Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preparing a CH first aid kit for travel (Read 1231 times)
Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Preparing a CH first aid kit for travel
Oct 10th, 2009 at 8:53am

In July I travelled outside the country and had a difficult time. I had been pretty fortunate previously but not this time around. The only thing I had was my imitrex(oral) and it helped me most of the time, however I can only take so much of it before I have some side effects. I'm not the type who likes to take meds so I've been working on other things to prepare myself for travel in a couple of weeks(no O2). I have started on the RC seeds and I think they're helping me, and I'll take a dose before I leave. However I was looking for some other abortives that I might be able to take along with me or start taking now. I know there is alot of talk about Taurine but I'm not sure how it's administered except that it's in Red Bull. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Preparing a CH first aid kit for travel
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 9:14am

Several people have reported excellent results with this one. Advantage--a pill; aborts attacks quickly. Your doc can give you a sample to see if it works for you.
=============

Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
===========
Get a letter from your doc giving your Dx so that you can resolve any challenges from Customs about meds you are carrying.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 9:31am

Very much appreciate the info Bob. I'll check with my Doc

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 11:32am

If I'm on cycle and have a vacation or big trip planned, I'll do a pred taper. It's not something you wanna do a lot as pred is a little tough on the body. But for a short 2 week run, it all but guarantees me pain free time.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 2:58pm

Go to WalMart and get 5Hr Energy from the pharmacy.  It will be with energy bars and diet aids.  You can get a 6 pack for $11.88.

They are small enough that you can pack them with you, and they don't exceed the size limits for liquids.  They contain as much Taurene as Red Bull, but are a lot easier on the stomach.  I also like them because they are small and much easier to drink down if you have just eaten.  They also contain a good dose of B complex vitamins that help me to remain calm and not to get irritable as I tend to do when getting hit.

I've taken them along the last two times I've flown and had no probs.  Not sure about Customs, but I don't think it should be a prob.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 3:12pm

Thank You

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 3:44pm

You can also buy Taurine Supplements at a GNC or offline at
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register or a site of your choosing. 
The above site is where I get my supplements from. 

Pop a Taurine and have a cup of coffee.

<Edit>

Kudzu is also a good preventative if you want to add it to your medication. 
You can buy it from the same site or one of your choosing.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2009 at 3:48pm by JustNotRight »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 3:54pm

Ya know Ginger you were reading my mind. I was about to ask about the Taurine supplements as opposed to the energy drinks and you just answered my question, the caffeine. Actually a good strong cup of coffee does help me abort shadowing sometimes. It just is a pain when it's late because caffeine will keep me up half the night if I drimk it after 7PM.

I do have another question and please no lectures....Smiley I do have a difficult time with alcohol and it's a drag not being able to drink especially when I'm on vacation and it's "FREE".  What do you guys feel is the safest way to abort an attack while drinking if there is no O2 available?

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 4:04pm

Wish I could help you with the alcohol question Howard, But I can't drink at all without getting a hit...so I don't drink. 

I am glad I could help in advance on the supplement questions though.   Grin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 5:19pm

Well I don't do well with alcohol as well, and for the most part I avoid it at all costs. Occasionally I'll give it a try and I'm OK, but for the most part I usually pay the price. For the most part it's not an issue, but I do get the urge, especailly around parties etc.....thanks Ginger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!