Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Don't Kids Learn Basic Math Anymore? (Read 2683 times)
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Don't Kids Learn Basic Math Anymore?
Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:21am

I was in McDonald's last week for lunch, the girl waiting on me was about 18 or so. My total came to $5.97. I gave her $6.00. She cleared the screen somehow, and had to ask her manager what my change would be for $6.00 for the total of $5.97. The manager told her 3 cents.

When I happen to go through the drive through, and the total is say, $5.26, and I give them a $10.00 bill, plus 26 cents, so I can get a $5.00 bill back, they just stare at me, or even ask me why I'm giving them the change. I've even had one person tell me I couldn't give them the extra coin.

My niece had an after school job a few years ago at the local ice cream place. The register didn't tell you how much change to give, and she didn't know how to make change. My sister-in-law was upset because her high school didn't teach her how to make change.

Don't schools teach this? I was taught how to make change when I was in 3rd grade. I hate to think of young people not learning basic math skills, and I won't even go into spelling and grammar. Schools must be much different now.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Skullcrusher
CH.com Junior

I'm Tired of Hurting!

Guelph,Ontario, Canada
Re: Don't Kids Learn Basic Math Anymore?
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:26am

My 2 boys are 10 and 12. I have to help them with their math because my wife (who works in the their school) can't figure it out. Some of the stuff is so complex I have to scratch my head and think...But your right, it's incredible the easy stuff they can't even do? They can't even tell time with a watch with only the hands...I try and teach them myself, everyone know what that's like.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 7:38am

Our job as parents is to produce independent thinkers.

Government schools produce dependents. Dependent on what, you ask?

Government. A self-fulfilling prophesy.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 8:56am

We used to play "Store". I think that's where I learned to make change.

Another game my grandpa taught us was Cribbage. It makes you count, and count fast.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Grinner62
CH.com Veteran

Wichita Falls,Texas
Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:02am

I don't think they teach. But wait till the new indoctrinated crew grows up. Singing praises to the "ONE" doesn't teach that "Change" is all that's left.

I went through the Sonic drive-thru and gave the girl $12 so I could get a $5 back. She was confused and asked why I gave the extra $2. When I told her, she paused and said "wow, that's good math!" (Que Rod Serling here). She still screwed up the silver part of the change, even with the register showing what it was supposed to be.

I don't think Darwin took into account the cute and dumb combo.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:04am

Hope and change.

I hope they get my change right.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:12pm

It has happened to me as well. But I do know they teach it here because I helped my granddaughter in math all last year in the 3rd grade and that was part of her curriculem. So I know she knows how to do it right now. Hopefully it sticks.

The embarrasing part was that by the Christmas break, I was struggling to help her. I had forgotten so much.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:27pm

Jimi wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:12pm:
It has happened to me as well. But I do know they teach it here because I helped my granddaughter in math all last year in the 3rd grade and that was part of her curriculem. So I know she knows how to do it right now. Hopefully it sticks.

The embarrasing part was that by the Christmas break, I was struggling to help her. I had forgotten so much.

The problem is, how many young boys and girls have mom, dad, grandpa or grandma to help them? In the big cities, not too many.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 2:28pm

My former bank used to have it spelled out on the screen for the tellers what change to give out, breaking it down to # of 5's, # of 1's, # of quarters, etc.  They had to go to the screen to make change.  I thought banks should be a little higher on the food chain than McD's, but found out differently.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 2:41pm

Happens all the time.  I'll give the cashier change, so I don't get back a bunch of change, and I can see their eyes glaze over in confusion.  That's why I like Quick Trip (local gas/convience store), they always count back the change.

Learning to count....hmmm.....interesting......I wonder if they teach that in school?

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 2:44pm

I know another thing they don't teach properly in school. Composition.

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 7:49pm

Quote:
We used to play "Store". I think that's where I learned to make change.

Yeah. We did that too with my toy cash register....no batteries.

Kids here don't seem to have trouble with it but I don't get around much. Mostly, people with hair as gray as mine do well.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 10:07pm

Another thing not taught in today's schools is manners. Or respect. They are all taught everyone is "special" or "unique"..yeah right. You are unique just like everybody else. It's all about them until they think they need something, then they are rude about it. As if the world owes them. How about a little respect to your elders, or say...other humans? Emo this you slack-jawed, waste of my time and air. Go get your hair cut and maybe lay off the razor blades there Marilyn Manson. (sheesh..sorry. That was not a generalization. To a specific individual at the Valero station.)

I am also fed up with pants being worn around the knees. Sagging or what ever the hell they call it. Ok, fashion is one thing, but to actually hinder your ability to walk is another.I saw this one kid in COLLEGE the other day with his pants so low you could see his leg below his boxers and yet above his belt. He was holding them up by the crotch, and carrying a skateboard; yeah, as if he'd be able to ride it. I think his back pockets may have been in his shoes for crying out loud. [/rant]

Maybe I'm just too old.
Eric
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009 at 10:12pm by DeStijl »  
https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Madisonville, KY
Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 10:37pm

Yep, we are getting old. I remember my parents saying the same thing about me in the 60's. Wearing my hair like a girl, guys wearing earings and weird clothes, listening to devils music and rioting in the streets. We have become our parents. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 10:57pm

Why don't you wear your hair like a girl any more Jimi?  I'd like to see that! Grin

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Madisonville, KY
Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:30pm

I refer back to the first 5 words of my post.  Old age. Seriously, if I had hair, I would probably wear it long. But enough about that, back to the dumb younger generation. Cool

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 6:43am

This has been going on for years -- they're not teaching the "basics" any more in school. Kids are not even being taught to write in cursive any more. They're actually learning to PRINT their names instead of signing them.

What we got in high school back in the day (and I'm older than Charlie OR Jimi) was MORE than most kids are getting today graduating from college.

But it is a sad state of affairs when a kid can't figure out you need 3 cents change... and a little scarey...

BD Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 12:20pm

We have a bunch of ill mannered, ignorant, sloppily dressed, pierced, tattooed, ungrateful kids growing up all over the country.

What the hell generation raised these bums?

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 1:08pm

BobG wrote on Oct 9th, 2009 at 12:20pm:
We have a bunch of ill mannered, ignorant, sloppily dressed, pierced, tattooed, ungrateful kids growing up all over the country.

Yours. Wink

IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #19 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 4:36pm

Brew wrote on Oct 9th, 2009 at 1:08pm:

Yours. Wink

HAHAHA I don't mind the pierced, tattooed, or the music they ...I...listen to. It's the attitude, lack of manners, and overall who gives a shit responsibilities I have a problem with. Bah...we're going to hell on the teenager express...hold on.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 5:25pm

As far as basic math is concerned, nope, the kids carry calculators on their cell phones or their laptops to school.  Who needs to know addition, subtraction, multiplication or division.  There are buttons on the calculator that do it for them.  The only thing they are learning is which button does what!

These are our future leaders.  Go ahead, shoot me now.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #21 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 5:47pm

AND.......

Don't get me on the pants hanging down over or below the butts.

We stopped in at a fast food restaurant one time and the boy behind the counter, who was going to be serving us our food, wore his pants belted below his butt, with boxers showing underneath the pants.  However, his belt appeared to be slipping, so his boxers were being pulled down and the crack of his butt was very visible.  He kept reaching down behind himself to grab the belt to pull his pants and boxers up, obviously touching his butt crack with his bare hand.  He's then going to put my fries in their little sack and give it to me?????

I said nothing to the kid, but did ask to speak with the manager.  The manager for that day was another kid, not much older than the other one.  He said he was really sorry and would re-make my order - THE SAME KID WOULD BE SERVING, and he had not been told to go into the bathroom and remedy his pants problem and wash his hands. I said no thanks and left.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #22 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 6:27pm

Rotten little whippersnappers.

Charlie  Shocked

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #23 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 7:31pm

DeStijl wrote on Oct 9th, 2009 at 4:36pm:
Brew wrote on Oct 9th, 2009 at 1:08pm:

Yours. Wink

HAHAHA I don't mind the pierced, tattooed, or the music they ...I...listen to. It's the attitude, lack of manners, and overall who gives a shit responsibilities I have a problem with. Bah...we're going to hell on the teenager express...hold on.

Again, unless the kids came out of the womb full grown and on their own, somebody (in most cases) was responsible for teaching them how to navigate this world. 

There are a lot of good kids out there.  Unfortunately, it's the bad kids that catch our attention.

BTW, Jimi, did you ever try to listen to any of those records backward to see if there was actually any meaning to the words *devil music*?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 11:03pm

It's sad and disappointing to know kids today can't make change, write, or do anything without a machine telling them how and what. It's really bad that, at the bank, they need to show the tellers how much money to hand out, and in what form!

But then, these kids have parents to give them their $ to spend, except it comes from a debit card. My niece would go shopping and not have any idea if the change she was getting was right or not.

God forbid they should actually work for money to pay for things, like rent, utilities, food and the clothes on their back. I moved out of the house 2 weeks after I turned 17, and I had a job to pay for the cost of living. I didn't get help from my parents. I worked in a restaurant at the time, and got free meals when I worked. Buying food was the last thing I did, after paying my bills.

I think the baby boomer generation started a whole new way of life for kids. Allowance? What's an allowance? Hell, let's just support our kids, give them money for whatever they want, whenever they want. And now these kids are doing the the same for their kids.

I've heard many kids complain to their parents about not getting this or that. Mom or dad is laid off, family income has been slashed, but god forbid the kids should get a job and help out with family expenses. And yet they live at home for free. I get tired of hearing how hard kids have it today.

Sandy, I know what you mean about having pants hanging down below their butt. I thought that style went out years ago.

I guess I'm getting old.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!