Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
American Flag Ban,Oregon Apartments (Read 2063 times)
KingOfPain
CH.com Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

North America
American Flag Ban,Oregon Apartments
Oct 16th, 2009 at 12:51pm

American Flag Ban at Oregon Apartment Complex Reversed After Outcry
Published : Thursday, 15 Oct 2009, 8:16 PM CDT

An Oregon apartment complex reversed its ban prohibiting residents from flying American flags from dwellings and parked vehicles after the property manager decided she didn't have the legal standing to do so, KATU in Portland reported Wednesday.

Holcomb told KATU that the flag flap was caused by how two sections of the rental agreement that all tenants sign were interpreted.

Residents' outrage started when Jim Clausen, whose son is in the military and on his way back to Iraq, was told he couldn't fly an American flag from the back of his motorcycle.

If he didn't take the flag down, he was told he'd face eviction, the station reported on Monday.

"It floored me," Clausen told the station. "I can't believe she was saying what she was saying. It [the flag] stands for the people that can no longer stand — who died in wars. That's why I fly the flag."

Holcomb admitted she was wrong to ban the flags after the public outcry received national media attention.

Sharron White, a long-time resident, was originally told by management to take down the flag she'd flown on her car for eight years because "someone might get offended."

"I just said to her, 'They'll just have to get over it,'" White said before the ban was lifted.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Flag ban lifted at Oaks Apartments after outcry
Story Published: Oct 14, 2009 at 12:47 PM PDT
Story Updated: Oct 14, 2009 at 10:39 PM PDT

KVAL News asked whether she had talked to the resident who originally went to the media with the story. Holcomb said no, although she said she would talk to him -- and would have talked to him before he went to the media. Holcomb said he did not approach her before talking to KVAL News partner KATU.

"He's just a romping, stomping patriot," Holcomb said.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Video:

Arrived August, 1999.
We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter. - Denis Diderot
Thanks for the ignore function! Wink

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Re: American Flag Ban,Oregon Apartments
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 6:03pm

I work in the affordable housing industry. Most complexes dont allow displaying any type of banners or flags and theres good reasons for it.

However, most all property owners I've worked with use some descretion. The lease violation is overlooked that is until one person complains that they are offended by any one banner or flag. Then they all have to come down.

Descretion is the better part of valor.

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 8:10pm

Here's a thought...
although I support anyone's right to fly the flag, if you've ever been hit by one flying in a windstorm, you'd agree with me, it's not advantageous for anyone.......

If you want to fly a flag, why not do it at your own home??
Interest rates are soo low.  like 4.5% this morning and prices, countrywide, are still adjusting in the wake of HISTORICALLY HIGH numbers of foreclosures....grab yourself a Realtor and go find something you can OWN.purchase a home...... you will not only proudly display your patriotism, but you will make a step for your future financial success.........
besides, I'm bored and looking forward to getting dressed to go to work!

It's a stupid thing, really. Fly your flag, show your colors.........but, for Don, if you are subsidized by the Govt.....don't let anyone see your gratitude?? I know, I know, it;'s a much deeper issue. let's not debate it, k?
Cathi Lips Sealed

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 10:03pm

Quote:
If you want to fly a flag, why not do it at your own home??
Interest rates are soo low.  like 4.5% this morning and prices, countrywide, are still adjusting in the wake of HISTORICALLY HIGH numbers of foreclosures....grab yourself a Realtor and go find something you can OWN

Oh, Cathi you crack me up...ever the salesperson.  Grin

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 11:24pm

Guess I'm a simple man...cuz I don't get it.

The American Flag is a symbol of our country. Only a symbol, yes, but what it represents is everything to me.

I am reminded of my Step-Father. A WWII vet...he raised the flag every day in front of his home...and lowered it every evening. He once asked his landlord if he minded...the landlord said...Lee, if you can't do it, I WILL.

At 94 yrs old...on his deathbed...my Pop asked me to do the honors for him. Told him they would have to shoot me to stop me...

While I couldn't give a "good goddamn" about what others may think of this...I do recognize it is a subject which makes me nuts...my apologizes if I offend.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:10am

Anybody remember the flag episode on "Frasier?" It's the first thing that comes to mind.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:31am

jon019 wrote on Oct 16th, 2009 at 11:24pm:
Guess I'm a simple man...cuz I don't get it.

The American Flag is a symbol of our country. Only a symbol, yes, but what it represents is everything to me.

I am reminded of my Step-Father. A WWII vet...he raised the flag every day in front of his home...and lowered it every evening. He once asked his landlord if he minded...the landlord said...Lee, if you can't do it, I WILL.

At 94 yrs old...on his deathbed...my Pop asked me to do the honors for him. Told him they would have to shoot me to stop me...

While I couldn't give a "good goddamn" about what others may think of this...I do recognize it is a subject which makes me nuts...my apologizes if I offend.

Best,

Jon

jon your a pretty cool ole' dude Cool

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:33am

HeeHee!!Yuppers, Lindie-lou.........anything to get the word out!!!

Jonboy, I SOO agree with you...fly that flag proudly!
Betcha Pops was a heckuva guy!

If you'll get yourself to a lender, I will get dressed! promise!!!

Cathi, Realtor, GRI, Bored stiff Cheesy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:36am

[quote

Jon

[/quote]

jon your a pretty cool ole' dude Cool [/quote]

Johnny-with an h......

WHO YOU CALLIN OLD???  HUH?? I took it upon myself to check Jon's profile.......he's, well, younger than I am.......
I am officially pfleklempt, and heartbroken.........
Back into my jammies.......
Shocked Ole cathi

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 8:01am

Charlie wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:10am:
Anybody remember the flag episode on "Frasier?" It's the first thing that comes to mind.

Charlie

Cam Winston!

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 8:48am

Some of my forebears fought to give me the right to have a country represented by that flag.  I have two sons in the Marine Corps who have sworn to uphold that right.  The only time I don't fly my flag is when it is raining.  I personally don't give a rat's tailparts if I do offend somebody by it.  If they don't like it they can get out.  I don't have much, but I will be happy to buy them a one way ticket anywhere they want on the proviso that they never come back! 

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:55am

Cathi_Pierce wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:36am:
[quote

Jon

jon your a pretty cool ole' dude Cool [/quote]

Johnny-with an h......

WHO YOU CALLIN OLD???  HUH?? I took it upon myself to check Jon's profile.......he's, well, younger than I am.......
I am officially pfleklempt, and heartbroken.........
Back into my jammies.......
Shocked Ole cathi
[/quote]

Well, I'm 54...look 64...and been told I act 74. As Satchel Paige said..."how old would you be if you didn't know how old you was"...I'm thinking 44!

It's all cool...

Ole jon"boy" Grin

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:00pm

Just the fact that you know who Satchel Paige is....

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:18pm

Callico wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 8:48am:
Some of my forebears fought to give me the right to have a country represented by that flag.  I have two sons in the Marine Corps who have sworn to uphold that right.  The only time I don't fly my flag is when it is raining.  I personally don't give a rat's tailparts if I do offend somebody by it.  If they don't like it they can get out.  I don't have much, but I will be happy to buy them a one way ticket anywhere they want on the proviso that they never come back! 

Jerry

Got it Jerry...my comment came out wrong. Never will apologize for my beliefs...just wasn't sure if I was interpreting the thread correctly.

Best,

Jon

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #14 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:43pm

Brew wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:00pm:
Just the fact that you know who Satchel Paige is....

If you think you are a baseball fan...and you don't...you aint

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:58pm

Amen, brutha!

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 1:58pm

Quote:
As Satchel Paige said..."how old would you be if you didn't know how old you was"

I think there was always a problem trying to pin down his actual age.  Sounds like him and his ability.  Amazing guy.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #17 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 7:38pm

Satchel Paige is one of my favorite philosophers along with Casey Stengel. 

When asked about his past Satchel always used to say, "Never look back.  Something might be gaining on you."  Something many of us ought to take to heart.  Live for the future.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Groov
CH.com Alumnus

!Privet! !OLA! !wassup!
Metta

Decatur Il.
Reply #18 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 8:11pm

"Holcomb admitted she was wrong to ban the flags after the public outcry received national media attention."

Should have never gone that far I think.
It is the flag of OUR country.
How could someone be "offended" by it's display!?!?!?!?

If they are, there is no reasonable basis for anyone to be "offended"....so TOO BAD WHINERS !!!

With Metta
assaultu2 orangemod260500 orangemod  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!