Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forensic tests on conkers (Read 2102 times)
cavalier
Ex Member

Forensic tests on conkers
Sep 27th, 2009 at 7:13pm

The conker season is upon us
If your interested, the tournament in Somerset due October 2nd.

Couple of things before you get too excited; there have been new measures to ensure fairness.
Judges will collect all conkers before competition and send them for forensic testing and if they pass will be marked with a fluorescent pen.
It seems in the past unscrupulous contestants have used ploys as reinforcing the shells with glue or even concrete.
This has begun a plan to chemically test each conker.
Al entrants will be frisked with on the spot checks and will receive a life time ban if caught.
Anyway this is where I thought “money to be made out of this”

Shhhh no one mentioned the string.

The normal knot at the end of the shoe lace gives an impact ratio of around 10%
If you add a tap washer to the knot you will receive a yield of 25% thus increasing your odds by 15%
A tap washer is small enough to conceal in your underwear without being detected by the frisk.
“It’s just a mole govner”

Tried to get our local Cosa Nostra involved and after I escaped with my knees intact, thought “your loss”

Maybe conkering should be left to the innocents as it’s always been “without rules.”

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Re: Forensic tests on conkers
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 8:02pm

Like bird watching.

Lawn bowling.

Not cricket! Smiley

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:13am

Vinegar is King Arthur's armour, but they are starting to test for it.

It's too competitive - people should only compete with their family and friends, and anyone caught cheating fortifying should be banished from the village.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 1:48pm

Ummmm..........uhhhh....um.....errrr......uhhhhh.......

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 1:56pm

What Mellissa said.... Undecided Grin

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 2:35pm

What camp are you in, Cav?
Are you a hardener or a purist?

Rock beats Scissors.

IP Logged

cavalier
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:18pm

Purist i'm afraid

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 11:20am

My husband tells me that soaking them in vinegar is the best way to harden them. Not that you'd be happy about that of course Cav... Wink

Apparently conkers will keep spiders out of a room as they don't like the smell (for the arachnophobes out there!).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 12:44pm

Em wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 11:20am:

Apparently conkers will keep spiders out of a room as they don't like the smell (for the arachnophobes out there!).

How do I get hold of some "conkers"??  This sounds like something I need to put downstairs in Lily's bedroom, lol.

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 1:03pm

OK, I finally got the time (and inclination) to find out what the hell conkers are:
Quote:
Conkers is a game traditionally played by children in Britain, Ireland and some former British colonies using the seeds of horse-chestnut trees – the name conker is also applied to the seed and to the tree itself. The game is played by two players, each with a conker threaded onto a piece of string: they take turns to strike each other's conker until one breaks.

And as for the hardening issue:
Quote:
The hardest conkers usually win. Hardening conkers is often done by keeping them for a year (called laggies in many areas or seasoners in Ireland and Liverpool), baking them briefly, soaking or boiling in vinegar, or painting with clear nail varnish.

Such hardening is however usually regarded as cheating. At the British Junior Conkers Championships on the Isle of Wight in October 2005, contestants were banned from bringing their own conkers due to fears that they might harden them. The Campaign For Real Conkers claimed this was an example of over-regulation which was causing a drop in interest in the game. In the World Conker Championship contestants are also restricted to using the conkers provided.
(Above quotes thanks to Wikipedia)

NOW I understand all the comments ...

Wonders-no-more-Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 2:46pm

Hitler was lucky he never got across the Channel. These are strange people, Chuck. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Charlie  Cool

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 2:46pm

Too bad it is strictly prohibited in the US ... something about kids losing an eye and lawsuits and such. But there is a conkers group at my fight club.

I personally think it was invented as a ploy by farmers to trick kids into harvesting the chestnuts. Ok, sonny boy, here are the best 20 nut that I picked out for you to use in competition .... lets puts the other 200 pounds into the barn to 'season' for later.  They get better with time, unless the conkerrobbers get them.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009 at 2:48pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #12 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 2:52pm

Really Monty....It's surprising we didn't kill one another, we had horse chestnut fights all the time it seems.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 1:19pm

monty wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 2:46pm:
Too bad it is strictly prohibited in the US ... something about kids losing an eye and lawsuits and such. But there is a conkers group at my fight club.

I personally think it was invented as a ploy by farmers to trick kids into harvesting the chestnuts. Ok, sonny boy, here are the best 20 nut that I picked out for you to use in competition .... lets puts the other 200 pounds into the barn to 'season' for later.  They get better with time, unless the conkerrobbers get them.

Show me the law that says conkers is strictly prohibited in the U.S.

Potter

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 5:49pm

Potter wrote on Sep 30th, 2009 at 1:19pm:
Show me the law that says conkers is strictly prohibited in the U.S.

Sure - as soon as you show me anything I have said in this thread that should be taken seriously.  I can't has the fun & the sarcasm?? Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2009 at 5:52pm by monty »  

IP Logged

KingOfPain
CH.com Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

North America
Reply #15 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 6:08am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

In America, the game currently has no official status or competitions. Its popularity has surely declined, but it is not thought to be an extinct game.
It was played during the late 1940s and early 1950s in New York in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, and in the 1950s and early 1960s in the Amalgamated section of the Bronx and a winning chestnut was referred to as a "killer". Also, was played in Mohawk Valley area of upstate New York into the 1970s. It was being played in the 1960s in Rhode Island [4] and into the early 1980s in Smithfield, RI.

4. ^ Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Arrived August, 1999.
We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter. - Denis Diderot
Thanks for the ignore function! Wink

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #16 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 4:11pm

I lived in the upstate NY Mohawk Valley (Utica) for 4 years for 1968-1972. My girlfriend's lunatic family was very British and lived near farms in Oneida County. No one ever mentioned conkers or the like but then I was even more in the dark I am now. I'd like to have a couple of those years back. God I could waste time....

Charlie

IP Logged

cavalier
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 5:42pm

Far from being a purist on this subject,
I’ll have to say in my shameful youth, yes!! I did doctor the odd conker.
The favourite rouse was to carefully (with the aid of a scriber) scrape out the innards through the lace hole and replace with car body plastic padding.
Now as you car body filling hobbyists know this is pretty tuff especially in a ball.
The other thing going for it was colour.
If the shell was to break, as was quite normal the colour of the plastic padding was pretty convincing.
My word did I give them a few bruised knuckles.
It certainly beats soaking in vinegar, shoving in the oven or waiting for a year.
Since the interest in the topic, had a root around the cellar and found a string of really matured conkers.
Anyone fancy a game????????

IP Logged

Happy Pappy
CH.com Sponsor

Finer than frogs hair!

Ft Loudon, PA
Reply #18 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 9:09am

Me think someone has too much time on their hands!!? Huh

We will all go to HEAVEN we have been to HELL! -(Personal Quote)  They say this will only make me stronger but I did not ask to be SUPERMAN

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #19 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 9:34am

I suppose Kilt wearing is allowed ???   Cheesy Grin

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #20 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 11:40am

JustNotRight wrote on Oct 4th, 2009 at 9:34am:
I suppose Kilt wearing is allowed ???   Cheesy Grin

Only north of Hadrian's Wall.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!