Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
before truck drivers wore flipflops & sweatpants (Read 1416 times)
-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
before truck drivers wore flipflops & sweatpants
Oct 17th, 2009 at 3:34am

they used to burn up a few calories

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus

Re: before truck drivers wore flipflops & sweatpants
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:57am

A 'two stick'?  Wtf is that?  How does that work?

Rock beats Scissors.

IP Logged

GayleH
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:17pm

That was back when we had FUN driving!

Basically, it is two transmissions - the main box and a secondary transmission.....or an A box and a B box.
Using it is not that hard once you get the hang of it.  For example, if you put your A box in first, then you run through the 3 or 4 gears in the B box - then  you go to second in the A box and go through all the gears in the B box, etc. etc.

The revolutions of the motor are spread out more in the A box, hence the necessity of having the B box that fills in between the A box gears.   When you have a really heavy load, it makes a lot of difference and you don't lug the motor that way.

Not sure I've explained it well and you don't see many twin sticks any more although they can be special ordered for off road.

My first truck was an old White with a 3 and 2.  My second was an R model Mack with a 5 and 4.  Gets so you can hold the steering wheel with your elbow and get both sticks going at once.

Those were the good old days when we drove, literally, by the seat of our pants!!!

GayleH Gayle Hiebert  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:39pm

Lobster wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:57am:
A 'two stick'?  Wtf is that?  How does that work?

Like your 10-speed.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 6:19pm

The first truck I drove was a 58 Cornbinder Coffin Nose Log Truck with a 265 Cummins and a 4 x 3 tranny. The last one was a W900 Kenworth with a 3406 Cat motor and 6 x 4 tranny. If you have to run off road in the mountains, twin sticks are great. But you have a weight penalty that goes with two transmissions.

Smiley

kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:13pm

i remember the coal trucks that ran in southern west virginia were predominately macks or brockways. the ones i saw were 237s  with a 5+4 to 4.17 gears on six spoke dayton wheels. always daytons never bud wheels. i think those trucks were permitted at #83000 on 2 drives and a steer. with three axles in the rear i don't think they would handle those hairpin turns. the tires would touch at the bottom and you could hear them howl for miles away. back then those trucks ran day and night 7 days a week over those rough and twisted roads. back then those macks were whined out at  60 mph but there really weren't too many straight stretches of road where you could go that fast.   

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:14pm by -johnny- »  

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 3:15pm

Wow, Gayle.  I am impressed.  Didn't understand a word of what you said, but I'm impressed never-the-less.   Shocked

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 5:59pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Oct 18th, 2009 at 3:15pm:
Wow, Gayle.  I am impressed.  Didn't understand a word of what you said, but I'm impressed never-the-less.   Shocked

gayle is old school. Cool

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 6:09pm

LOL, Johnny.  I met Gayle in Vancouver and yes, she is older than you, but I am still impressed by any womans knowledge about trucking.  Old school or not.   Wink

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 6:29pm

you can be young and be old school. i would love to sit down with gayle and have a cup of coffee. as far as women driving trucks go, if they set their mind to it they make great truck drivers. lady drivers are very professional.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 6:31pm

you can be young and be old school. i've been told allot of things i do are old school. the old way i guess you could say. i would love to sit down with gayle and have a cup of coffee. as far as women driving trucks go, if they set their mind to it they make great truck drivers. lady drivers are very professional.

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 6:41pm

Don't know if any of you have seen the Ice Road series about truckers who drive over the frozen waters to deliver shipments.  Big rigs - icy, snowy, windblown - makes me shiver just to think of how dangerous that could be.

Our friend Gayle even took a turn at that for a short sprint!  The gal definitely has what it takes!!!!

Carol

IP Logged

GayleH
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 3:03am

Geesh - just can't leave this one alone - anything to do with trucks and I'm in there like a....what - dirty shirt comes to mind (old school, you know - even older than Barb D.)

The remnants that remain are in my pick up truck and I cut off the yellow park brake knob and glued it to my cigarette lighter just for old times sake.....not that it works very well.

It's been a great life even though I've had to change my panties a few times....lol

If it goes, I want to be there!  Been doing quite a bit of flying this summer - a friend has a 4 seater Cesna 182, so dog (2 yr old German Shepherd) and I have been training for search and rescue - I don't need this, but damn, if I'm gonna go, it's gonna be one hellofa ride!

Don't think either Len or myself are going to be around much longer - he has Lou Gerhigs disease and has been given about 2 years the docs figure, and I have emphysema with about 50 % use of my lungs (puffers keep me going good though).

I know I don't post much, but Johnny (with an H) gets me going!

GayleH Gayle Hiebert  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 10:25am

Kathy Matteas, '18 wheels and a dozen roses"   will just not stop running through my mind for some reason..lol

Johnny and Gayle you've given me an ear worm.

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 11:42am

With me it's "Six Days on the Road and I'm Gonna Make it Home Tonight"  love that song.....

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 1:33pm

jon019 wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 11:42am:
With me it's "Six Days on the Road and I'm Gonna Make it Home Tonight"  love that song.....

Ah, Dave Dudley. Great tune.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #16 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 11:45pm

10 forward gears and a georgia overdrive

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!