Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
imitrex and naproxen substitute for Treximet (Read 4613 times)
ddikevin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

imitrex and naproxen substitute for Treximet
Jul 6th, 2009 at 1:35pm

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere already but I am in pain so I dont have the energy or focus to go looking for the answer. briefly I think this is my third Ch cycle in 3 years. I am new to this site and the second time last september the neuro put me on treximet and this works in about 20 mins. My cycle seem to last about 3 to 4 weeks growing in intensity. I am ready to go back to neuro and checked the approved prescription list at my insurer Cigna and saw that Treximet is now not approved. This obviously has me a little worried. If I take two pills imitrex and naproxen will I experience the same relief ? what have been your experiences with taking the two pils over the one?  thank you

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Re: imitrex and naproxen substitute for Treximet
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 1:44pm

Have you talked to your nero about oxygen treatment for Ch. I do have the imetrex shots but have not needed a single prick since i got the 02. I can beat a Ch in less than 5 minutes with 02. It is worth a look trust me.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 1:52pm

Insist on oxygen.

Potter

IP Logged

Bob Greenwood
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Mass.
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 2:05pm

I don't remember why, but my neuro told me not to take Ibuprophin with Imiterx. I think it has something to do with the stomach. Huh

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 2:07pm

Treximet was compounded and is marketed for migraine. Naproxen has no value with CH and so is a needless med to take.

Primarily, however, the pill form of Imitrex is too slow acting for most folks who have commented on it here. It would be more effective to fight with your insurance company to get approval for the forms of Imitrex which do work--injection of nasal spray. (This is a job for your neuro--to do the fighting--and there is info on the OUCH site [left] to help.)

Another option, which has the convenience of a pill form and lower cost cf. Imitrex, is Zyprexa. (Print out Rozen list, below, and give to your Neuro.)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 2:15pm

I also use imitrex injection due to the slow acting nature of the pills.  My doc did prescribe me Treximet to try - it did nothing for my clusters.  I believe you may see more of a difference with two pills of imitrex due to the higher dosage that Treximet has - it has 85mg Imitrex plus naproxen sodium.  This is almost as much as the max 100 mg pill of imitrex.  It would be better (as far as cost & how many you can get per month from insurance etc) to ask for a prescription of the 100mg pills than to take two... side note - the max you should take in a day is 200mg...

I also agree with Potter & Bill, however - Oxygen is the BEST - you should aim to try it if you haven't - I only use Imitrex injections if I'm not near O2 (on a plane, driving, in a store, etc) and am hit or if the O2 doesnt work for whatever reason - it does most of the time and Without side effects!!

Best of luck,

Val

val2651  
IP Logged

ddikevin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 2:27pm

thank you all for your quick response, I will ask about the O2 and research the other drug options. Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 5:03pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Jul 6th, 2009 at 2:07pm:
Naproxen has no value with CH and so is a needless med to take.

Bob I have to disagree with you on Naproxen.
Naproxen sodium (Aleve)

For me and a few others it is one of the few OTCs that can help with the lingering headaches, the stressed neck muscles and other incidentals to CH.
Being a muscle relaxant and anti inflammatory it has the potential to be detrimental to CH but used sparingly it can help a lot.

For me it is one of the only meds that could relieve the strong lingering shadows and tight neck muscles so common for many of us after endless days and nights of pain. Other NSAIDs do not help me in this way.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

MJ

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 8:22pm

Potter wrote on Jul 6th, 2009 at 1:52pm:
Insist on oxygen.

Potter

Yep - if done right, O2 can be fantastic for most Clusterheads.. (Bob P tends to do things wrong  Grin)

Bob Johnson wrote on Jul 6th, 2009 at 2:07pm:
Treximet was compounded and is marketed for migraine. Naproxen has no value with CH and so is a needless med to take.

Primarily, however, the pill form of Imitrex is too slow acting for most....................

Bob, I have to agree with you here. When MOST people get hit with a real K8-K10, Naproxen has no valueat all. The pill form is slow, so it allows the hit to bloom into a biggie.

MJ, for low level hits and/or tension headaches I can't disagree. Have you had good success with Naproxen on a really big hit? If so, I am jealous.

Marc

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 12:22am

Marc -Your right it does absolutely nothing for an attack but Naproxyn can do wonders for the side effects as stated above.

It wont even help a low level CH hit but it will help between the hits.

When days have rolled into weeks, months, and all you can feel is the nagging remnants of CH. while you wait to be hit again.
That is the time for Naproxyn and then occasional doses will break the nagging headache and knots tied into the neck from the constant stress of pressing your head into your hand, the wall or whatever one does.
may not help others but its one of the very few things that ever helped me. A good 12 hour dose can do wonders might even allow a few hours of sleep.

Again it is not to abort a hit but can alleviate the pains between (without causing a hit) and that is a surprisingly big part of CH that we too often just accept as part and partial.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2009 at 12:32am by MJ »  

MJ

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 9:33am

Makes sense. That's how Indocin (Indomethacin) worked for me for many years - until I found myself taking way too much of it.

Marc

IP Logged

ddikevin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 2:35pm

One other thing I noticed on this cycle and the last one was a constant sensation on the top of my nose at the Tip. Does anyone know what this means. Does this have anything to do with the Trigeminal nerve....I am interested to see when this sensation disappears will the headaches diappear? anybody else have this?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!