Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone Tried Light Therapy? (Read 1636 times)
Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Anyone Tried Light Therapy?
Oct 17th, 2009 at 6:58pm

I saw an article today about light therapy used for Cluster headaches...a small study.  Has anyone tried this?  I don't remember ever seeing this on here.

Joni

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Re: Anyone Tried Light Therapy?
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 7:12pm

I turn them off and that helps.

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:28pm

I'm with Don on this one: The less light the better!

During June and July - at the maximum of daylight duration - I had the worst period in my cluster experience, going through 2 - 3 oxygen tanks a week (each 4000 liters). Now, with daylight duration reduced to only about 10 hours, I'm back to my old routine, needing oxygen only 2 or 3 times a week.

Quote:
I saw an article today about light therapy used for Cluster headaches...a small study.
Joni, I'm sorry to say, your information is rather meager. Where did you see this article (link)? Who are the authors, a research institute with good name or the guys trying to sell some daylight lamps? What was the sample size, what the result and what the conclusion? Inquiring minds want to know Wink

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 9:36am

Is this mystery study in referance to circadian rhythm ?

IP Logged

burnt-toast
CH.com Hall of Famer

economy|USA|PA
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 10:37am

There are references to the use of bright light therapy as a treatment for Cluster Headaches, unfortunately none of these references are very detailed.  A Dr. Lee Kudrow from the California Medical Clinic for Headache in Encino was doing some work back in the 90's.  This might provide a starting point for doing some research by those that are interested.

My experience...
I had a Neurologist (back in the 90's) loan me a bright light box (several lights muted by an opaque screen) that I used for about 90 days.  The device provided no relief. 

But... since it's common for everyone to experience different results from the plethora of treatments available, it might be worth it for some to take a shot.  Certainly a lot cheaper and safer than than the meds. we get to play with.

Joni, keep posting your questions/suggestions and maybe we'll stumble on something that works for all of us.   

burnt-toast
(Tom)   

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.

IP Logged

McGee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 1:40pm

i dont have a problem with normal light but a bright direct light is uncomfortable for me eg. car headlights in rear view mirror, looking directly into lamps at close distance etc but sitting in a room with the lights on doesnt bother me.
the Halo over my wifes head can be annoying and not because of the brightness  Wink

Mark (glad my wife doesnt read my comments)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW mmcglinchey1  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 8:10pm

burnt-toast wrote on Oct 18th, 2009 at 10:37am:
There are references to the use of bright light therapy as a treatment for Cluster Headaches, unfortunately none of these references are very detailed.  A Dr. Lee Kudrow from the California Medical Clinic for Headache in Encino was doing some work back in the 90's.  This might provide a starting point for doing some research by those that are interested.

My experience...
I had a Neurologist (back in the 90's) loan me a bright light box (several lights muted by an opaque screen) that I used for about 90 days.  The device provided no relief. 

But... since it's common for everyone to experience different results from the plethora of treatments available, it might be worth it for some to take a shot.  Certainly a lot cheaper and safer than than the meds. we get to play with.

Joni, keep posting your questions/suggestions and maybe we'll stumble on something that works for all of us.   

burnt-toast
(Tom)   

Thanks, Tom.  That is the study I was referring to.  My doctor had run across it and printed it out for me.  It is interesting and I thought if it really worked, someone here surely had tried it.  Just curious.  I have heard so many crazy things over the years that I am usually uninterested, but it is best to leave no stone unturned.  I sure do appreciate the medical doctors who care enough to do those studies!  I learned from teaching science that when your hypothesis doesn't match your conclusion , you have to choose another one and keep going.

Thanks again
Joni

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 8:19pm

Here is a link to the article I read.  Sorry you have to copy and paste.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Joni

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 7:56am

I know Lenny, from this MB, sees Kudrow and to my knowledge he has never prescribed light therapy for him.  Kudrow must have given up on this idea.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!