Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Episodic Meds Options (Read 1669 times)
LucyBee210
CH.com Junior

x0|Brooksville|USA||0|0|FL,Florida
Episodic Meds Options
Oct 13th, 2009 at 11:11am

I have been reading from the many posts here people taking Verapamil and Topomax.  My question is, would an episodic sufferer take these medications also even though, in my case, my cycle lasts approx. 8 weeks?  Thanks..

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: Episodic Meds Options
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 11:39am

Typically, yes.

A "standard" approach is to use a Prednisone steroid taper to provide relief while ramping up Verapamil.

Most preventative medications like Topomax and Verapamil take 1-3 weeks to achieve their full effect. While Predisone cannot be taken for long periods of time, it is considered pretty safe when only taken for short periods in a downward tapering dose over a week or two.

Marc

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 12:58pm

If your cycles are very consistently this short, it's a matter of personal choice. Some doc and Ch--ers, if they have an effective abortive, just advise using it and get over the cycle.

Argument is that the time it takes for the preventive to become effective just about runs you out of the cycle.

No medical issue--just personal choice.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 1:23pm

As an approximate 8 week episodic sufferer myself, I'd say definitely yes.

I find that in peak episode there are just way too many hits - especially rebounds after an abortive is used - to deal with if no preventative is being used.

It's the use of preventative(s) that make o2 and imitrex  practical abortives for me (for "breakthrough" hits), otherwise it just becomes a rebound circus.

And it doesn't take that long for some of the preventatives to kick in - if ya hop on them pretty quick, they can be in effect by the time you would otherwise be at peak activity/intensity.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2009 at 1:24pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

ellenjoanne
CH.com Junior

Greenfield, WI
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 8:26pm

I'm an episodic sufferer, and I've been on Verapamil, ever since I was formally diagnosed with CH back in July 2005.  It acts as a preventative, when I'm out of cycle.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 2:52am

As Bob Johnson mentioned, some episodics elect to use only an abortive.  Since my cycles are normally only six weeks in duration, I've chosen this route.  Oxygen, and nothing else.

YMMV, of course--but I believe it's been the best choice for me.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

wip5150
CH.com Veteran

I have tired head

Naperville, IL
Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 3:38pm

LucyBee210 wrote on Oct 13th, 2009 at 11:11am:
I have been reading from the many posts here people taking Verapamil and Topomax.  My question is, would an episodic sufferer take these medications also even though, in my case, my cycle lasts approx. 8 weeks?  Thanks..

No question - my cycles typically last between 8-12 weeks and I take Verapamil (180mg 3X daily) during the cycle and also use Imitrex as an abortive but only when necessary due to rebounds.  When I feel like the cycle is ending, I wean off the Verapamil but always keep it at the ready for that inevitable shadow that comes back in 12-18 months.

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?  I have, and man it hurts.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1 wip5150  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 7:21pm

wip5150 wrote on Oct 16th, 2009 at 3:38pm:
LucyBee210 wrote on Oct 13th, 2009 at 11:11am:

No question - my cycles typically last between 8-12 weeks and I take Verapamil (180mg 3X daily) during the cycle and also use Imitrex as an abortive but only when necessary due to rebounds.  When I feel like the cycle is ending, I wean off the Verapamil but always keep it at the ready for that inevitable shadow that comes back in 12-18 months.

I do agree with that approach based on my experiences.

Curious if you are taking "SR" or regular version?

Marc

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 7:31pm

ellenjoanne wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 8:26pm:
I'm an episodic sufferer, and I've been on Verapamil, ever since I was formally diagnosed with CH back in July 2005.  It acts as a preventative, when I'm out of cycle.

You will also build a tolrance to it so that it less effective when you are in cycle.

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 8:49pm

I take 60mg during my cycle and TAPER down to 10 mg year 'round.  Next time, I will probably increase the dosage to 80mg during my cycle as it didn't do as well this time as previously.  I am not a good example of dosages because I am very sensitive to meds and take small doses.  I am episodic and have a cycle once a year for 8 weeks...have had a cycle twice in a year before.

Joni

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!