Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sumatriptan (Imitrex) - no effect at all (Read 1563 times)
NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Sumatriptan (Imitrex) - no effect at all
Sep 23rd, 2009 at 8:26am

I got some Sumatriptan from the doc thinking, it must work, everyone on here swears by it.
But it doesn't touch my pain at all, is this 'normal'?

NSAIDs, especially Naproxen, seem to reduce it a bit, so it's back to them, I suppose.

Neil

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Re: Sumatriptan (Imitrex) - no effect at all
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 8:38am

have you tried Zomig?

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 8:40am

I have never heard of imitrex not being at least marginally effective for CH.

Do you have a CH diagnosis?

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 9:18am

Imitrex injections or tablets?

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 9:20am

That is very unusual. Generally, the Triptan class of medications work far better than NSAID's for Cluster Headaches. NSAID's can be quite effective for some other types of headaches, but almost useless against Cluster Headaches.

Marc

IP Logged

NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 9:43am

Thanks for the replies...

lorac : No, I haven't tried Zomig, but I have tried Maxalt, another triptan, and it was similarly ineffective.

seaworthy : Yes, I am diagnosed with CH – seen 2 neurologists.  But yes, I am surprised (and disappointed) how ineffective the Sumatriptan is.  I’m seeing the neuro again in November, he may be interested that Sumatriptan didn’t work.  Verapamil does help though.

gizmo : Tablets.

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 10:17am

Talk to your neuro about getting the injections.  The pills are far to slow to combat CH.  Best of luck.

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 10:37am

What Malcolm said and also make sure to get Oxygen prescribed.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 12:16pm

NeilB wrote on Sep 23rd, 2009 at 9:43am:
Tablets.

Tablets. There's your problem.

The fact that you're here asking questions is a good sign, because you do have to take matters into your own hands if you want to deal with this condition effectively.

Doctors routinely prescribe ineffective stuff, so it's necessary to go in there having done your research and let the doctor know what you really need.

Fortunately you came to the right place to find out what actually works. Here are a couple links for starters:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

For an abortive the Imitrex pills are a joke, you need the injections, and non - rebreather mask high LPM O2 should probably be your first abortive to use, with the imitrex handy as a backup just in case.

As far as a neurologist who prescribes imitrex pills for CH is concerned - I suggest from now on you trust him. As far as you can throw him. Might wanna try another doctor, and not wait til November.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2009 at 12:25pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 11:01pm

NeilB wrote on Sep 23rd, 2009 at 8:26am:
But it doesn't touch my pain at all, is this 'normal'?

NSAIDs, especially Naproxen, seem to reduce it a bit, so it's back to them, I suppose.

Neil

Hi Niel.
Never tried the tablets.
Sumatriptan (immitrex) injections did nothing for me either.  They dont work for everyone.

However the naproxen, (wich I am a believer in for some of the CH side symptoms), may be a greater benefit in combination with the tablets as it is now being combined for those who have poor results with sumatriptan. be carefull.

MJ

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:49am

You should read this post by Batch.

It may explain why you have CH, and trex ain't cutting it.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 7:14am

Thanks MJ and Pixie-elf, both interesting reads.

N

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!