Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Whacky question (Read 4260 times)
seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Whacky question
Sep 21st, 2009 at 7:14pm

But what better place to ask it?

Is the liquid imitrex in the inhalers the same as the liquid imitrex in the vials?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Whacky question
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 9:21pm

I think the difference in the actual amount of sumatriptan in the different applications is because of the way it gets absorbed into the system. It's the same drug in all three forms (injectable, inhaled, and oral).

Not sure what the difference is in the other things included in each of the three forms.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 9:32pm

Same Drug different absorption methods and dosages as Brew said.  Slowest absorption is the pill, after that is the nasal and the fastest of course is the shot.

I don't recommend injecting the nasal Imitrex though or chopping up pills and snorting them or any other non prescribed form of taking the Imitrex.  Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 9:52pm

thats what I was getting at. Can the imitrex in the inhaler be drawn out for injection?

The inhaler indicates 20 mg. A vial is 6 mg.

Can the inhaler contents be broken down into 3 parts for injection?

For me that would equal 6 injections a I only use 3 mg at a time.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 10:02pm

seaworthy wrote on Sep 21st, 2009 at 9:52pm:
Can the inhaler contents be broken down into 3 parts for injection?

Now THATS working the system!

I would be concerned that it could be a different formulation or something?? Hmmm come to think of it though, probably not?

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 10:11pm

Quote:
I would be concerned that it could be a different formulation or something??

Thats my only concern. This idea is really no crazier than when the imitrex tip of breaking down the auto injector EXCEPT for the question of formular.

I may be a guinee pig. If you never see another post from me again then the answer is "no you cant do it".  Undecided

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 10:29pm

Can I have your dog?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 10:34pm

You can have this whiney ass mutt one way or the other.

I'll Fedex him to you tomorrow

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 10:50pm

Grin

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 11:03pm

I think I'll wait for a little more input on this.

The imitrex I mean.

Your getting the dog.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 12:27am

There probably is something somewhere online wouldntcha think that lists exactly what is contained in both the injection and the spray?

Wish I didn't have to bail right now or I'd attempt a search for it myself.

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:37am

Came back, went hunting, found this at /Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register:

IMITREX Injection
is a clear, colorless to pale yellow, sterile, nonpyrogenic solution for
subcutaneous injection. Each 0.5 mL of IMITREX Injection 8 mg/mL solution contains 4 mg of
sumatriptan (base) as the succinate salt and 3.8 mg of sodium chloride, USP in Water for
Injection, USP. Each 0.5 mL of IMITREX Injection 12 mg/mL solution contains 6 mg of
sumatriptan (base) as the succinate salt and 3.5 mg of sodium chloride, USP in Water for
Injection, USP. The pH range of both solutions is approximately 4.2 to 5.3. The osmolality of
both injections is 291 mOsmol. 

-------------

The empirical formula is C14H21N3O2S, representing a molecular weight of 295.4.
Sumatriptan is a white to off-white powder that is readily soluble in water and in saline. Each
IMITREX Nasal Spray
contains 5 or 20 mg of sumatriptan in a 100-μL unit dose aqueous
buffered solution containing monobasic potassium phosphate NF, anhydrous dibasic sodium
phosphate USP, sulfuric acid NF, sodium hydroxide NF, and purified water USP. The pH of the
solution is approximately 5.5. The osmolality of the solution is 372 or 742 mOsmol for the 5-
and 20-mg IMITREX Nasal Spray, respectively.

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:52am

After reading the above, I don't think I'd try it.....but that's just me.....I like living.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Martin
CH.com Veteran

Ready for anything this
world can dish!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 9:30am

It does say the powder solution is readily dissolved in water or salt.... and the injection is just the crystal form of the triptan dissolved in salt water.

But really, I took 1 year of chemistry so please ASK A DOCTOR before doing this.  I'd look up to see if injecting the buffered solution would have any negative effects, or if those other additives in the spray would be harmful if injected if you are really keen on accomplishing this.  I understand the need, in the midsts of a hit I've thought about snorting some ground up pills before to make the damn thigns work faster.

I hear 02 works wonders. maybe we should both look into that

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:14pm

02 doesn't work well for me and I'm not "keen" on doing this.

I'm desperate.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 5:20pm

Did some hunting around for you Seaworthy and here is what I found...

Quote:
Full Question:

Can you inject the nasal spray with a syringe and needle or even through an IV?

The spray is so harsh to my throat. I would rather give myself a shot of this stuff than sniff it.

Thanks or any input, William.

Answer:

Dear William;

You didn't specify what medication. Since you tagged your question "Migraine Abortives," it must be Zomig Nasal Spray, Imitrex Nasal Spray, or Migranal Nasal Spray. Whichever it is, the answer is no. Nasal sprays are specifically formulated for nasal delivery and should not be injected.

If you want to try injectable abortives, ask your doctor about Imitrex Nasal spray if you're using Imitrex or Zomig Nasal Spray. If you're using Migranal Nasal Spray, ask about DHE 45 injections. That's the same medication as Migranal, in nasal spray form. These would be injected under the skin. You should never attempt IV injections yourself.

Good luck,
John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I wouldn't try it given this and the ingredients list beejeeber supplied.

M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:46pm

Please do not put the nose spray in an needle for injection into the body.  It contains ingredients that are not in the injectable form.  It is not intended for that use.

Joni   Smiley

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:49pm

Can't you just use the inhaler as intended? Or were you trying to extend the small amount you have?

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 7:10pm

Extend a dwindling supply and hasten relief.

Given the info provided in this thread it doesn't appear to be a good idea.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 8:51pm

That would be a good conclusion Seaworthy.

Talk to your Neuro he may have samples of different dosages of Imitrex or another option for you.

M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #20 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 8:54pm

I just got generic imitrex injections and they are 4mg injections.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #21 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 9:06pm

Seaworthy,
I understand your frustration.  I spend all too much money on imitrex.  My insurance covers 10 shots a month. As a chronic, the least I use in a month is 25. Oxygen works about 50% of the time but it is not always a viable option at work and has never worked on my wake me up from sleep hits. When I read your post I thought " shit, why didn't I think of that?", but based on all the posts, not sure it's a great idea.  Still bouncing the idea around though,  it would ease the financial burden.

Regards,
Malcom 

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #22 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 9:25pm

Joni wrote on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 8:54pm:
I just got generic imitrex injections and they are 4mg injections.

They do have the 6mg injections in the generic as well, that is what I take.

MPMIII You must have better ins. than I do.  Lucky duck!  Chronic here too and ins only allows me 4 shots per mo. even though my Neuro writes the script for more, the bastages!!!   Angry

M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #23 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 9:53pm

Quote:
Talk to your Neuro he may have samples of different dosages of Imitrex or another option for you.

I already use the highest dosage and other options are not an option.

IP Logged

Lottie
CH.com Veteran

Reply #24 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 5:47pm

Good that you're 'thinking outside the box' to help your CH. That's what desperation forces you to do I think.  Cry

But I'm glad you didn't just try it before looking into it! For most remedy/treatment adjustments I think it's always wise to check with your doc, especially when you're 'experimenting' with medication!

As I read somewhere on this site a while ago: CH doesn't kill you, but wrong/inproper use of medication can!

I think that's a wise statement, and it's good to keep that in mind.

PFDAN,

Lottie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!