Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Uninformed Doctor (Read 1998 times)
LucyBee210
CH.com Junior

x0|Brooksville|USA||0|0|FL,Florida
My Uninformed Doctor
Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:17am

I ihave been suffering now with this cycle for about a month.  I went to my doctor the other day who is well aware of my Cluster Headache history.  I would have thought he would have at least read up something on the subject .. unfortunately he did not and it was like talking to a blank wall.  I told him my headaches strike at night - at 2 hr intervals and I told him I was experimenting with Melatonin and was now taking 12 mgs every night and it seemed to be working for now.  He got this puzzled look on his face and asked me what Melatonin was and where do I get it??  I was stunned!!  I talked about oxygen therapy and he told me there wasn't an insurance company in the US that would authorize oxygen for cluster headaches !!  I need to check this out !!  He told me to buy the oxygen and water drink.. Huh?  He said Tonic Water .. That will help he said.. OMG.. He then proceeded to write me an RX.. I told him I really wasn't interested in taking pills since they really aren't helpful once a headache hits, etc, etc... He continued writing one for Amiltriptyline (Elavil).. Said take one 10 mg. a pill before bed.. He said this will give me a good night's sleep... A 10 mg Elavil pill will most definitely NOT give me a good night's sleep with cluster headaches... He just doesn't have a clue and since I just found he has a capitated contract with my HMO and receives $600 a month for my care (whether I see him or not) that really ticks me off.. He's not there for me but yet he's making money off me every month... So......I am now looking for another PCP in Hernando County, FL ...

As I sit here typing this a headache is so desperately trying to break through.  I will tell you this ... cluster headaches are torture regardless of when you get them, but from my own experience the daytime hits are the absolute worst.  Don't know if it's the brightness or what but if I have to get them I would much prefer them at night..

Hope everyone has a wonderful day ..

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Re: My Uninformed Doctor
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:26am

Florida

Dr. Roberta Rose
Sebastian

Potter Priscilla
Miami

David Torrisi
Pensacola

Steven Wheeler
Miami

Steven Kobetz
Miami

Frank Wierichs
Venice

Michael L. Waters
Jacksonville

John F. Wilker

(Family Practice Associates)
St.Cloud

Dr. Todd Hartley
Maitland

Sam Synder
Ft Lauderdale

James L. Cimera
Ft. Lauderdale

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:28am

You're doing the right thing - finding a new doctor.

Unlike you, I'd rather get a good night's sleep and then be prepared to deal with them during the day, while I'm well rested.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

LucyBee210
CH.com Junior

x0|Brooksville|USA||0|0|FL,Florida
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:35am

Thanks Brew for the list.. None are that close to me but I'll check it out.. Of course there is always the problem of HMO's and out of network docs... Such a pain !! 

Thanks again ....

IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:38am

Vey much agree on the Doc, and my insurance does pickup for my O2.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:45am

Minor correction - it was seaworthy who posted the list.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:59am

I'm currently with Kaiser...historically one of the more tight fisted insurance people, and THEY cover the cost of my 02. When they see the comparison between 02 therapy vs. imitrex costs, they're much more inclined to go with 02.

Your current doc doesn't know a thing about CH. Staying with him is a recipe for pain. Find a doc knowledgeable in CH, or an open minded doc who will listen to and read what you bring them! Good lcuk.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 5:51pm

Your fabulously wealthy doctor is that uninformed about CH? Man that is just soooo....so....typical and par for the course unfortunately.

Glad you got a list now though of docs that might have a clue, and here's hoping you're able get with one of those incredibly rare knowledgeable MDs that according to legend may actually exist somewhere.  Shocked

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Weatherman
CH.com Veteran

Beat the Beast!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 1:00am

WOW!! I have seen so many similar stories here and I just can't believe so many doctors are so ignorant about CH and so damn stubborn about listening and learning!! I just don't get it!

I guess I have just been very lucky. I've had 2 doctors in the last 10 years...2 cities. Both regular doctors. Never seen a Neurologist. Never needed to. Both of them have been very open to listening to me and getting me whatever I wanted/needed. Both were so happy to see I wanted O2 and wasn't interested in pain drugs. I mean, doesn't that make sense?? Why would a doctor say no to that?? Ego? How does that help their ego? If I'm a doctor and I have a patient complaining of severe pain and all he wants is a tank of harmless gas that's cheaper than all the drugs, works better and has no side effects....it's a no brainer!! I'll never understand it. Is it because of their connections with the drug companies? Are they just dumb?
I've also been lucky with my insurance (United Healthcare). They have always covered my O2. The first time I requested O2 it took a couple days to get approval. The insurance company did a little research first then said yes. Never had a problem since.

Wow, sure sorry you and so many others have so much trouble with these amazingly unqualified doctors and ignorant insurance companies. I wish you much better luck in the VERY near future!

The point of the journey is not to arrive.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!