Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ergotamines (Read 2144 times)
madaline
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|ellicott city|USA||0|0|MD,Maryland
ergotamines
Sep 9th, 2009 at 5:50am

I have not written in at least a year; I am a chronic for about 12 years, have tried almost everything. Verapamil controls the daytime attacks pretty well and caffeine gets rid of the ones I do get in the daytime, but have not had a painfree night in years. I am exhausted!! Now my neurologist wants me to try an ergotamine as a preventive, but my medical doctor had me make an appt. with a cardiologist since the erg. is a vasoconstrictor. I have been taking Relpax as an abortive but you cannot take that on a nightly basis, is what I am told. What info can you all give me about ergotamines? Does anyone take them on a daily basis?  I will really appreciate the info.  Hurting in Md.  Madaline.

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Re: ergotamines
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 6:48am

Quote:
ergotamine as a preventive

Huh? Huh

I am taking dihydergot( dihydroergotamine) not as a
preventive but as an abortive in the beggining of a crisis with a coffee or an energy drink and nothing else for the next 6-8 hours.If another crisis after six hours pass hits back i repeat this.
If it is before six hours pass i prefer another coffee or energy drink with an icepack on face.
(but be careful as i haven't ever discussed it with a neuro so all these it's my own risk)

For night hits there are lots of posts for melatonin helping having a good night sleep.You should give them a look

But i never thought of ergotamine and dihydroergotamine as preventative but rather as an abortive when and if needed.Don't know what to say. Huh

pf wishes Smiley

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 7:52am

I took ergotamine (not DHE!) as a preventative 30-35 years ago, AFAIR it worked and I didn't had any problems from it.

IP Logged

clavers
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 9:37am

I take DHE injections to abort CH attacks.  At first the injection worked like imitrex, but as time passed it became necessary to use O2 along with the DHE to abort an attack.  When I use this combination, even though it is sometimes awkward, it prevents another attack for at least 24 hours.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 2:46pm

Yes, ergotamine at bedtime was a old time preventive of night attacks. Worked pretty well  and I used it as a preventive when going to do hard work which would increase  body temperature (another trigger for some of us).

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

madaline
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 7:53pm

Thank you for your replies. I also read the websites that Bob Johnson gave another poster, and found the articles extremely informative. I now have more questions on the medicine that my doctor prescribed, as it seems it causes internal scarring of organs etc. I have to check into all this; the more I read, the more let down I get as to ever getting rid of this thing. It seems the side effects of the meds are more lethal than the disease!!   Madaline. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 8:01pm by madaline »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 8:59pm

madaline wrote on Sep 9th, 2009 at 7:53pm:
It seems the side effects of the meds are more lethal than the disease!! 

Too right. Especially if it turns out the neuro supplying the ergotomines has massively over-dosed you.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

madaline
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 12:12am

Well it is after midnight now.The first of my nightly attacks started at 9:30PM and I am now so overdosed on caffeine that it is letting up. About a K-5 now so I will take something to try to get a couple of hours sleep before next attack. Night all.  Madaline.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 6:58am

Quote:
as it seems it causes internal scarring of organs etc.

Sounds like you're talking about Sansert.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 7:54am

As BobP notes: if your doc is considering Sansert--there are very well known problems with prolonged use. Common to take a break from use every 6-months and this prevents the side effects.

IF you are, as I assumed, asking about ergo. to get thru the night, then no problem. The night time dose is 1mg and even at this low dose, the side effect potential is well recognized and so dosing limits over X-time are published.
As with any med, we must have knowledge to balance benefit & potential risks. A list of side effects is a statement of POSSIBILITIES. It is not a PREDICTION of what will occur. Wisdom calls for knowing both the risk and asking the doc what to look for, i.e., symptoms of side effects.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

madaline
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 6:31am

I can't actually read the name of the medicine, (due to doc's handwriting)  but I am taking the prescription to the pharmacist to see what she can tell me about the med. Will let you all know what she says.  Madaline.

IP Logged

madaline
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 6:32am

I can't actually read the name of the medicine, (due to doc's handwriting)  but I am taking the prescription to the pharmacist to see what she can tell me about the med. Will let you all know what she says.  Madaline.

IP Logged

clavers
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:04am

I have been using DHE injections when necessary for about five years, sometimes on a daily basis.  So far I am still alive, and as far as I know no organs are scarred. My neurologist put me on DHE because he said that he believed that Imitrex causes rebound headaches, and looking back on my use of that drug, I believe it. DHE has worked pretty well for me, although Blue Cross hates to let me have it and puts up any roadblock they can. Damn them.

IP Logged

Lawrence
CH.com Veteran

There WILL be a cure

Merrillville, Indiana
Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 1:32pm

clavers wrote on Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:04am:
DHE has worked pretty well for me, although Blue Cross hates to let me have it and puts up any roadblock they can. Damn them.

The insurance corporation can be pretty ugly sometimes. I was surprised when they let me have O2 without any hassle. Tongue

Weapons Check:
O2 grenades--Verapamil hollow points--
Prednisone Sniper Rifle--Rivea corymbosa Nerve Gas

IP Logged

madaline
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 4:37pm

The new med being prescribed is Methergine. Anyone have any info on it?   Thanks     Madaline Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:10am

Your doc is reaching deeply into the bag of old timey meds! As you can see from this abstract's date--and it was the only hit I received--it had some effectiveness and so, likely worth a try.
------------

Headache. 1997 Jul-Aug;37(7):437-42.Related Articles, Links
Methylergonovine maleate as a cluster headache prophylactic: a study and review.

Mueller L, Gallagher RM, Ciervo CA.

University Headache Center, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine, Moorestown 08057, USA.

Methylergonovine maleate (Methergine), an ergot derivative with vasoconstrictive properties, has been cited as an effective treatment for vascular headaches. Few studies are available to support its use in headache management. An uncontrolled pilot study of 20 episodic cluster headache patients confirmed its effectiveness and tolerability as an adjunct cluster headache prophylactic. Decreased headache frequency was reported by 19 of 20 patients (95%), and 15 of 20 patients (75%) reported decreased intensity of headaches within 1 week of initiating therapy. A review of methylergonovine's pharmacokinetic, molecular, and tolerability profile clarifies its mechanisms and clinical role in headache management.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 9277027 [PubMed]
========

But I wonder if your doc has tried any of the more curren crop of meds????

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

madaline
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 8:44pm

Hi Bob, thank you so much for all your great info. Yes, my neuro is up on all the latest info. I have just been with her about a year and a half.She does research at one of the most respected hospitals in the country (Johns Hopkins), here in Baltimore, Maryland.I am a chronic and a tough case. Over the last 13 years I have tried all the anti seizure meds, the melatonin route, the O2, Neurontin, Gabapentin, Chlonodine,Indomethacine which worked for me for four years and then just stopped having any effect,( four years - how long it took me to get diagnosed) and I could go on and on. I have been on Verapamil for about 5 years now; it controls the daytime attacks pretty well, but not the night ones. Most of the meds were all too heavy duty for me, and I became practically catatonic from some, my feet and hands swelled from others etc. Others had no effect. So we keep going down the list; I am not a great patient when it comes to trying new meds because I read about all the side effects and I walk around for a few months before I try each new med. But, thank you for all your great info and sites. Hope you all are well. Madaline. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!