Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How Long Do You Continue Verapamil? (Read 3420 times)
Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

How Long Do You Continue Verapamil?
Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:23pm

Hi All-

Just wondering how long you continue the Verapamil after your headaches have stopped?  I appreciate your input!

Joni Undecided

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: How Long Do You Continue Verapamil?
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:55pm

Work with your doctor.....but it's basically a crap shoot. I use lithium as my prevent. My cycles always ran 2-3 months. So after I'd been on my prevent for 3 months, I'd slowly start to wean off....keeping 02 close by. If I got slammed I'd ramp back up to full doseage and wait another month. It doesn't "cure" your CH....just somehow works as a "block" against getting as many hits while you're on cycle.

I'm assuming from your question you are episodic.....you have months of pain free time between cycles of headaches. So it's pretty much a non-scientific guessing game. If you're chronic, you stay on it forever!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:27pm

Verapamil is not a drug that you can just "stop" taking it can have nasty side affects if you do.  You must wean yourself off of it and speak with your Doctor 1st!

I have never been able to stop taking it since I am chronic, but I do know that, you must wean yourself off of it.

Quote:
Do not stop taking this medication without first talking to your doctor. If you stop taking verapamil suddenly, your condition may become worse.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Verapamil is a preventative, so if you stop taking it, you may get more CH hits, if your not out of your cycle yet; if you are cyclical that is.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:48pm

I wait for a full 2 weeks with no hits then start to taper off.

IP Logged

ClusterChris
CH.com Old Timer

Damn Head!

Welland, Ontario
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 10:35pm

Funny, I specifically asked my doc about the taper when she prescribed it to me and she said I do not have to worry about that with Verapamil. I knew you had to with the prednisone.

Could also be that she put me on only 140mg a day dose or she doesnt have a clue what she is talking about.

Chris

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 12:37am

Wow....140 mg a day is a very low dose. Many start at 240mg a day, working to as high as 960 mg a day to get relief. But as you saw mentioned here repeatedly, go up or down on dosing ONLY with the help of your doc. Not a med to play fast and loose with.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 1:15am

Thank you so much for replying!  That gives me info and ideas for what to do.  I will also check with my doctor as well, but I wanted to hear it from you all first!  I think I'll go 2 weeks beyond my headaches, then taper as my doctor sees fit.  I did forget to tell you all that I am episodic....always 8 weeks once and sometimes twice a year so far, but I know in the back of my mind it could change.  Don't you sometimes wonder how in the world it can be that precise???  My sister's were always the same way until just recently and her's are shorter now, just like clock work!  She has had them for 46 years and I have had them for 25 years.  She has them and their side effects the worst I've ever heard of.  It's a good thing she worked for our father because she couldn't have kept another job.  I was lucky and taught school for 31 years...headaches in the night and school in the day! 

Thanks again!

Joni Smiley

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Aussie6330
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Western Australia
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 4:56am

As per my Doctors instruction (reading from the label on the prescription)
"cease when headaches have resolved for 1 to 2 weeks "
Been 10 days now but still get the sfternoon shadows so I'm a bit hesitant to stop.  I guess it's a matter of trying it ( fingers crossed) and hope to hell I dont get hit.

Hope this helps, but my advice would be to talk to the prescribing Doc.

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 12:23pm

My Doc told me that when its time to taper off, take one every other day, and go from there.

She also said its not so much the blood pressure that you have to worry about, but the heart rythyms going strange.  That we don't need!   good luck...let us know how it goes for you. Smiley

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 12:32pm

Thanks Lorac!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!