Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neurostimulation Therapy for Chronic CH (Read 1490 times)
John B
CH.com Alumnus

Phoenix, AZ USA
Neurostimulation Therapy for Chronic CH
Oct 6th, 2009 at 12:47pm

My doc sent me to a pain management center (20 years chronic CH) where they recommended Medtronic neurostimulation therapy using implanted electrode and device to interfere with the pain signal.  The equipment manufacturer maintains a website at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Does anyone have any experience with this treatment?  Any thoughts?
John B

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Neurostimulation Therapy for Chronic CH
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 1:12pm

Address Not Found
Firefox can't find the server at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. .

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 1:35pm

Remove everything after the .com

(the dot, the space, and the forward slash)

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 5:59pm

B4 going to that extreme have you tried high flow Oxygen? 

Not being critical, just don't know.  I don't know the company, but NOBODY cuts on me or puts things in me until there is no other option. 

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 6:44pm

Medtronics is a well known company in the high tech pacemaker business.

IP Logged

John B
CH.com Alumnus

Phoenix, AZ USA
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 6:56pm

Yeah, I do use oxygen and it helps a lot most of the time.  With 20+ years of chronic ch, you can bet your butt that I've tried everything.  This is the first thing short of a rhizotomy that seems to have some potential to help.  I'm not keen to go under the knife either, but ch/depression is making my life more difficult.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 7:43pm

John,

I understand your 20 year history, but I'd like to hear what meds, at what doses you've tried that didn't work. Very, very few docs know everything out there.

For instance, what kind of O2 mask and regulator flow rate do you use? High high were your Verapamil doses? Stuff like that has changed in the last few years.

The stimulator may be the best course of action, but I'm really curious about the other.

Marc
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2009 at 7:44pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

John B
CH.com Alumnus

Phoenix, AZ USA
Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 12:47pm

I use a pillow mask similar to the one sold by the CH.com store.  I get them from headachemasters.com (Denmark).  I use 15 L/M and that allows me to hyperventilate with 100% oxygen.  It works if I catch it in time, but sometimes the ones that wake me up at night are too far gone to catch with oxygen.  I've used so much ergot over the years that the doc's say I've exceeded my lifetime maximum.  I have a lot of blood in my urine, heart valve damage, etc.  I still use DHE-45 when necessary.

I'm not comfortable giving a complete history over the Internet, but I have used very, very high doses of everything listed on the meds pages here.  Currently taking 480 of verapamil (240mg bid).   Many things have helped, but lose effectiveness over time.  Some I simply could not tolerate and still function (stupi-max, for example; my name for Topamax, which causes severe short-term memory loss for me).  Thanks for your interest; I'm really looking for any feedback from someone who has used the procedure. 

John B

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 4:38pm

Good info, John. Sounds like you have indeed tried the normal stuff, including a good mask!

Have you read up on the potential use of a botanical approach using RC seeds?  (Rivea Corymbosa aka. Ololiuqui)  You can find a lot of first hand experience on that subject right here.

Hopefully someone with direct experience with stimulator will chime in.

Marc
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2009 at 4:59pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

John B
CH.com Alumnus

Phoenix, AZ USA
Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:13am

Thank you, Marc.  I did run across the seeds, and will check them out on erowid and clusterheads, etc.  I've thought about flying to Amsterdam . . .

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:28am

The beauty of RC seeds is the legality of buying them - they grow flowers too.

I've had variable success with them, but other chronics have reported very, very good results.

Marc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!