Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy (Read 42267 times)
rane4rane
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy
Sep 2nd, 2009 at 4:12pm

I am a 53 y/o male who has had clusters for 30 years. Until this last year, they have come every year or two for about 4-6 weeks. Around Christmas 2008, they came back and unfortunately have not left. With treatments of Prednisone and Verapamil, I have been able to abort the cycle, then after 4-6 weeks of being headache free, as soon as I get off the drugs, they come back again. Obviously after 30 years, I have run the gamut of various prescription drugs as well as holistic remedies, with varying degrees of success. The prednisone and verapamil combo seems to work the best, but I hate being on meds, so I’m always looking for something more natural. I had just finished researching some interesting articles on the use of food-grade hydrogen peroxide when the headaches started to come back. Some of the claims that I had read specifically mentioned cluster headaches, so I decided to give it a try. I bought some 35% food-grade hydrogen peroxide at the health food store and started on the “program”. (VERY IMPORTANT: You MUST use 35% FOOD-GRADE H2O2, not the 3% stuff from the drugstore which is not edible)! What I had read said to start with 3 drops in 6-8 ounces of water 3x per day on an empty stomach and increase one drop each day. I started with great skepticism but began anyway. This was a strange cycle in that the headaches occurred 3-4 times per day (unusual for me) and never got too severe. There were a few times that I was able to take the H2O2 as a HA was starting (remember you have to take it on an empty stomach) and it either completely aborted the HA quickly or lessened the duration to 30-45 minutes. One time, we were entertaining some friends when a cluster started and I immediately took the H2O2 and it was gone within 5 minutes. My wife was so astounded that she told our friends what I was trying. Of course they looked at us like we were nuts. But who cares! It seems to work. This is my third day headache free and I’m up to 21 drops per day (once you hit 25 drops, you go back down). I feel completely normal again (whatever that is)  Smiley BTW, I had tried pure oxygen at various times and had mixed results with that. If you have had any experience with this therapy, I would certainly appreciate some feedback. If you are interested in trying it, RESEARCH IT! There are lots of articles on the Internet, so do some homework first. Good luck!

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 6:05pm

Well, I have to admit that I haven't heard this one before.

I can't help but wonder what is different about the "food grade" version. The old standard antiseptic stuff in the brown bottle does a great job of eating healthy tissue.

Marc

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 7:28pm

Marc wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 6:05pm:

I can't help but wonder what is different about the "food grade" version. The old standard antiseptic stuff in the brown bottle does a great job of eating healthy tissue.

Marc

Maybe it comes in fruit flavors.

Potter

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 9:21pm

Hey...great luck to ya.   Folks here are not always open to trying new stuff...understandably, most folks want to stick with the tried and true, I guess the pain is too great to take a chance.

I have just been back here recently after two years, and learned about Melatonin, and Testosterone, and a few other  things that may or may not work, but two years ago were not talked about here at least that I remember.  Who knows what will be in another two years.
  So I for one, like to keep an open mind about any other Idea that could possibly bring relief. I hope that stuff works really great for you, and I appreciate your input on it...Do you have a link to any sites that are good reads about peroxide?
   I prefer not to drug myself if possible, so I read all I can, in hopes that something will jump out....We are not all made the same, so who knows!   
   lorac

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 9:48pm

There remains one big question.

Quote:
remember you have to take it on an empty stomach

Will barfing do or do I have to wait till the stomach gets empty in a natural way?

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:24pm

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 9:48pm:
Will barfing do or do I have to wait till the stomach gets empty in a natural way?

Barfing is fairly natural so you should certainly have at it immediately, then continue at routine intervals throughout the day.

Hey Rane, this is one I'll add to my file of interesting CH therapy ideas. Thanks for posting, and congrats on getting some good relief.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:25pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:26pm

Please be very careful.  It doesn"t sound like a good idea to get daily exposure.

They don't even use peroxide in ERs anymore due to the negative effects.  My doctor specifically reccommended to only use peroxide once every 30 days if it is going to touch the same area.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Lawrence
CH.com Veteran

There WILL be a cure

Merrillville, Indiana
Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:44pm

Shocked

Weapons Check:
O2 grenades--Verapamil hollow points--
Prednisone Sniper Rifle--Rivea corymbosa Nerve Gas

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 6:37am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This has info on therapy (read the disclaimer, first.) Second page has info on the different grades of peroxide.

If the information is right on this, I think the idea is, it supplies more oxygen to the body. Which MIGHT explain how it could work for CH.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

rane4rane
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:50am

The idea is that the hydrogen peroxide gives off a lot of oxygen as it "decomposes". There has been a lot of testing done with it in Europe, both orally and intravenously, dating back to the 1850's. You can also put in in your bath water to increase oxygen consumption. Supposedly it hasn't really caught on in the USA because there's no money in it for the drug companies. Imagine that!

You can find out info from lots of sites by searching on
hydrogen peroxide therapy
. I initially found out about it from an ebook called "The One Minute Cure". You may also be able to find some books on oxidative therapy at the library or Amazon.

There are several different grades of H2O2. The stuff in the brown bottle from the drugstore has stabilizers in it, which is why you shouldn't drink it. I got the 35% food grade at the health food store for about $22 for a quart. If you dilute it to make 3% like the drug store strength, it comes out to about $.69 per 12 ounces. Pretty cheap!

If you read the anecdotal evidence, it sounds like the "wonder drug" that will cure just about eveything. I don't know about that. I don't know for sure if this is what stopped my headaches dead in their tracks this time, but that's the only thing I did that was different. I hope it can help some others as well!

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 3:46pm

rane4rane wrote on Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:50am:
The idea is that the hydrogen peroxide gives off a lot of oxygen as it "decomposes". There has been a lot of testing done with it in Europe, both orally and intravenously, dating back to the 1850's. You can also put in in your bath water to increase oxygen consumption. Supposedly it hasn't really caught on in the USA because there's no money in it for the drug companies. Imagine that!

Hydrogen peroxide does not give off a large amount of oxygen - simply taking a few deep breaths does far more to oxygenate the blood.

What is really important about hydrogen peroxide is that it gives off oxygen singlet radicals ... this is essentially liquid fire. Anyone who has gargled with peroxide and has gotten a burned taste in their mouth knows this. 

Peroxide has value as a topical antiseptic. It may even have value for other diseases (I have not seen clear evidence), but without a doubt it is corrosive shit, and you are not being accurate about the potential problems with using peroxide, or how it works.  Peroxides are reliable tools for inducing mutation in lab studies with cultured cells.  Occasional use on the skin or mouth is probably ok (these cells are short lived and designed to slough off), but taking it internally is not safe, and putting it in a bath will not change the oxygen levels in your blood.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2009 at 3:48pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 5:41pm

monty wrote on Sep 3rd, 2009 at 3:46pm:

Hydrogen peroxide does not give off a large amount of oxygen - simply taking a few deep breaths does far more to oxygenate the blood.

What is really important about hydrogen peroxide is that it gives off oxygen singlet radicals ... this is essentially liquid fire. Anyone who has gargled with peroxide and has gotten a burned taste in their mouth knows this. 

Peroxide has value as a topical antiseptic. It may even have value for other diseases (I have not seen clear evidence), but without a doubt it is corrosive shit, and you are not being accurate about the potential problems with using peroxide, or how it works.  Peroxides are reliable tools for inducing mutation in lab studies with cultured cells.  Occasional use on the skin or mouth is probably ok (these cells are short lived and designed to slough off), but taking it internally is not safe, and putting it in a bath will not change the oxygen levels in your blood.

It'll turn your hair orange to.

Potter

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 7:19pm

Hydrogen peroxide turned me into a blonde haired, blue eyed surfer boy about fifty years ago. Wink

This article is worth a read.
Cheers
Barry

5 - Singlet oxygen (1O2)
This chemical form of oxygen is not a true radical but is reported to be an important ROS in reactions related to ultraviolet exposition (UVA, 320-400 nm). Its toxicity is reinforced when appropriate photoexcitable compounds (sensitizers) are present with molecular oxygen. Several natural sensitizers are known to catalyzed oxidative reactions such as tetrapyrroles (bilirubin), flavins, chlorophyll, hemoproteins and reduced pyridine nucleotides (NADH). Some of these sensitizers are also found in foods and cosmetics. Some others are used for therapeutic purposes (anticancer treatments) and are sensitive to visible light. The presence of metals contributes to increase the production of singlet oxygen, as well as anion superoxide, and thus accelerates the oxidation of unsaturated lipids generating hydroperoxides.

It has been suggested that singlet O2 may be formed during the degradation of lipid peroxides and thus may cause the production of other peroxide molecules. This singlet O2 formation may account for the chemiluminescence observed during lipid peroxidation.

Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:12pm

Potter wrote on Sep 3rd, 2009 at 5:41pm:
monty wrote on Sep 3rd, 2009 at 3:46pm:

It'll turn your hair orange to.

Potter

It'll also get the blood stains out of your clothes.

...that fact alone makes me cringe at the thought of it intravenously. D: Half of me is curious to see the results, the other half is horrified. D:

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 9:25pm

Marc wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 6:05pm:

Marc

32%    Grin

I wonder what the affects on your stomach and esophagus would be after prolonged use ?

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

rane4rane
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 10:38pm

I have to laugh. Why is it that people who know the least are the ones who usually proclaim it the loudest? If I came across some “new” medication or treatment program that might just help this awful condition that we all suffer from, I would at the very least do a little research before bad-mouthing it or poking fun at it! How many of us have taken prescribed medications for cluster headaches without having any idea what was actually in the pill?

Just to try to provide some education: when you take hydrogen peroxide drops, you are diluting it to a homeopathic level, in the area of .1% (whereas drug store variety is a monstrous 3%).There are sooo many websites out there discussing the pros (and cons) of hydrogen peroxide. Here's one you can try: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Believe me, I was very skeptical when I started reading about this treatment. But the more I read, the more intrigued I became. This treatment is still working for me and I pray that it can help a lot more people. If you happen to research it and think it is worthwhile to try, please post your results here.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #16 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 11:19pm

Could it be that we know a little more than you give us credit for?  It's snake oil son, snake oil.

Potter

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #17 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 11:32pm

Well here is a long list on what it cures. If it works, make sure you contact them so they can add cluster headaches to the list.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #18 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 12:17am

Hey smart Guy,

How about coming down from your high horse and share some results of your intensive research? By example, give us a link to some double blind clinical studies, like it was done for the pill I swallow.

I have read up what's in the pills I take, and have some pretty good idea how they work, while your H2O2 knowledge is meager to say the least.

Google brings 1,230,000 hits for H2O2. A few of them are technical or scientific papers on hydrogen peroxide, but the vast majority are from health scam sites, that try to sell at an exorbitant price a simple chemical, luring the suckers with some pseudo-scientific wishy-washy "evidence" and made up testimonials.

Like the dancingalgae.com link you gave. It has some vague information, hidden in lots of garbage half-truths, and some anecdotal evidence, most of it a century old. (like When exposed to other compounds hydrogen peroxide dismutates readily. I like this connection to alchemy Smiley ) But the best of this article, that claims H2O2 can "heal" 50 diseases, from Insect Bites over Food Allergies to HIV and cancer, is that at the end of the page it I'm told how I can order this miraculous stuff from the author. Very trustworthy indeed.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #19 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 1:41am

High-Strength Hydrogen Peroxide Danger
FDA Says Product -- Illegally Sold as AIDS and Cancer Cure -- Could Be Fatal if Ingested
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDJuly 28, 2006 -- The FDA is warning people not to buy or ingest high-strength hydrogen peroxide for medicinal purposes.

High-strength hydrogen peroxide has been falsely touted to treat AIDS, cancer, and other serious illnesses, but it has no approved medical uses, says the FDA.

In fact, high-strength hydrogen peroxide may kill or cause serious harm if ingested, even if it is labeled "food-grade," according to the FDA.

Drinking high-strength hydrogen peroxide can cause gastrointestinal irritation or ulcersulcers. Taking it intravenously can inflame the blood vessels at the injection site, cause bubbles in blood vessels (gas embolisms), and prompt potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, the FDA warns.

The FDA's advice: If you're using high-strength hydrogen peroxide for medical reasons, stop immediately and call your doctor.

Warnings to Sellers
On July 19, the FDA issued warning letters to two Texas-based online marketers of high-strength hydrogen peroxide: Frad-35, Inc. and DFWX.

According to the FDA, the two firms' web sites were illegally selling "35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide" to treat AIDS, cancers, emphysema, and other serious and life-threatening diseases.

"This concentration is not approved by FDA for any purpose," says Steven Galson, MD, MPH, in an FDA news release. Galson directs the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

"No one has presented any evidence that hydrogen peroxide taken internally has any medical value," Galson continues. "In fact, consuming hydrogen peroxide in the manner touted by these web sites could lead to tragic results."

High-strength hydrogen peroxide has never been approved by the FDA for internal use. It's more than 10 times stronger than the solution used in over-the-counter drugs to disinfect minor cuts.

Dangerous to Use
It is also highly corrosive. The FDA considers the substance to be dangerous, even if handled according to manufacturers' directions.

This isn't the FDA's first warning about high-strength hydrogen peroxide.

In April 1989, the FDA issued a news release about the illegal promotion of industrial-strength hydrogen peroxide to treat AIDS and cancer. That warning followed at least one related death in Texas and several injuries requiring hospitalization.

View Article Sources 
SOURCES: News release, FDA. Warning letters, FDA. Reuters.
© 2006 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.

MJ

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #20 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 2:48am

Having posted the above warning there is something to be said regarding the natural occurrence of hydrogen peroxide and its ability to cause regulation of serotonin.
It can be created normally in the body and appears to have some effect on the vascular system.

food for thought. Perhaps some minute dosage can cause benefit.

MJ

IP Logged

MattyAA
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Poland, EU
Reply #21 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 8:52am

And I believe this guy I think a bit, since there was so many surprising meds for our malady, then perhaps there is something into it.

It can always be as last resort if someone is med resistant I guess?

Some medical trials would be cool on this treatment, since we can only test on ourselves and have poor info from it.

IP Logged

rane4rane
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 9:53pm

Potter wrote on Sep 4th, 2009 at 11:19pm:
Could it be that we know a little more than you give us credit for?  It's snake oil son, snake oil.

Potter

Snake oil? Are you kidding me?

Look, I didn't start this thread to open a hornet's nest, but just to say to my fellow CH sufferers that this might be something that could help and if it is something that might help, then it's worth investigating. What kind of person would I be if I had found something as simple as this that did work and didn't tell anyone? Again, I'm not saying that this is some miracle cure, but if it helps someone, then HOORAY!!!!

I agree that the 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide can be dangerous. It is corrosive and could cause burns or worse, if used without dilution. But you do dilute it! Way down from 35%. All the drugs that we take for cluster headaches would kill us if we didn't take them in the right dosage. Just use the smarts that God gave you.

If you read the research that's out there about hydrogen peroxide and decide it's worth trying, great! If you decide it's not for you, that's great too! Make your own decision. Good Luck!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #23 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 10:31pm

You think you're the first one to try and push peroxide here?  Hardly.

potter

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #24 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 10:48pm

Cynics. I know the peroxide thing is true.

It got the skunk out of my dog AND he hasn't had a cluster headache.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!