Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any info on these? (Read 1149 times)
BrianR
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Any info on these?
Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:22pm

Hello- I just came home from the neurologist and he gave prescriptions for Verapamil and Amerge. Can someone tell if they have ever tried these and if they worked for them? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brian

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Re: Any info on these?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:25pm

A lot on here use Verapamil and have a lot of succes as a preventive.  Never heard of Amerge though.  I'm sure your doc told you about all side effects of each of those drugs?  Do a search on here about Verapamil.  There are tons of threads talking about it. 

Best of luck!

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

BrianR
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:39pm

Thanks Chad

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 3:15pm

Amerge is one of several "Triptan" group of drugs including:

Imitrex, Frova, Zomig, Relpax, Maxalt and Axert

It takes too long to be a great front line abortive, but once it kicks in, I can be assured of several pain free hours. If I really, really need a full night's sleep, Amerge is easily my favorite to give it to me.

If you ad oxygen as an immediate abortive, you are really on the right track with a pretty classic approach to managing Cluster Headaches.

DO look into oxygen!
Marc
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2009 at 3:53pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Aussie6330
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Western Australia
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 5:27am

Like you my friend I too take Verapamil, preceeded with a Prednisone taper.  It has worked wonders for me with little or no side effects apart from slight tremors in the hands from time to time, ( cant paint my wifes nails anymore  Angry ) and a slight feeling of "outer body experience in the early stages but fine now.  Have been on Verapamil for 3 weeks now @ 160mg daily and as I type, have been pain free for the last 10   Cheesy  Having said that......I still have my trusty O2 on standby.

Hope you find success my friend.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 7:21am

Like Marc said, Amerge is a triptan like Imitrex but it's half-life is double that of trex so it stays effective longer.  At the first sign of a hit, taking half a tab of Amerge and jumping on the O2 worked well for me in past cycles.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!