Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
American Healthcare debate... (Read 16163 times)
Buzz
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Re: American Healthcare debate...
Reply #25 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:16pm

Brew wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 2:45pm:
Charlie wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 2:38pm:
There has to be a reason why the other western countries in the world decided to adopt some kind of health care.

Because the people of those countries allowed their governments to get away with another power grab. Many people today have no clue what their personal liberty means, so they sacrifice it for so-called security all the time.

The yearning to be truly free burns in the hearts of very few anymore.

Good heavens!  Having access to healthcare is a sacrifice of my liberty? Being able to order O2 to alleviate a condition that restricts my life is a sacrifice of my liberty?

...or on the other side of the coin, having no way of paying for medication whilst others can IS liberty?

If you are so hung up about liberty and the erosion of it, Brew, please re-read the list of said erosions in the first post of this thread. That's really where your liberty's going.

My view is this: Governments are owned by the population in general; from the richest to the poorest, the youngest to the oldest. We are all stakeholders. Private enterprise is owned by far fewer people and therefore controlled by the  interests of those fewer people. Great if you're one of them, not so great if you ain't. It surely makes sense therefore, that a democracy of Free Americans must make their government responsible for its their wellbeing. The alternative is to allow private enterprise (the wealthy few) to make decisions outside of your control. Not much liberty there!

The cure is out there somewhere...
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #26 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:29pm

Many people today have no clue what their personal liberty means, so they sacrifice it for so-called security all the time.

That made a lot of controversial news here this first decade.

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #27 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:39pm

Quote:

Thanks for posting that Kev. It's great being so free.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #28 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:44pm

Buzz wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:16pm:
Good heavens!  Having access to healthcare is a sacrifice of my liberty? Being able to order O2 to alleviate a condition that restricts my life is a sacrifice of my liberty?

Giving the government the power to make critical decisions about your health care IS a sacrifice of your liberty.

I don't expect you to get it. When you start from a point of not having much liberty in the first place, your point of reference is a bit skewed.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #29 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:46pm

Kevin_M wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:29pm:
Many people today have no clue what their personal liberty means, so they sacrifice it for so-called security all the time.

Huh? This first decade of what? The 21st Century, or the first decade of this country's existence.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #30 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:48pm

Oh, yeah. Forgot to add: Everything is Bush's fault (even Kanye West). Everything will be his fault until everyone who lived during the time that he lived is dead. Then add 80 years.

Just wanted to get that out of the way. I concede.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:57pm

Virtually all Americans want lower cost, high quality health care with choices.

That isn't being debated.

A well thought out plan that would actually reduce overall total costs would be overwhelmingly accepted.

Spreading the same total cost over more people via higher taxes is not the same as actually reducing overall cost.

I have seen nothing in the current set of proposals that would actually reduce overall health care costs.

I have yet to see a Government program of any kind, run efficiently. They are ALL going broke at an alarming rate.

The GAO agrees with me.

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #32 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:09pm

There has to be a reason why the other western countries in the world decided to adopt some kind of health care.

Because the people of those countries allowed their governments to get away with another power grab. Many people today have no clue what their personal liberty means, so they sacrifice it for so-called security all the time.

...or on the other side of the coin, having no way of paying for medication whilst others can IS liberty?

a democracy of Free Americans must make their government responsible for its their wellbeing. The alternative is to allow private enterprise (the wealthy few) to make decisions outside of your control. Not much liberty there!

It's astonishing how much you don't 'get it'.  Like Brew said, it's difficult to discuss liberty when you are coming from the perspective that governmental control IS liberty while private enterprise is NOT liberty.

Us Americans have access to whatever we want.  We have access to medical service.  We can call an O2 supplier and purchase oxygen.  You seem to think we are unable to do that.....but yes, when we receive service, we are asked to pay for it. 
I went out to dinner last night and after I was finished, the waiter asked me to pay for it.  Does this mean my personal freedom has been comprimised? 

Quote:

Yes!!  Thats the definition of liberty!  I'm glad you are beginning to understand.  You are free to do as you wish.  You reap what you sow. 

I work hard for what I have.  My neighbor sleeps til noon and then parties til midnight.  We are both enjoying our personal freedom.  The fact that I can pay for medical service and he is unable to pay IS, IN FACT, LIBERTY.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #33 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:12pm

Brew wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 3:46pm:
Huh? This first decade of what?

Quote:
here this first decade.

IP Logged

loopy
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:19pm

Kevin_M wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:12pm:

Quote:
here this first decade.

That really clears it up.   Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #35 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:22pm

Kevin_M wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:12pm:

Quote:
here this first decade.

Still totally not understanding, Kevin.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #36 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:23pm

Loopy wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:19pm:
That really clears it up.

Do you need it clearer?

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #37 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:26pm

If I were to refer to this year, or this century, would it be totally perplexing?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #38 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:27pm

Nevermind, man.

IP Logged

Buzz
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #39 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:32pm

BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:09pm:

a democracy of Free Americans must make their government responsible for its their wellbeing. The alternative is to allow private enterprise (the wealthy few) to make decisions outside of your control. Not much liberty there!

It's astonishing how much you don't 'get it'.  Like Brew said, it's difficult to discuss liberty when you are coming from the perspective that governmental control IS liberty while private enterprise is NOT liberty.

Us Americans have access to whatever we want.  We have access to medical service.  We can call an O2 supplier and purchase oxygen.  You seem to think we are unable to do that.....but yes, when we receive service, we are asked to pay for it. 
I went out to dinner last night and after I was finished, the waiter asked me to pay for it.  Does this mean my personal freedom has been comprimised? 

Quote:

Yes!!  Thats the definition of liberty!  I'm glad you are beginning to understand.  You are free to do as you wish.  You reap what you sow. 

I work hard for what I have.  My neighbor sleeps til noon and then parties til midnight.  We are both enjoying our personal freedom.  The fact that I can pay for medical service and he is unable to pay IS, IN FACT, LIBERTY.

Ah! so you are saying that your democracy is not a liberty?  That your government is imposed and not yours as a citizen to guide and drive?  That you would eschew your inviolable democratic right, as enshrined in your constitution, in favour of the whims of a private enterprise scheme?

If you can't trust your government, vote in a new one and keep doing so until your politicians learn to toe the line. That is freedom, that is liberty. Allowing private enterprise to run roughshod over your democracy is not freedom.

And please, when I say "Free healthcare" I do not mean that no one pays. What I mean is that it is accessible to all so that those who need it get it. Its only fair and logical that everyone contributes a little of their income to make something that would be a national asset, something for Americans to be proud of where each and every person is a stakeholder. I'm not talking of taking away choice, or depriving the entrepreneurial etc. but not everyone can be a Vice President of a big company, able to afford private health care. America like every other country has lots and lots of medium and low-paid workers.  I bet most would love to access the health care they need rather than the health care they can afford.

Again, I reiterate, my interest in this subject is driven out of empathy for fellow CH sufferers. I love a good debate too and am interested in understanding the totality of the whole Healthcare issue.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

loopy
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:41pm

What we need is more Europeans telling us how our government should work or how mean we all are because we don't want their system over here.

Brew could not possibly be more correct.  When the government decides who gets what, it is not Liberty.  Sadly, we have given up a lot of Liberty in the name of compassion for our fellow countrymen, but that doesn't make it right or good.  In fact, on the course that this president is on, we will give up more freedoms than under any other administration.  But don't you dare say anything against his policies, because you know, that's racist.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #41 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:47pm

Loopy wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:41pm:
this president

Clear enough, which.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #42 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:48pm

Quote:

You and I frequently disagree when it comes to political sentiment, but I could not agree more!  Well said!

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #43 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:49pm

Loopy wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:41pm:
What we need is more Europeans telling us how our government should work or how mean we all are because we don't want their system over here.

Ok, give me 20 mins to think of a post..! Wink

Lefty..!
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:52pm by Lefty »  

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #44 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:56pm

Buzz wrote:
"And please, when I say "Free healthcare" I do not mean that no one pays. What I mean is that it is accessible to all so that those who need it get it. Its only fair and logical that everyone contributes a little of their income to make something that would be a national asset, something for Americans to be proud of where each and every person is a stakeholder."

I pull out one phrase from this portion of your post, "Its only fair...", and ask you to define "fair".  What is fair about taking away what I have worked for to give it to someone else who has been lazy and not willing to work or to take the risk to improve himself.  If I were to go to my neighbor and demand he pay for my healthcare and held a gun on him to make him do it it would be called robbery.  However, if the government comes to me and does the same it is called taxation. 

Our freedom is in our ability to make wise choices to improve our lives, not in having someone else to pay for our excesses and unwillingness to take care of ourselves.

Jerry

Edited because I somehow left out the quote.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:58pm by Callico »  

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #45 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:10pm

Quote:

I work hard for what I have.  My neighbor sleeps til noon and then parties til midnight.
We are both enjoying our personal freedom.  The fact that I can pay for medical service and he is unable to pay IS, IN FACT, LIBERTY.

Brian,
Hate to rain on your parade, but your reasoning is faulty (italicized and in blue).  That's a pretty damned big brush your using to paint those who can't afford healt coverage (and I am in NO way supporting a govt. controlled health plan).  What about those people who work hard, pay their bills, buy a few groceries and don't have extra money for insurance?  There are actually more people who fall between the cracks than those you mention.

No health care for the poor?  Balderdash.  My best friend developed non-Hodgkins lymphoma.  She had no insurance of any kind.  She did not pay one penny for any of her hospital stays, treatments or medication, nor was her family responsible for any debts incurred before her death (she went through experimental treatment as a last resort).  We looked at what her treatment cost and it was well over half a million dollars.

I think Marc pretty much hit the proerbial nail on the head.

"Virtually all Americans want lower cost, high quality health care with choices.

That isn't being debated.

A well thought out plan that would actually reduce overall total costs would be overwhelmingly accepted.

Spreading the same total cost over more people via higher taxes is not the same as actually reducing overall cost.

I have seen nothing in the current set of proposals that would actually reduce overall health care costs.

I have yet to see a Government program of any kind, run efficiently. They are ALL going broke at an alarming rate.

The GAO agrees with me."

The broken toys need to be fixed before the government tells me that I have to buy new ones.

One thing I will say with regards to tort/liability, the US is a sue happy population, where it's relatively rare in the UK.  Also, primary care is BIG in the UK, where it's not so big here (there is a tremendous shortage of PCP in the US).

And for those of you who seem to think that there are no socialized health programs that are paid for by me, et al, think again, Medicaid, Medicare, state run children's programs (We have LaChip for the in between earners), public health units, university hospitals that provide free health care and I'm sure there are more that I'm just not thinking of right now.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:13pm by deltadarlin »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #46 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:19pm

Quote:

And yet we are told that the public option will be paid for through elimination of waste.

I think I know which eliminated waste he's talking about. It's the male bovine type.

IP Logged

Buzz
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #47 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:47pm

Callico wrote on Sep 17th, 2009 at 4:56pm:
Buzz wrote:
"And please, when I say "Free healthcare" I do not mean that no one pays. What I mean is that it is accessible to all so that those who need it get it. Its only fair and logical that everyone contributes a little of their income to make something that would be a national asset, something for Americans to be proud of where each and every person is a stakeholder."

I pull out one phrase from this portion of your post, "Its only fair...", and ask you to define "fair".  What is fair about taking away what I have worked for to give it to someone else who has been lazy and not willing to work or to take the risk to improve himself.  If I were to go to my neighbor and demand he pay for my healthcare and held a gun on him to make him do it it would be called robbery.  However, if the government comes to me and does the same it is called taxation. 

Our freedom is in our ability to make wise choices to improve our lives, not in having someone else to pay for our excesses and unwillingness to take care of ourselves.

Jerry

Edited because I somehow left out the quote.

I see. So some factory worker who suffers from cluster headaches and cannot afford top level medical treatment like his boss can expecting someone else to pay for his EXCESSES? His unwillingness to take care of himself?

At least I know how my cluster headaches started now! Excess and self neglect, apparently. Thank you Callico!

What needs to be realised and accepted and supported by society is that we NEED the low wage earners.  It is their work and lower wages that keep our prices down. We DEMAND lower prices yet the very 'machine' that contributes to those lower prices (and indeed contribute to the economy all the way up to the wallets of the corporate heavyweights), the lower paid workers must receive second rate "maintenance". We all benefit from their efforts yet don't want to do anything to ensure their health and happiness?  That is sad. That is unjust. And that is blinkered, short-term thinking that will benefit no one in the long term.

Sick people deserve access to the treatment they need, not the treatment they can afford. You can't get better and be productive again if you cannot afford proper healthcare. Instead, you become a permanently ill, unemployed, unproductive burden on on society, looked down upon and cursed by the very people who created you.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #48 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:54pm

Kinda reinforces why we issued The Declaration of Independence and went our own way.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #49 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:59pm

Hey Buzz, explain to me WHY the healthcare insurance HAS to be Goverment run??  Especially when there are other options?

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!