Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Melatonin Side-effects? (Read 1528 times)
Rob73
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Melatonin Side-effects?
Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:04pm

Hi,

I've bought some melatonin capsules as I thought I would try them to help me sleep and also because most of my CH's are happening between 2-7.00a.m.

I'm a bit concerned now though about side-effects, particularly as I suffer from depression and have read in a few places that melatonin supplements can make depression worse.  I'm not normally one to get overly concerned with side-effects, and particularly with a herbal supplement but I really, really don't want to do anything to exacerbate the depression.

Does anyone here also suffer from depression yet have taken melatonin?  What were your experiences please?

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Melatonin Side-effects?
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:14pm

Anything that makes me drousy is a trigger. Melatonin makes me drousy. Cant take it when in an episode. But that is just my experience. It does help many with the nighttime attacks.
the bb

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:16pm

Of course not a doctor, however my doc over @ new england center for headaches had me on melatonin when I was taking an anti depressant....

the only side effect was pain free nights

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 3:00pm

Hi Rob,

Depression has always been a problem for me...don't know if it was
because of ch or ch a part of it...

Can say that I use melatonin and it has no effect on depression...
good or bad. It does make me feel "ooky" prior to sleep...can't describe any better.

Many achieve relief from nighttime hits when using. For me, that only occurred once...and I thought I had found the "magic bullet"...not to be. BUT, what it does do is make me groggy enough that upon awakening with a hit (sometimes 8/night), I can abort with O2...and return to sleep immediately. Part of it, and important for me, is that besides the melatonin grogginess, I have determined in my mind NOT to panic, not to get angry, not to thrash or move around...just calmly hit the O2. Must admit sometimes it means I leave the e-tank valve on cuz I just am not aware enough to turn off when I'm finished (but not on my face)...and empty a tank greets me in the morn (so have lots available).

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 8:31pm

I have suffered from depression in the past, and have taken melatonin with no problems I relate to that.  At the time, I was taking it during my cluster cycles, which didn't overlap with the depressive episodes.

Your mileage may vary - this is another thing that we don't really know a lot about.  Some researchers have raised cautionary notes about the possibility that melatonin might make depression or autoimmune conditions worse ... I think that is a hypothetical - possible, but not proven.

Here's a link to an article that goes the other way: they are speculating that melatonin might be beneficial for depression:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

In the study "The association of nocturnal serum melatonin levels with major depression in patients with acute multiple sclerosis," they found that higher night time melatonin levels were associated with milder symptoms in depressed people with MS.

In old people living in a nursing home, melatonin improved sleep but slightly increased negative affect (bad mood) but the mood changes were offset by light therapy (suggesting that disrupting circadian cycles was the cause).
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

In another study in a nursing home, melatonin improved sleep and reduced depressive symptoms:

Antidepressants increase melatonin levels:

I would discount any of the studies on mice, rabbits, rats, etc ... those animals tend to be quite dependent on the seasons, and melatonin will change their behavior dramatically.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 8:37pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 10:10am

While not one of my major sources of medical data <bg>, the AARP magazine, Julyl/August, 09, has a table of supplemental items which can be used with a variety of common medical problems.

Melatonin, 1-3mg at bedtime, is listed as a supplement to the standard Rx meds for depression.

Would note a well controlled study out of England which showed--using for sleep--Melatonin, 1/3 mg, was superior to higher or lower doses. Since this is not a standard pill size, you might try 1/2 mg and see....
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2009 at 10:11am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 10:41am

I have not noticed any affects on depression.  I have taken several sleep aids, and none work as well as melatonin.  There are no side effects for me at all.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 3:42pm

Melatonin has had no effect on my depression, PTSD, or OCD.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

TarHeel-blues
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

matthews nc
Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 10:46pm

ive taken 9 mg a night for about a year now and the only side effect i notice is the lack of nightime hits Smiley

IP Logged

dannymack
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 7:00pm

Rob:

I tried it for the first time last week, and it let me sleep through the night . . . but the next day I had a Kip 8 in the middle of the day and I had not had one previously.  I stopped  taking Melatonin immediately.  That may or may not have been the cause, but I was not willing to try it again . . .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!