them with their taxes. 

As an aside, the flag is on their unifroms, the flag is flown at the station, should that be removed too if somebody protests?

IP Logged

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 4:23pm

They are wearing it on their uniform because their boss makes them.
They are flying it in front of their station because their boss makes them.
They are taking them off their locker because their boss is making them.
The public does not get a vote on day to day administrative decisions.  It doesn't matter who complains.  If your boss gives you a simple instruction you follow it. 

The flag is not a holy object which gives the purchaser of a 25cent made-in-China sticker the right to apply it wherever they see fit. 

Rock beats Scissors.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 7:05pm

Good lord!! Madelin O'Hare is one happy camper in hell today... That bitch started all this back when she "thought" praying in schools was not a good thing and WE let her get HER way... Things have been going to hell ever since.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, but when you work for someone, ya gotta follow their rules or go to work for yourself and set your own rules. That's just business.  And if it's in the policy manual.... the only way to change that is to go to the city council and protest and get it changed. But until then - it's the rules...

Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 7:53pm

Quote:
"The directive says 'everything,' "

Directives.........no room for common sense or interpretation.  Sad

Is there something I missed about no adults allowed? Twerps.

Quote:
Having a clothes-line in the back-yard now illegal in Canton, Ohio and now this.

Right Linda. I know about this thing and it can be found in a lot of communities.  Shocked

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 8:52pm

The house we owned from 1998-2008 in Madison, WI had a covenent with the subdivision.  We could not have clotheslines in our backyards.  We couldnt build anything onto or put up a lean to on our property without it first being approved by the subdivision.  My backyard neighbor was forced out because he put up a ugly depcrepid wooden leanto for his dogs to get in and out of the back patio door.  It was a wood frame proped up with a tarp over it so the dogs could come and go.  We couldn't park cars in our driveways overnight or have campers or trailers or boats parked in our driveway.  Which reminds me my backyard neighbor had a boat parked all the time in his driveway.  I thought the whole thing was ok with me as far as my property goes.  I had no objections but my neighbors shur pitched a fit with my backyard neighbor until he had to sell to find peace.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 9:16pm

Actually, I understand Karla. My street seems to be off the radar. My neighbors do their best most of the time though. For now, I'm drying my clothes the hard way until I deal with my on the fritz dryer....mostly in my cellar though.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:36am

What you guys are referring to here is a planned community with an "association"   where you actually pay a yearly fee so they can tell you what kind of curtains can be hung in your windows or where you can park your car.  Anyone who buys a house in this kind community KNOWS upfront about the rules and assumes responsibility for adhering to them or he buys a house in a normal neighborhood.

When living in a normal neighborhood one shouldn't be at the mercy of....like Mel said...one or two malcontents on a power trip who spoil it for the rest.

As for the 11-yr. veteran fire-fighter with the flag,  I'll bet almost anything he put that up there after 9-11 and no one said anything til now..for whatever their reasoning might be.  I understand that the locker is not his property...but what a nit-picky thing to do that sends a horrid message.

I'm sure that little bitty flag decal was just messing up the whole departments cohesion something fierce.  Roll Eyes

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!