Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 and driving safety (Read 1296 times)
kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

O2 and driving safety
Sep 20th, 2009 at 10:42am

I am going to get my O2 tomorrow and am planning on trying to get a small tank for the car, but am worried about teh potential danger of driving around with such flammable stuff.
Do any of you bring it with you in the car? If so, how do you secure it?

IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Re: O2 and driving safety
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 1:10pm

Well, oxygen is not flammable but promotes rapid combustion.
Fix it safely.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW itotka  
IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 1:27pm

I'm more worried about that big tank of flammable petrol on the bottom of my car... Cheesy

Lefty..!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 11:00pm

O2 is not a bomb. If you google it you will see it is a "nonflammable gas".

A quote from my O2 "patient instructions" handbook. "Oxygen is very safe to use when you create the proper environment. Oxygen will not explode or burn, but it will increase the flammability of objects near the concentrated O2, it will also cause anything that is burning to burn hotter & faster."

Never smoke near O2 in use. One of the biggest dangers for O2 users is, if your clothing becomes saturated with O2 a small spark can create a fire. So smoking must be delayed long enough for this danger to pass.

I've had many years in aviation with training in the dangers of O2, but don't take my word for it. If your O2 supplier doesn't give you the info, research it yourself.

Don

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2009 at 11:01pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 12:01am

The tank should remain vertical and must be secured according to DOT.  The biggest danger with O2 in a vehicle is having an accident and getting the top knocked off.  It will go off like a rocket if that happens, and will cause quite a bit of damage.  If it is vertical it will go down rather than which ever direction the bottom of the tank is pointed.  If vertical and secured it is safe to carry in a vehicle.  An E tank in a cart should be secure enough.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 12:54am

Jerry,

You are a wonderful man......

Love you brother,
Don
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2009 at 12:54am by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 12:30pm

I have cargo netting built into the trunk of my car and attached to the floor of my wife's SUV.  I just make sure the the e-tank is secured in the netting.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 12:33pm

i had tanks secured in the sleeper of my truck with rubber straps. (old flatbedder trick) i smoke 2 packs a day and never had any problems. keep in mind though things that don't normally catch on fire easily, will when saturated with o2 like a seat or your sweat shirt. jerry is absolutely right about the pressure.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!