Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using O2 and another abortive simultaneously..? (Read 946 times)
bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Using O2 and another abortive simultaneously..?
Sep 12th, 2009 at 8:48pm

Who has tried O2 along with imitrex or zyprexa to abort an attack?

How did it work - did they seem to complement each other, or did the O2 seem to negate the drug effectiveness?

I've considered doing both O2 and trex when I know I have a honking wallop of a whopper coming on, but there's the concern I just read in a neighboring thread that the O2 may temporarily give the drug not enough of the bad guy bulging artery action to fight against, so the drug just takes the rest of the night off, doesn't really do anything, and then 1 hour later Mr. McBeastie comes a knockin' again with quite the loud, rude, howdydoo.... Shocked

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: Using O2 and another abortive simultaneously..?
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 12:18am

I don,t think you have read enough on this site yet. O2 will have no effect on other meds.

O2 is the first line of defense, if it doesn't stop the hit , then go to the Imitrex or other abortive. Oxygen does not make them less effective.

Todays knowledge shows the proper O2 flow rates with a CH designed mask can be the best abortive available.

Best of Luck,  Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 12:36am

Skyhawk5 wrote on Sep 13th, 2009 at 12:18am:
I don,t think you have read enough on this site yet. O2 will have no effect on other meds.

I don't think I have either - maybe you can point me to some specific discussion here about the effectiveness and advisability of simultaneous use of O2 and other abortives?

Skyhawk5 wrote on Sep 13th, 2009 at 12:18am:
O2 is the first line of defense, if it doesn't stop the hit , then go to the Imitrex or other abortive. Oxygen does not make them less effective.

Trying only O2 first then moving on is something I know about from experience - but that is something different: it is sequential, not simultaneous use of abortives, after one of them has proven ineffective.

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 9:38am

The only treatments I combine with O2 are energy drinks or coffee.  The whole point of high flow O2 is to avoid burning through my precious stocks of triptans.  I only use them as a last line of defense.  I don't think I'm alone in this either.

The logic behind this is $$$, triptans are expensive, and health, triptans abuse the crap out of your circulatory system.  Plus overuse of Imitrex can lead to more hits in certain individuals.

I don't see why you'd want to pursue this.  Please enlighten me.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 10:31am

From MY experience, O2 has no impact on any abortive I've ever used - which is every Triptan made - but not Zyprexa.

In the 10 years that I've been here, I do not recall anyone reporting O2 reducing the effectiveness of any abortive - with the one recent exception of a one time experience.

In fact, it is very common to use both at the same time.

If I'm in a situation where I really have to be sure it won't come back (like in the middle of my daughter's wedding, or a presentation on stage in front of 500 people) I will use a Triptan and suck on the O2 while it's kicking in.

This works absolutely every time for me and has for many years.

Now, with high flow O2 - I can avoid using a Triptan most of the time and I save them for emergencies.

Marc
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2009 at 10:38am by Marc »  

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 3:13pm

DennisM1045 wrote on Sep 13th, 2009 at 9:38am:
I don't see why you'd want to pursue this.  Please enlighten me.

Please find enlightenment enclosed here in what Marc said  Smiley:

"it is very common to use both at the same time.

If I'm in a situation where I really have to be sure it won't come back (like in the middle of my daughter's wedding, or a presentation on stage in front of 500 people) I will use a Triptan and suck on the O2 while it's kicking in.

This works absolutely every time for me and has for many years.
"

Thanks Marc - that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. Smiley

Certainly this approach is to be used only for the most extraordinary/dire circumstances - another for instance being a peak cycle hit coming on at a time of day and with an intensity that has notoriously proven to be impervious to O2 alone, and threatens to not even be responsive to triptans alone.

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2009 at 1:26am by bejeeber »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!