Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
About Korea (deltadarlin's daughter) (Read 3680 times)
Sarah Elizabeth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

About Korea (deltadarlin's daughter)
Oct 6th, 2009 at 12:08am

First off, thank you to so many of you for supporting me and being proud of me in this endeavor.  Unfortunately, it has been cut short.  I will most likely be heading back to the states in a couple of days. 

It's not culture shock.  I wish it were, because I could deal with that.  It's not though.

The problem is the school. I came here thinking my schedule would be from 2-9 with 10-15 breaks in between each class and an hour break somewhere in there (So six classes a day.) Instead, I've come to have a schedule of 11-12, and 2-6, 7? I'm not sure anymore. It keeps changing. I'm given work books to make lesson plans from, expecting to know how to do EVERYTHING.

Example: Today, I had my adult class. There is no curriculum or text book for this class. I had NO clue what to do. If I was teaching history, sure, I could do it. That lasted from 11-12. I am also not supposed to teach adults, or that's what I understood, since the name of the school is Child U.

I was told to come back at 2. NO ONE was at the school for over 30 minutes. When they did, I got thrust into teaching first, beginners, then advanced, then intermediates. Sounds great and easy, right? No. I got no breaks in between classes. I swear my throat is raw and bleeding right about now. Me and the director (also the other teacher) switch off for thirty minutes with each class, except for the intermediate, which I am "supposedly" supposed to teach for an hour.

Also, even though my contract specifically states I am there to teach the English language, I am expected to teach math, science, and social studies. Okay, I don't mind teaching social studies, but math and science? I can barely do basic math with a calculator. I can't teach that stuff.
The curriculum is horrible for the English. My students noticed three errors within the first FIVE pages of their books. I'm not really sure how I'm going to do this when I have to spend half as much time correcting the books so my students don't get confused.

My director? At first I thought she was great, until I started hearing things like,"She ate this much pizza!" or "She got lost late at night with Dave, I wonder what they were doing." Also, if I go anywhere other than the school, I get the whole,"Where are you going, why are you going there, who are you going with, and when will you be back?"

This weekend was Chuseok. I swear UP and DOWN that she first said I'd go with her in the afternoon, then at 4 AM in the morning, and then that she said I had the afternoon free. I KNOW she said I had the afternoon free. Apparently she didn't mean it because she came by my apartment at 5 and I wasn't here. What happened because of this? I got a new not a very nice person ripped in front of my students.

So, I am sorry for those that I am disappointing by leaving/giving up, but I can't deal with this and stay sane.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Re: About Korea (deltadarlin's daughter)
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 12:24am

You will disappoint no one for leaving a post that is not what you were lead to believe it was.  I'm proud that you were willing to go outside of your comfort zone and try to reach out.  Don't give up hope.  There is someplace for you to make a difference.  If not there then somewhere else.  You have held up your end of the deal and need not hang your head in defeat. 

I'll be praying the right opportunity comes along for you and you will recognize it.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 5:45am

So Sorry Sarah Elizabeth your dream adventure turned into a bit of a nightmare, but hey, these things happen.

I think most importantly that you must not let this misadventure put you off from availing of other teaching opportunities in different Countries. It wasn't meant to be and your dream adventure is still out there waiting on you... Wink

Lefty..!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 7:25am

Sarah, knock that $hit off - you are disappointing NO ONE.  You gave this one hell of a go.  You cannot be expected to do things you yourself are not trained to do. 

I mean c'mon, you can't be expected to walk into a foreign country and know everything you are supposed to know right from the get go - especially when you aren't even shown how to get through the basics.

You jumped at an opportunity, and it turned out to not be what you expected.  Ok, time for your next opportunity.  Keep lookin forward kid.

Cat

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 7:45am

Sarah - The only one who'll be disappointed is the director - because you didn't fall for the old bait and switch. What you are doing is realizing that to stay and fulfill the terms of a faulty contract would be a waste of time and trip down insanity road.

Come home, regroup, shake it off, and start again. We're behind you.

Bill

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 8:17am

Hello Sarah,

I am very sorry to hear of the chaos you're experiencing.  I echo what Brew has told you.  Regroup and move on.

Take care and I hope things go well from here on out!

~mel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 10:28am

Sarah  - there is no shame in getting the heck out of that place.  Much the same thing happened to my niece, but in Australia.

I know you had such high hopes but you've give this your best shot and now it's time to come home and re-group.

Hang in there kiddo.
Carol

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 10:38am

Sarah:

Come on home.

Brew said it best.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 1:29pm

Fuck em.  It's their loss.

Potter

IP Logged

Sarah Elizabeth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:14am

Thank you so much, everyone, because of a part of me is screaming that I'm a failure.

I actually talked to another recruiter and it was great until I said,"I'm not paying the flight back to this school because I haven't gotten paid and I'm not giving 60 days notice."  They violated the bloody contract, so am I.

To add to the insanity, I got ripped a new one for not teaching the adults class "properly", my director REFUSED to give me my diploma until I lied through my teeth.    I got told that I was "damaging the school's reputation" by checking the clock on my phone because there's no clock in the classroom.  I was made to work today despite being sick and having a fever, even though I am supposed to have sick days.  I was told to teach a class where the kid doesn't understand a word of English...without a book...they chose a children's book for a 15 year old kid.

Maybe I will just apply to Teach for America, or say screw it and go into law school so that I can focus on international law and helping people who get in my situation because there HAS to be a way for people to get out of this without running and never being allowed to get back in the country that they ran from.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:59am

You've got the right attitude, girl.

And don't for a second think that because "they violated the bloody contract, so am I." They violated the contract - that makes it null and void from the point they violated it. Therefore you no longer have a contract to violate. Don't miss the distinction.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:29am

From the frying pan into the fire.  Trying to get her out of the country now.  Just got to get the logistics worked out.  Needless to say, mama's not going to make it to work today (frickin' chest pains/stress negate that).  I really don't think I could *think clearly* enough to get where I need to go and then get my job done.  Boss lady already knows and told me to do what I need to do.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:15am

deltadarlin wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:29am:
Boss lady already knows and told me to do what I need to do.

I have a boss like that, too. They are rare. God love 'em.

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:30am

Thank goodness, Jimbo can still get on Yahoo at work.  He talked to Sarah and he's off to the travel agency to get her ticket.  Should have her back home sometime Friday afternoon.

To each and every one of you who has responded to Sarah, you have my heartfelt thanks.  If I weren't so damned tired, I'd pm each one of you personally.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Peppermint
CH.com Alumnus

Work it out baby!

New York|USA
Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 12:38pm

Hey Sara,
Just read this...talk about bait & switch!  I'm sorry that you're in this situation, but you should NOT feel like a failure my dear, these people clearly knew what they were doing and don't appear to have the resources for a program like the one they sold you on.

Just know this - whether it's abroad, or here in the States, things like this happen, and when they do, you do what you are doing - MOVE ON!  It's one thing to adapt, and another completely to be taken advantage of and be left with no resources.

I'll be giving your mom a call soon - in the meantime, keep your stance firm, you will be home in no time.  You have something out there better and bigger waiting for you, I'm sure.

Pepp  Cool
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:58pm by Peppermint »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register FYI- I am NoT a clusterhead!
Love and kindness are never wasted.
IP Logged

Louise Barham
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Columbia, South Carolina
Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 12:42pm

I just have to agree with everyone.  You have done nothing to be asshamed of.  You have legal rights behind you and you should look for an avenue to sue the bastards.  When you get home, look for someone in foreign law.  If you can't find anyone, let me know.  I was in the legal "business" for 30 years.  I will find someone for you if need be, and happy to do it.  Someone needs to take these people to task.  Let's be that someone and protect other people who only want to help.

Safe travels,
Louise

Louise&&Mother of CH son
weezerbarham  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:13pm

Ticket is bought, she has the information now.  She will be home tomorrow night about 8:30.  She flies out of Seoul to LA, arrives in LA 9:50 am, leaves there at 12:35, flies to Houston, has a short layover there and then will be home.

Again, I can't thank-you enough for the support you have shown Sarah (and me).  Keep your fingers crossed!

Carolyn

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #17 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:39pm

Carolyn - when you get that little gal home - please give her a huge hug for me.  I can only imagine your stress levels with all of this.

Take care
Carol

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #18 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:53pm

I'm so sorry, Sweetie.  I know you must be terribly disappointed.  What was to be a grand adventure for you has turned out to be a total nightmare.

Keep your chin up, Sarah, and know we love you.

Jackie
(who will be glad when Sarah is home safe and sound)
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:53pm by Jackie »  

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:19pm

deltadarlin wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:13pm:
......She will be home tomorrow night about 8:30. 
Carolyn

I like the sound of them words!

Marc

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #20 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:38pm

I think I'm going to take a nap.  I've had enough excitement for one day.  Let's keep the *power of positive* going and get her back on US soil.

IP Logged

LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Champaign, IL
Reply #21 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:46pm

Sarah Elizabeth wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:14am:
Thank you so much, everyone, because of a part of me is screaming that I'm a failure.

Sarah, by no means are you a failure... A failure is someone that don't try. Even though you was mislead, you still gave it your all. Come home Sweetie with your head held high..

I have a friend that has been teaching English in   Prague Czech Republic for 3 years... and that's all Ray teaches is English..

Sarah, I wish things had of turned out different for you; as I'm sure you do also.. but it is what it is.

Luv & Hugs
Peace & Blessings
LadyLuv

Ruthie Harper Ruthie Harper  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #22 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 4:17pm

deltadarlin wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:13pm:
Ticket is bought, she has the information now.  She will be home tomorrow night about 8:30.  She flies out of Seoul to LA, arrives in LA 9:50 am, leaves there at 12:35, flies to Houston, has a short layover there and then will be home.

Again, I can't thank-you enough for the support you have shown Sarah (and me).  Keep your fingers crossed!

Carolyn

Based on the flight time and a little bit of 'cipherin' on my part, I think that would mean she leaves just after midnight tonight, CDT. Prayers up for safe journey.

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #23 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 5:44pm

Real close Brew, they are 14 hours ahead of us, so she'll be flying out about 3 am CDT.

Nap is not in the equation right how.  Just hoping sleep is tonight.

I just talked to her on Yahoo.  They're leaving, taking the local bus to Cheongju and from there, she'll take the limousine bus to Incheon (I think).  She will send me an e-mail before she boards the plane.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:16pm by deltadarlin »  

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #24 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:23pm

I am so sorry this didn't work out. I can't add much else that hasn't been said, just to let you know another person is praying for a safe return.

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!