Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I Read It Here ... Blasting A/C (Read 1680 times)
LucyBee210
CH.com Junior

x0|Brooksville|USA||0|0|FL,Florida
I Read It Here ... Blasting A/C
Oct 4th, 2009 at 12:29pm

I was browsing the other day through the posts and read one where when the writer felt one coming on he jumped in his vehicle, turned the A/C up full blast and positioned his face/head in the stream of frigid air.  My husband and I were going to take a nice little drive today and 5 minutes into it I felt a killer headache coming on.  He turned around and I turned the A/C on full blast and let it hit me in the head and face.  I cannot believe it stopped it dead in the demon's tracks.. Too good to be true but it worked.. Wish I could find that post but I wouldn't even know where to start.  Unbelievable and thank you to whomever posted that valuable post...

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: I Read It Here ... Blasting A/C
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 2:21pm

Yes, In a pinch sitting in front of an AC or a fan on high will do.  I've done it many times before I got my oxygen tank or when I ran out of 02 on a Friday night and couldn't get them refilled til Monday morning.

Better yet though is to get your Dr. to prescribe oxygen Lucy.  With a high-flow regulator and a non-rebreather mask.  Works so much better and faster.  There is a link to the left that will tell you everything you need to know.  You can also print it out to take to your Dr. if he is reluctant to prescribe it.

In a desperate situation with no abortives you can down some strong coffee or one of those energy drinks along with it too.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 2:22pm

It won't work every time, but it's a nice stop-gap when it does.

Pray tell, why were you out for a drive without a bottle of O2?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 5:38pm

You're welcome LucyBee.  Grin

Yeah I find the car A/C to work every time during the first week of my episode, before the hits start coming on really strong, and when even 10 LPM O2 with a standard mask can also abort a hit.

Kudos to your husband for going along with it and enduring getting himself pretty chilled in the car there too.  Smiley

I first read about cold air as an abortive online in a predecessor to this forum I believe, it would've been 1997.

I didn't have air conditioning in the car or house at that time though in So Cal, so I didn't really get a good chance to try it out until we were visiting Washington state that March.

I was actually in peak cycle at that time I think. There we were on the ferry from Bainbridge to Seattle, and  the beast starts coming on strong. So I went out to the open air bow of the ship, where the air blows in your face very strong and cold coming of those frigid Puget sound waters.

I was out there with the tear streaming down my cheek, the hit rocketing right up into high kipville, when DANG if deep sniffing of that freezing air didn't just knock the CH right out - I couldn't believe it!

Anyone here ever take that ferry? Wow what a stunningly beautiful view of Downtown Seattle, the Emerald City on the waterfront as the ferry approaches it in Elliot Bay. And I was able to soak it in pain free.

Ok well a few hours later I had to use my last trex injection   in the plane lavatory on the flight back to Cal. as a whopper came a knockin', but hey, the cold air bought me some time.  Cool

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2009 at 6:00pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 6:30pm

Putting your face into a chest freezer will work in a pinch too! If I pinch close the nostril opposite the side of the attack, so cold air goes only up the affected side, it increases the effectiveness a bit.

Oxygen on the other hand, rocks! Wink

Glad you kicked the beasts arse this go round! Smiley
Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 7:13am

And going to the other extreme: several years ago we had a run from folks who got relief from blasting the site of the pain with a hair dryer (temple, etc.)!

Some use packs of frozen veggies (peas conform to our head well!) placed on temple, neck, etc.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 7:51am

Bob Johnson wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 7:13am:
And going to the other extreme: several years ago we had a run from folks who got relief from blasting the site of the pain with a hair dryer (temple, etc.)!

Some use packs of frozen veggies (peas conform to our head well!) placed on temple, neck, etc.

Showing, perhaps, that it's not the cold or the heat itself, but the deviation from the norm that more or less "distracts" our nervous system.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 12:57pm

Brew wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 7:51am:
[quote author=49646954416463657864650B0 link=1254673759/5#5 date=1254741224]

Showing, perhaps, that it's not the cold or the heat itself, but the deviation from the norm that more or less "distracts" our nervous system.

Thank you Brew!...sometimes I feel so clueless I wonder how I made it to 54. Been puzzling for years on why cold for some and hot for others???? It made no sense. That does!

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 2:27pm

jon019 wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 12:57pm:
Thank you Brew!...sometimes I feel so clueless I wonder how I made it to 54. Been puzzling for years on why cold for some and hot for others???? It made no sense. That does!

Jon

Like I said, Jon, perhaps. I'm just a boy from flyover country. Your guess is as good as mine.

IP Logged

McGee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 2:42am

I use frozen gel packs over my temple and eye. ive got three in the freezer. mostly i use them late evenings on the sofy watching a film with the wife. it allways causes my wife to ask " is sharon (the beast)there?" "no" i answer " im just chilling lmao"
mark (sooo a cool guy)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW mmcglinchey1  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 7:27pm

Brew-

Love your quote: 

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

--George Orwell

-Joni

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!