Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Antihistimine Use Helpful? (Read 1234 times)
Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Is Antihistimine Use Helpful?
Sep 22nd, 2009 at 7:06pm

Hi All-
Hope I'm catching you in a pain free moment.  I don't seem to know a clear answer about the use of antihistamines in cluster headache patients.  Are they any help?  Is this a standard procedure for everyone that I have missed?

Joni Smiley

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Re: Is Antihistimine Use Helpful?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 10:52pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Aussie6330
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Western Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 5:23am

Sorry to see you here Joni,
I hve had limited success with Phenergan.  1 an hour before the expected attack and 1 when I expect the attack.  As I say.....limited success, but success none-the-less.  Have had better results with a Prednisone taper followed by Verapamil.
Hope this helps.  Wishing you PFDANS

Arch

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 11:44am

Thanks Arch.  I guess i should have clarified my question.  What I had in mind was...Does taking a 24 hour antihistamine daily help in any way with clusters?

Thanks!!!
Joni

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

lionsound
CH.com Alumnus

breathe

x1||USA|usa|522|64|ME,Maine
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 8:52am

I am not a doc, so check with yours..

Here's my opinion:
I am recently on a low dose 24 hour antihistamine for unexplained itchy hands (ugh..drives me crazy). I still get my clusters.

For years I was told I had allergies not CH. And so I went untreated. I took daily antihistamines and my head still hurt.
Clusters and allergies are two separate things.
If you have allergies that trigger clusters then the daily antihistamine might help to keep your stuffy head from triggering you.

I have used Phenergan, combined with other meds for CH in ER situations. It is a VERY STRONG hospital strength medication and the dose that helps will knock you on your arse.

be well Smiley
Rori

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 9:24am

Thanks Rori!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!