Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Update III (Read 1232 times)
jim murphy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Update III
Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:08pm

In my last update I said that I had been pain free since approx. Sept 7th and asked about coming off Verapamil. I decided to stay on it a little longer because I had weddings to attend on successive weekends and didn't want to risk screwing things up. Still pain free and attended the second wedding last Friday. I even risked a couple of beers and 2 scotch and soda with no ill effects. I stopped cold turkey, after talking to my doc. Saturday morning. Still pain and med free at the moment and have my fingers crossed. Hope to file a final update after a week medication free. Here's hoping

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Update III
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:28pm

Here's hoping, too.

It takes 10-14 days to build up to theraputic levels in the system. Maybe it takes that long to leave. Who knows?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

ClusterChris
CH.com Old Timer

Damn Head!

Welland, Ontario
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:32pm

Good to hear Jimi,

In another post I asked if anyone has had any drinks on verap because my pill bottle specifically says do not consume alcohol. I am heading to the Buffalo Bills game on Sunday and not having any beer is pretty much out of the question. I'll give it a try in moderation!

Cheers

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:42pm

Jim,

What was your dosage before quitting?

Counter to popular opinion, my Neuro(s) have always let me quit cold turkey if I was at 480mg or less. At higher doses, they wanted a taper over a few days.

Their reason was that I don't have high blood pressure, so a hypertensive crisis wasn't a concern.

As explained to me, anyone with high blood pressure should never (ever) do it.

Marc

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:21pm

Marc wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:42pm:
Counter to popular opinion, my Neuro(s) have always let me quit cold turkey if I was at 480mg or less. At higher doses, they wanted a taper over a few days.

Same here. At 480 the neuro was pretty blasse about quitting. She said..."two weeks would be nice...one week ok...and actually, I'm not worried at all if you just stop".

This from someone who is so convinced on verapamil that she almost giggles when prescribing...apparently has worked oh so well with her cluster patients. Including me.

BTW...she is EQUALLY convinced re O2...and delighted to prescribe.

Being me, I rarely STOP any med cold turkey....it's not hard to taper down...why chance it?

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

jim murphy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 1:40pm

I was taking 320mg a day although I had been prescribed 360mg. I found it was overkill. Oddly enough I was able to drink alcohol while taking it with no ill affects.Alcohol has always been taboo in the past. The ensuing CH was brutal.  Having a couple of beers may be the only way to stomach a Bills game though. Damn the headache! Go Argos.
Murphy

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 5:56pm

Great news Jim!  Hang around if you can.  We can always use the support, and it is a good idea to keep up with what is going on for your next go-round.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 6:03pm

ClusterChris wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:32pm:
Good to hear Jimi,

In another post I asked if anyone has had any drinks on verap because my pill bottle specifically says do not consume alcohol. I am heading to the Buffalo Bills game on Sunday and not having any beer is pretty much out of the question. I'll give it a try in moderation!

Cheers

Moderation definitely!!  Verapamil will enhance the affects of alcohol, you may be drunk before you know it.  Just in case have a Designated driver.  Cheers and have one for me while your at it, I can't touch the stuff.  Sad

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

ClusterChris
CH.com Old Timer

Damn Head!

Welland, Ontario
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 6:54pm

thanks for the advice, I think I am more afraid of the bills giving me a headache rather then the alcohol Embarrassed

Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!