Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
W T F? (Read 836 times)
KingOfPain
CH.com Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

North America
W T F?
Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:49am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

FirstEnergy Bulb Giveaway To Cost Customers
Power Company Handing Out 4 Million Low-Energy Bulbs
POSTED: 7:05 pm EDT October 5, 2009
UPDATED: 6:59 pm EDT October 6, 2009

AKRON, Ohio -- FirstEnergy Corp. plans to provide nearly 4 million low-energy light bulbs to its residential electricity customers in Ohio.

Akron-based FirstEnergy said Monday that distribution will begin in mid-October. Two compact fluorescent light bulbs will be mailed or hand-delivered to residential customers of Ohio Edison, Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co. and Toledo Edison.

The cost of the program will be underwritten by customers, who FirstEnergy said can recover three times the cost through projected energy savings. Reports indicate that there will be a 60 cent charge on customers' bills for the next three years.

The program approved by state regulators is meant to reduce electricity usage and increase awareness of energy conservation.

The CFL bulbs use up to 75 percent less electricity than traditional incandescent bulbs.

Feedback
Discuss: Light Bulb Giveaway
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

dvrdown     10-07-2009, 9:19 AM         
Here is the reply I received from my complaint to First Energy, basically they don't care how people feel, they want their money:

Thank you for utilizing FirstEnergy's Customer Care website for your account needs. Ohio Edison/Toledo Edison/The Illuminating Company is focused on helping our customers lower their electric bills by reducing energy use and increasing the energy efficiency of their homes and businesses. CFLs are simple yet effective tools for saving energy. For example, replacing a single 100-watt incandescent bulb with a CFL of the same light output can reduce your electric bill by $10 a year. Thats $10 for every bulb you switch, so your savings can add up.

If a delivery person comes to your house when you are home, please simply ask them not to deliver the bulbs to your home, and they will move on. If you do receive bulbs either through the mail or at your door feel free to give them to a neighbor, friend or a family member. If you want to dispose of them, check if your municipality permits you to put CFLs in the garbage. If so, seal the bulb in two plastic bags and put it into the outside trash, or other protected outside location, for the next normal trash collection. If not, you will need to properly recycle the bulbs. CFL recycling is available free of charge at The Home Depot stores or your municipality might have other CFL recycling programs available.

This CFL program is part of a statewide effort under Ohios new energy law (Senate Bill 221) to reduce the amount of electricity customers use. As with most state-mandated programs that are designed to benefit all residential customers such as energy efficiency programs and environmental projects the costs incurred by the utilities to implement the program are included in residential customer rates. So all customers share the costs of the programs over a period of several years.

Sincerely,

Rachel Customer Service

The program was approved by state regulators?
What the?

Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:54am by KingOfPain »  

Arrived August, 1999.
We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter. - Denis Diderot
Thanks for the ignore function! Wink

IP Logged

KingOfPain
CH.com Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

North America
Re: W T F?
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 11:02am

What's the Big Idea? Ohio's Energy-Efficient Light Bulb Program

Arrived August, 1999.
We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter. - Denis Diderot

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 11:28am

I'm not convinced that adequate measures are in place to effectively deal with the mercury contamination potential associated with hundreds of millions of CFL's.

Working to solve one problem can often result in new problems that are as bad or worse.

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:16pm

Hmmmm.

Nothing is straight forward today.

Marc: I have a number of these things around here now but clumsy oaf that I am, I smashed one to smithereens last spring. I'm doomed. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:25pm

Bought 2 ea. 4-packs of CFLs at Bed-Bath n Beyond last week.  $0.99/4-pack!

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 11:13pm

allot of people that live in the western united states pride themselves on being independent with windmills and solar power. been thinking about that myself here lately

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 11:15pm

Marc wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 11:28am:
I'm not convinced that adequate measures are in place to effectively deal with the mercury contamination potential associated with hundreds of millions of CFL's.

Working to solve one problem can often result in new problems that are as bad or worse.

thats a good point marc. nobody ever mentions that

IP Logged

KingOfPain
CH.com Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

North America
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 9:25am

Cleanup and Disposal Guidelines
For Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs)
June 2008

Arrived August, 1999.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!