Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Verapamil info Please (Read 5306 times)
ClusterChris
CH.com Old Timer

Damn Head!

Welland, Ontario
Verapamil info Please
Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:14am

I just started verapamil for the first time, She prescribed me 120MG pills and said to take one a day.  From doing a little reading, isn't this a rediculously low dose?  I am perfectly healthy(other then the HA's) and thinking that this isn't going to offer me any good results. 
I know you guys are shy when it comes to giving people dosage suggestions so can you at least tell me the dosage you are taking.

Thanks
Chris

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: Verapamil info Please
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:29am

360-480mg is the break point for me. Below that, it doesn't help at all.

Allow about 10 days for it to work, after you and your doctor find the right dose for you.

Also for what it's worth, the regular release works FAR better for me than the extended or slow release versions.

Marc
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:30am by Marc »  

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:53am

Take this info to your Dr.  It worked much better for me than the sustained release formulation.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Titre du document / Document title
Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster Headache patients
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
BLAU Joseph N. (1) ; ENGEL Hans O. (1) ;
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
(1) City of London Migraine Clinic, ROYAUME-UNI

Résumé / Abstract
Background.-Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses-720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved. Objective.-To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly. Methods.-Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose For a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary. Results.-Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. Conclusions.-Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary.
Revue / Journal Title
Headache   ISSN 0017-8748   CODEN HEADAE 
Source / Source
2004, vol. 44, no10, pp. 1013-1018 [6 page(s) (article)] (15 ref.)
Langue / Language
Anglais

Editeur / Publisher
Blackwell, Malden, MA, ETATS-UNIS  (1961) (Revue)

Mots-clés anglais / English Keywords
Sulfonamide ; 5-HT1 Serotonine receptor ; Agonist ; Vascular disease ; Cardiovascular disease ; Calcium antagonist ; Neurological disorder ; Central nervous system disease ; Cerebral disorder ; Triptan derivatives ; Anticonvulsant ; Antimigrainous agent ; Pain ; Valproic acid ; Sumatriptan ; Cluster headache ; Chemotherapy ; Migraine ; Headache ; Chronic ; Human ; Cerebrovascular disease ; Verapamil ; Treatment ; Nervous system diseases ;
Mots-clés français / French Keywords
Sulfonamide ; Récepteur sérotoninergique 5-HT1 ; Agoniste ; Vaisseau sanguin pathologie ; Appareil circulatoire pathologie ; Antagoniste calcium ; Trouble neurologique ; Système nerveux central pathologie ; Encéphale pathologie ; Triptan dérivé ; Anticonvulsivant ; Antimigraineux ; Douleur ; Acide valproïque ; Sumatriptan ; Céphalée vasomotrice Horton ; Chimiothérapie ; Migraine ; Céphalée ; Chronique ; Homme ; Cérébrovasculaire pathologie ; Vérapamil ; Traitement ; Système nerveux pathologie ;
Mots-clés espagnols / Spanish Keywords
Sulfonamida ; Receptor serotoninérgico 5-HT1 ; Agonista ; Vaso sanguíneo patología ; Aparato circulatorio patología ; Antagonista calcio ; Trastorno neurológico ; Sistema nervosio central patología ; Encéfalo patología ; Triptán derivado ; Anticonvulsivante ; Agente antimigrañoso ; Dolor ; Acido valproico ; Sumatriptán ; Cefalea vasomotriz Horton ; Quimioterapia ; Jaqueca ; Cefalea ; Crónico ; Hombre ; Vaso sanguíneo encéfalo patología ; Verapamilo ; Tratamiento ; Sistema nervioso patología ;
Mots-clés d'auteur / Author Keywords
cluster headache ; treatment ; verapamil ;
Localisation / Location
INIST-CNRS, Cote INIST : 17409, 35400012129020.0090

Nº notice refdoc (ud4) : 16330982

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 11:35am

ClusterChris wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:14am:
I just started verapamil for the first time, She prescribed me 120MG pills and said to take one a day.

Just starting, this could be the beginning of a short time graduating to a higher dose.

But still... even if it is sustained/extended release, I believe that lasts 12 hours.  Taken once a day wouldn't seem to cover 'round the clock.  She may be thinking you only get them at night or something. Check with your pharmacist and ask the effective duration of the verap you have and then keep in touch with your doc with questions about this effectiveness, perhaps 120mg twice a day will be ok for starters.  Continue feedback with the doc because the dosage Marc mentioned is more in line with effective results starting.

And from the article Dennis gave:

Quote:
In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved.

IP Logged

ClusterChris
CH.com Old Timer

Damn Head!

Welland, Ontario
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 11:58am

Thanks for the info,

I realize it may be a little soon to up the dosage but I have been in cycle for 4 months now and don't want to waste time taking a small dose that would be ineffective right from the getgo.  I would prefer to at least start with a mediocre dose then to risk taking it for weeks for nothing.

Chris

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 12:18pm

Relate something similar to what you just posted to your doc.  Inquire if her intentions are for a graduating dosage and that at this point, 120 twice a day to accelerate slightly, getting you to 240mg/day.  Go from there to inquire of her further plans if ineffective.  Obviously a short talking time required.  Assess what she says and about needed abortives in the meantime or referral to a neuro.    

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 12:22pm

I tried around 640mg.  I have heard of people taking as high as 960mg.  I had an irregular heart beat caused by the verapamil and really low blood pressure so had to quit taking it.  You need to go slowly up because this effects your blood pressure and if you go up to fast you could have a sudden drop in your blood pressure and you would not want that to happen.  Patience is a virtue.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 12:36pm

At this point in your treatment, prednisone is sometimes given for starters to help while gradually ramping up verap.  Inquire.

IP Logged

Aussie6330
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Western Australia
Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 5:03am

Sorry to disagree with many of the above, but I am on Verapamil 160 daily. This was preceeded with Prednisone taper.  I am on my third week of Verapamil and have been relatively pain free for the last 10 days.  Cheesy
If I've learnt anything from this site, It's "what works for 1, does not necessarily work for all"  See how you go after 2 weeks and if no result I would recommend another appointment.

Hope this helps  Smiley

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 12:17pm

Aussie you are so right... I started out at 120mg, and when my bp was ok I went on to 120mg in the AM, and 120mg, in the PM...That worked good for a while, but then the bp was droping too much. So back to the 120 mg in the PM.   Now in my third month, and am getting by really well with only Half that! 60mg at night, and only having one managable hit per night.

So It must have taken some time to ramp up in me, and now am maintaining well at 60 mg.
    Knock on Wood  Undecided

Wishing every one pf days and nights     Smiley

IP Logged

MJ-bos
CH.com Newbie

x0|Boston|USA||0|0|MA,Massachusetts
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 12:00am

I've been on Verapamil 360mg SR for about 2 years. After initially starting at 240 and still having shadows, we upped it to 360 and I've been 99% under control.

Lately - nearly 2 years to the day from my initial diagnosis - I've started showing signs of a relapse. I've had to resort to Imitrix a few times over the last month and have had a nagging shadow headache off and on. Not a full-blown attack- but that funny "oh crap, it's coming" shadow headache that most of us know & fear.

I'm just wondering - before I see my neuro - if Verapamil does lose effectiveness over time? Is a 2-year remission better than I could have hoped for?

It does seem to worsen in the fall when the trees start dropping.

Peace,
Marc

"Life is a banquet...and most poor suckers are starving to death."

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:13am

Marc,

In my experience, Verapamil loses effectiveness over long periods of time - again, I'm speaking of my experience only.

I've been taking it for about 12 years, but I have to take a break from it, or start increasing the dosage. This occurs roughly every two to three years for me.

After a 30-60 day break, the magic returns full blast.

One more thing: I saw a huge improvement when I switched from SR to regular release, taken three times per day - really big difference.

Marc
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:16am by Marc »  

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 10:06am

720 to 1080

IP Logged

Emma_s
CH.com Junior

Wishing PF time for everyone
x

United Kingdom
Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 10:15am

I have recently been given Verapamil - 40mg three times a day.

The reason for this was so I could try this for a couple of weeks and then have an ECH to make sure everything is going okay in my body regarding blood pressure and my heart and then the dose with be doubled if all is okay and then the same process starts again, waiting for a couple of weeks and waiting. I assume (and hope!) that I get to a certain daily dose which will give me some relief  Smiley

Hope the medication helps you - wishing you PFDAN  Smiley

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 12:47pm

Marc wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:13am:
Marc,

In my experience, Verapamil loses effectiveness over long periods of time - again, I'm speaking of my experience only.

I've been taking it for about 12 years, but I have to take a break from it, or start increasing the dosage. This occurs roughly every two to three years for me.

After a 30-60 day break, the magic returns full blast.

One more thing: I saw a huge improvement when I switched from SR to regular release, taken three times per day - really big difference.

Marc

Sounds like me!

In high cycle 720-960 mg/dy divided doses. In low(er) cycle 120-480mg. I try to sneak in a break every once in a while...it's a gamble.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

ClusterChris
CH.com Old Timer

Damn Head!

Welland, Ontario
Reply #15 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 2:15pm

just thought I'd give ya an update

After four days of taking 3-120mg pills a day I have been PF for 4 days other then 1 small shadow last night just before bed. Pretty sure the verap has sent the beast packing for a while.(fingers crossed)

I noticed there is a "Do not consume Alcohol" sticker on my pill bottle, Has anyone had any problems with a having a beer or six  Wink while taking verap??   Thanks

Chris

IP Logged

tylerb
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 7:43pm

I just went from 120 to 240 today.  I'm worried about the constipation.  In my last cycle, two years ago, I was very constipated.  I remember trying colace a couple times a day and that definitely didn't work.  Any suggestions??

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #17 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:07pm

tylerb wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 7:43pm:
I just went from 120 to 240 today.  I'm worried about the constipation.  In my last cycle, two years ago, I was very constipated.  I remember trying colace a couple times a day and that definitely didn't work.  Any suggestions??

I am on 960 mg Verap daily.  I take Psyllium Seed Husk (Fiber Supplement Capsules) to ward off or combat the constipation that verap is sure to bring.  It works rather well~  You can also try Flax seed capsules.  Any fiber supplement should work.  You just have to try to adjust the amount you take till it works for you!!  Wink

Val

val2651  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #18 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:29pm

An occasional problem for me too. I find that drinking LOTS of water, magnesium caps (250-1000 mg/dy), and a high fiber diet work WONDERS. Adjustments may be necessary Roll Eyes

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #19 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 7:51pm

jon019 wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:29pm:

An occasional problem for me too. I find that drinking LOTS of water, magnesium caps (250-1000 mg/dy), and a high fiber diet work WONDERS. Adjustments may be necessary Roll Eyes

Best,

Jon

Good advice Jon.

I suffer with IBS so Verapamil actually helps me out in that department.  There was an initial adjustment period that lasted about a month where my bowel figured out how to deal with concrete  Wink

Water-water-water, lots of fiber and some Miralax can't hurt.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #20 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 8:28pm

I agree with the Miralax!  Our doctors like it better than any other Rx for constipation.  Our gastro docs say it is safe to take for long periods of time.  They like it best and so do we.  No bloating, gas, etc. like with other meds.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

BudO
CH.com Newbie

I have to grow old but
I do not have to grow
UP

Cle Elum, WA
Reply #21 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 9:55pm

I'm at 120mg daily and double that dosage when I am in a CH cycle.

I have the "uptodate.com" physician's paper on CH and for Verapamil it indicates that required dosages vary greatly for individual sufferers and should be started low and increased until the desired results are found. Great concern is expressed about the potential side effects from dosages above 480mg daily and frequent ECGs are recommended at such dosages.

WWW bud0121  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #22 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:05pm

120mg/day sustained release is a good starting point.  It works differently for every person, and over the years Verapamil tends to need dosage increases.  If you see relief at 120mg on one daily pill that is awesome.  No need to take more than you need or to take 3+ pills per day compared to 1.  Try it out and see.  I started at 120mg per day and then 240.  Sometimes 240mg/day in 1 pill works for me, and when it doesnt the immediate release of 4 pilles (320mg/day total) eventually does.  You'll have to try it out and keep checking with your doctor.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

x0|staten island|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #23 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 12:59pm

My two cents!  Used verapamil for many years, as high as 960-1200 mg.  This was the only dosage that would help me.  Ended up with cardiac arythmia and extremely low blood pressure so I had to stop.  Went to hospital for standard pre testing on a kidney stone issue and the ekg turned up the arythmia.  Thankfully, I knew of this possibilty and actually had the docs reading the info in my briefcase.  They were ready to admit me.  Be careful and monitor your pulse and pressure. 
Or do what I did and try "alternative" methods.

IP Logged

ellenjoanne
CH.com Junior

Greenfield, WI
Reply #24 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 8:21pm

I started at 240mg, once a day 4 years ago.  In April 2006, I went to 360 mg/day, when I had my first springtime CH cycle.   In Feb. 2008 during a particularly nasty cycle, I was put on 480 mg/day.  360 wasn't quite cutting it for me anymore.  As my neuro told me, as would be the case for many other meds, I was probably building up a tolerance to 360/day.  At the present time, I'm still at 480 mg/day.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!