Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Don't Kids Learn Basic Math Anymore? (Read 2713 times)
Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Don't Kids Learn Basic Math Anymore?
Reply #25 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 11:24pm

Quote:
....I know what you mean about having pants hanging down below their butt. I thought that style went out years ago.

It's supposed to go out of style before you walk out of the exam room at the free vaccination clinic. Grin

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #26 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 10:02am

As a teacher I see the other side. Delta brought up the best point. It is not a teachers job to do it all. Our nurses spend way to much time redressing kids that come to school inappropriate. I have given out to much of my string to pull those pants up. Umm who bought the pants?? Not the school! I have kindergarten children coming to me with no manners, yet we are supposed to work miracles. Maybe teachers could spend more time on educational needs of the kids if we weren't dealing with so many behavior issues. Spelling, handwriting, and counting IS in our curriculums. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to call parents and can't reach them for days or when I do they are so clueless what to do. It takes a team to raise a child. We need to stop critizing the schools and the parents and work together!!!

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #27 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 10:10am

as a general rule I have seen curriculum take a major downward turn over the years. ESPECIALLY IN MATH!!

Children are horrible with regards to math but it is the schools that now foster scores for standardized tests which do not address such skills.
The teachers in many schools are not allowed to teach outside of the given curriculum so we wind up with highschoolers who still use their fingers and toes to count.

It's sad

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #28 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 12:28pm

Charlotte, you're right, teachers shouldn't have to teach children skills that should be taught by parents. I can't believe that parents don't understand this! Just send the child to school, let the teacher teach them life skills, AND the curriculum. It does take a team, but it also takes, as Hillary said, a village to teach a child. Parents can't expect a teacher to do it all.

When I was in school, we used manners and showed respect that was taught by our parents. If the teacher sent home a note, or called the parents, the parents would not only be embarrased, but the kid in question would be punished. If we came home and said the teacher was picking on us, our parents would say "Too damn bad!" Our parents didn't take the side of the child. That's how we learned to get along, and show respect.

The neighborhood adults were instrumental in helping to teach us, as kids. It was expected, and not seen as butting in, and it worked. But our parents were responsible for teaching us, ultimately.

If teachers weren't expected to teach kids what parents should be, then maybe more time could be spent on educational skills. I'm not saying every family is like this, obviously, there are good parents and great kids. But it seems this is the minority.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #29 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 1:01pm

My fourth grade teacher grabbed me and dragged me across the classroom...squeezed my arm a lot in doing so...while telling me what a little shit...not her word...I was that morning. I was so embarrassed that I was Boy Scout for the rest of the year and beyond. She'd be in jail for that today.

They should bring back the draft. The kids in uniform are almost always polite and thoughtful to others. You gotta be proud of them.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #30 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 2:23pm

Parents now a days show up (sometimes) for parent teacher conferences.  They (as a general rule) are not involved in their children's school life.  I am one parent who knows most moves my kids make, and am the first one to be in the office when something has gone wrong (on either side - student or teacher)  The current principle at the high school hates to see me show up cause he never knows what exactly has happened.

My kids know that if THEY don't inform me, and I find out through other means, then they are in double trouble.  I have ongoing and constant communication with the schools.  I know my kids friends, where they live, their phone numbers, and their parents.

That's how I was raised.  It drives my kids nuts that I know things they don't think I know.  I believe in giving them enough rope to hang themselves (failure teaches) then shortening their rope dramatically until it's time to let it out slowly again.

My kids could all read, count, know their alphabet and colors etc. long before they entered kindergarten.  My secret weapon?  My children have been read to LITERALLY since the delivery room.

Teach them to read young and they will be able to discover ways to solve other problems - especially math word problems.  Making change is the easiest thing in the world.  It is appalling that today's youth is so far behind living in the real world.  Won't college be a treat for them.  Or have college profs taken to hand holding too?

Cat who is disgusted with the education system.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #31 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 6:00pm

If every parent was as aware and open minded as Cat, it would be easier to teach. I LOVE that suportive parent, the one that says I'll be there next period and sit with my child. Oh , how embarrassing, but effective. So many parents just aren't available. How have we become so busy at home and teaching curriculms at school to let this get so out of hand!? I'm waiting for the pendylum to swing back and day!

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!