Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to write a Lidocaine script? (Read 3219 times)
omphalos
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Seattle|USA||0|0|WA,Washington
How to write a Lidocaine script?
Jul 11th, 2009 at 6:14pm

After a hiatus of a couple years the Beast is back...

I've tried lidocaine ointment 5% on a Q-tip and it helps, so I' d like to try nasal spray at 4 or 5 %. I just see a regular GP and can't afford a neurologist, but he trusts me and would gladly write the script.

Problem is, how does he write it up? If I had my druthers, I'd just dilute lidocaine injectable to 5% in saline and stick it in a nasal sprayer, but I doubt the guy at Safeway is going to do that....

Suggestions for the cheapest way to compound this would be greatly appreciated...

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: How to write a Lidocaine script?
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 6:30pm

I had minimal success with Lidocaine about 10 years ago when I tried it. The ONLY way that it did ANYTHING for me was in a 15% nasal spray.

Based on my experience, you will need find a pharmacy that can deal with custom formularies - it needs to be mixed at that level.

Once I discovered VERY high flow oxygen therapy, my whole world changed. I would really suggest getting O2 with a good mask and a high flow regulator - like 25 lpm. 

Again, I've been chronic for over 13 years and I said that "oxygen doesn't work for me", and suffered needlessly for way too long because I didn't know.

Learning how to breathe 100% O2 at a high flow rate for a few minutes at a time, gave me my life back.

If you want to stop the agony, go with O2 - it's your call.

Marc

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 7:58pm

I tried the 4% lidocaine drops in the early 80's, had very minimal positive effect on my CH....Now oxygen!!!!!

We'll sound like revival preachers around here when it comes to 02. Since learning to use oxygen correctly I've all but eliminated my use of imitrex. Read the "oxygen info" link on the left, complete with pictures illustrating the set up you'll need. The first time you stop the beast dead in his tracks...in 6-8 minutes, you'll join the rest of us preachers!

Wishing you some pain free time soon, these things suck!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

omphalos
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 8:58pm

I'm glad O2 is working for you guys, but I'm really more concerned with getting some lidocaine drops as cheaply as possible and I'd like to know how my Dr can write that up.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 9:04pm

Why don't you ask your doctor?

Not tryin' to be a smartass, just sayin'...

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 9:30pm

omphalos wrote on Jul 11th, 2009 at 8:58pm:
I'm glad O2 is working for you guys, but I'm really more concerned with getting some lidocaine drops as cheaply as possible and I'd like to know how my Dr can write that up.

Drug seeking sucks.  Get the oxygen thing going.

Potter

IP Logged

omphalos
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 11:37pm

Thanks for the tips, guys. Helpful, as always.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 11:55pm

Guiseppi wrote on Jul 11th, 2009 at 7:58pm:
I tried the 4% lidocaine drops in the early 80's, had very minimal positive effect on my CH....Now oxygen!!!!!

Ummmm....yeah...same here, just a little more recent.

If it works for you...GREAT...go for it. Sounds like you have a willing doc and it really is an easy script. He/she just writes a script for the % you are looking for. The harder part is finding a compounding pharmacy...got mine from the Swedish Hospital Pharmacy. Actually one of the cheapest scripts I've ever gotten...$10.00 for two huge bottles.

Have you tried oxygen? Lots more reported success than lido, and it has changed my life. Other bullets include verapamil, energy drinks (high caffeiene and taurine) and zomig nasal spray as last resort.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

omphalos
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 12:54am

Jon, now that was truly helpful. Didn't know Swedish did compounding -- I was trying to figure out an easy way for the guy at Safeway to do it.

Many thanks!

IP Logged

Sophia
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 4:46am

My last experience in the USA was last year and Walgreens would still compound medication. I am sure if the guy at Safeway cant do it he will know someone who can.

I am VERY interested in the Swedish pharmacy. I live in Copenhagen and Malmo, Sweden is just a short train ride away over the water. The government here regulates the cost of medications and I get extra help but my last count on how much I had spent over the year so far was over 2000US dollars. EEEK!!! I take medications for severe asthma as well so that is why.

Best of luck to you! Sophia

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 9:46am

omphalos wrote on Jul 12th, 2009 at 12:54am:
Jon, now that was truly helpful. Didn't know Swedish did compounding -- I was trying to figure out an easy way for the guy at Safeway to do it.

Many thanks!

As already mentioned, it simply takes a pharmacy that can compound - it's not complicated - it's making a mix. Having the script written one way another has no impact on the fact that it must be mixed.

You will simply need to find a competent pharmacy as opposed to chain a store who only know how to dispense. When I tried Lidocaine, the same small town pharmacy was able to give me 5% nasal spray, then 15% when the Doc decided to try a higher strength.

I'm glad it works so well for you, because it's pretty rare to be very effective with CH's.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2009 at 9:48am by Marc »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 3:03pm

Sophia wrote on Jul 12th, 2009 at 4:46am:
I am VERY interested in the Swedish pharmacy. I live in Copenhagen and Malmo, Sweden is just a short train ride away over the water. The government here regulates the cost of medications and I get extra help but my last count on how much I had spent over the year so far was over 2000US dollars. EEEK!!! I take medications for severe asthma as well so that is why.

Hi Sophia,

I should have been more clear...sorry. As omphalos is in Seattle I knew he would know of Swedish. It is a renowned local hospital where my treating neuro practices. It's not a "Swedish" hospital...it is a hospital named Swedish (I suspect from the long relationship of the northwest and Scandavian settlers).

In my experience, compounding pharmacies were rare (used to have to go 100 mi to one that would make ergostat tartrate for me). As Marc related, it is apparently no longer so...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!