Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topamax VS Verapamil; Anyone have experience? (Read 2792 times)
slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Topamax VS Verapamil; Anyone have experience?
Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:07pm

I currently take Verapamil for my preventative, but a new doctor suggested that I try Topamax instead.  Has anyone used both of these before?  I'm looking to see what you think as far as effectiveness of each, dosage restrictions/limitations of each, side effects, etc.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: Topamax VS Verapamil; Anyone have experience?
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:21pm

Before my Neurologist got up to speed on Verapamil he put me on Topomax at the same time - then Topomax without Verapamil.

For ME (everyone is different) bringing Verapamil up to 480-600mg was far more effective than the two combined at lower doses. I never tried to ramp up the two together, so I can't offer any insight on that approach. Occasionally, I run up to 720mg when I get into a high cycle, but I average 480-600mg.

I will add that switching away from the "SR" sustained release Verapamil twice per day, to the regular formula several times per day made a huge difference for me.

Just my two cents in a world where pennies are worth nothing............

Marc
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:24pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:02pm

Marc wrote on Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:21pm:
Before my Neurologist got up to speed on Verapamil he put me on Topomax at the same time - then Topomax without Verapamil.

M
y neuro tried both at the same time too. The Topo side effects were untenable.

For ME (everyone is different) bringing Verapamil up to 480-600mg was far more effective than the two combined at lower doses. I never tried to ramp up the two together, so I can't offer any insight on that approach. Occasionally, I run up to 720mg when I get into a high cycle, but I average 480-600mg.

For me, 960-1040 mg/dy verapamil works best...

I will add that switching away from the "SR" sustained release Verapamil twice per day, to the regular formula several times per day made a huge difference for me.

SR verapamil did not work, for me...AT ALL.

Just my two cents in a world where pennies are worth nothing............

Marc's 2 cents are worth noting...combined we are 4 cents!

Best,

Jon

Marc

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:09pm

Has Verapamil been effective for you? 
Have you been using sustained release or immediated release?
Why are you considering a switch? 

I've never taken Topamax but I'm very leary of anything that has the potential of having cognative side effects.  This is just my personal opinion though.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 3:53pm

DennisM1045 wrote on Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:09pm:
Has Verapamil been effective for you? 
Have you been using sustained release or immediated release?
Why are you considering a switch? 

I've never taken Topamax but I'm very leary of anything that has the potential of having cognative side effects.  This is just my personal opinion though.

-Dennis-

Verapamil has been somewhat effective.  Less and less with the last two cycles though, and I'm leary of dosage increases because of the potential life ending side effects, and I just hate being on it already at a lower dose.  I take both the SR and immediate release.  If the SR doesnt work I switch to the immediate and it works better and allows some playing with the dosage.  The switch is being considered because my new doctor seems to think it will have less side effects and offer greater effectiveness... potentially.  I would like some more real world comparisons.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:41pm

I was initially put on 100mg of Topamax which I took at night. This was to try and reduce the side effects of the drug.
My new Neurologist put me on Verapamil instead, a low dose 240 mg . He was of the opinion that Topamax was of little benefit for treating CH. We all know here that different things work for different folks.

The side effects of Topamax were beyond what I could handle. Having been said on this thread already the cognitive issues were the most prevelant.
My two cents is that so far I believe I made the right choice in going with the Verapamil instead of the Topamax.

You must be your own guinea pig.

All the best Smiley

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

dj51
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NJ
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:09pm

I have been on both at the same time....Topamax can give you the "word search" and make you a little spacy. Especially at 150mg...It can make your hands and feet tingle too and can make you really sluggish in the begining but that usually goes away.

The sick thing is I was only a few months in when I went on the Topamax and after one month (builds up) I went two weeks with out a CH (I have them chronically). I thought I was "cured", I didn't know enough about the condition yet. It stopped working and I got really bad after that break. It finally started to lessen them a little bit but not enough to be worth the side effects. Verapamil never worked for me...I would say try it...I mean really what do you have to lose..Some people have had serious relief from it...Just remember that Topamax takes time to work...Give it a few months b4 you give up on it...

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 12:55am

Doesn't sound so hot.  Thanks for the input!

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Jeremys Dad
CH.com Newbie

How did I get lucky enough
to deserve them?

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 8:05pm

I'm taking both at this time as follows:

Verapamil 480 mg once in the morning (I'm assuming slow release given other posts in this thread)
Topamax 100 mg at night

In week 11 now, was increased to 480 from 360 on the Verapamil about two weeks ago.  I was thinking I might have been on the way out of the cycle as I had not had a bad hit in about a week but had a Kip 6-7 on Monday and a few 4-5 since then.  Laying low wondering where I'm at as we speak...   Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!