Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
medical neccessity (Read 1706 times)
jayrobinson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Tacoma Wa
medical neccessity
Oct 12th, 2009 at 4:52pm

Insurance covered me for a month and then denied me. I am working on that, Imitrex injectible. It is a sad state
that my caseworkers do not have the sympathy and knowledge it takes to improve our lots in live. I am dis enchanted with them all. I have little time to prepare for what looks like an epic battle, and I being David with no stone. I am mad for all eternity that knowledge is only powerful in the hands of the powerful. So is  there something that I can do to help? I am a believer. I can testify from the mountain top of my head blowing off. Forgive me my small rant for I am hopeless. I s there anything I can do to help the big picture? Need help
Jay

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: medical neccessity
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 5:00pm

You don't provide a lot of specifics, but how about getting a lawyer?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 5:21pm

I'm with Brew here about *specifics*.  Are you saying that your insurance company has dropped you after you were on there a month or are you saying that the insurer denied your script of Imitrex?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Skullcrusher
CH.com Junior

I'm Tired of Hurting!

Guelph,Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 6:09pm

Medical coverage is a bit different here so I may not be any help. I have had problems in the past when I try and get too much meds at once and too often. I also like to switch it up. Use different meds, even if its as minor as Imitrex injections to Imitrex nasal spray(20 mg not the smaller size).

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 7:36pm

Forget the politics of the thing. These are evil people with whom you are dealing. They have no interest your health.

Some drug companies will "help" you get drugs for a time. I applied for the anti-convulsant I have been stuck with for 15 years when I had a period of no coverage. It worked but the paperwork and deliberately complex and difficult telephone conversations nearly drove me over the edge. My doctor's office helped out but they were on the telephone for 45 minutes. They were great. Fortunately, I needed it only once.

Anyway, you might begin looking into it but you have to have the patience of Job.

Good luck!

Charlie
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2009 at 7:37pm by Charlie »  

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:43pm

Hi Jay,

The title of your thread is actually the key. Get your Doc to write a letter of "medical necessity" indicating "intractable" headaches that require more than "approved" amounts. Your insurance co website or written lit should have more details of exact wording or details of appeal.

I went through excatly the same...it pissed my Doc off enough to write an emphatic letter...that, and the insurance broker going to bat for me...AND, dogged persistence by me in calling, writing and NEVER giving up.

You are right...it is tough duty when all you want is relief and they don't get it...or do, and just care more about the bottom line than you.

Fight it out...you can do it!.... clusterheads don't have the option of giving up...one beast at a time is usually enough. It became a crusade for me that really helped...I could focus on the bastard(s) that could be beat...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:29pm

Random thoughts for any Clusterhead in trouble:

- Oxygen should probably be the number one choice to try to abort CH's. It is nothing short of miraculous for most - but not all. While you are fighting the battle to get Trex, get O2!

- Forced into the situation, I researched long and hard to discover that welding O2 is absolutely the identical product as "medical" oxygen. No prescription required and dirt cheap.

- Oxygen is not a preventative for CH's, but it surely can help ease the agony. For many of us, breathing pure O2 for a very few minutes can kill the attacks with startling regularity.

- Some people need to breathe oxygen at higher rates than others in order to be really successful. Others do well with much less. My point is to be sure and NOT give up if your first try doesn't provide the relief that you are looking for.

By all means, get your doctor and insurance to pay for oxygen if you can. While you are waiting, or if they won't cooperate: You could be in a whole lot less agony starting starting tomorrow morning with welding O2.

Read the "oxygen info" link first, then ask any questions that come to mind: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Become totally proactive and take control of your situation. Read stuff in this site, read some more then ask away!

Marc

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:33pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:33pm

jon019 wrote on Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:43pm:
You are right...it is tough duty when all you want is relief and they don't get it...or do, and just care more about the bottom line than you.

Fight it out...you can do it!.... clusterheads don't have the option of giving up...one beast at a time is usually enough.
             focus on the bastard(s) that could be beat...

Best,

Jon

Couldn't have put it better myself, Jon. 

Keep in contact with your Doc Jay and don't give up!
Let us know what happens and which route you have to take as it maybe helpful to others.

PFDAN to you!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 7:11am

Been there done that, had to go to 3rd level appeal (military insurance) and when they pissed me off real bad I threatened to show up in their head office with the most communicable disease I could find.  Course, ya can't do that in the days since 9/11, something about uttering terroristic threats - what a world we live in.

Jon's advice is best though.

Cat

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 10:53am

Marc wrote on Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:29pm:
Random thoughts for any Clusterhead in trouble:

- Oxygen should probably be the number one choice to try to abort CH's. It is nothing short of miraculous for most - but not all. While you are fighting the battle to get Trex, get O2!

- Forced into the situation, I researched long and hard to discover that welding O2 is absolutely the identical product as "medical" oxygen. No prescription required and dirt cheap.

- Oxygen is not a preventative for CH's, but it surely can help ease the agony. For many of us, breathing pure O2 for a very few minutes can kill the attacks with startling regularity.

- Some people need to breathe oxygen at higher rates than others in order to be really successful. Others do well with much less. My point is to be sure and NOT give up if your first try doesn't provide the relief that you are looking for.

By all means, get your doctor and insurance to pay for oxygen if you can. While you are waiting, or if they won't cooperate: You could be in a whole lot less agony starting starting tomorrow morning with welding O2.

Read the "oxygen info" link first, then ask any questions that come to mind: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Become totally proactive and take control of your situation. Read stuff in this site, read some more then ask away!

Marc

Great post.

Potter

IP Logged

jayrobinson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Tacoma Wa
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:13pm

Hi everybody. Life is good and I am pr. I am wearing my "Together we fight shirt" right now so it is all good. I have manage to stockpile 66 dosages of injectible of 6mil apiece to date, I'm  having trouble converting to vials though. I hate to rock the boat right now. It was all I could do to get a 8 month script. My 02 therapy is in place. I am due this month to trigger so I can only hope that I am armed to the teeth and can function at work. Peace he with us
Jay

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:07pm

Wow! How did you manage to stockpile 66 doses in a month??! Thats info everyone could use!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!