Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex Question (Read 1453 times)
newagejedi
CH.com Newbie

Almost ready to give up....

Alabama
Imitrex Question
Jun 26th, 2009 at 12:07am

Ok this question will probably sound a little insane but I thought I would ask it anyway.

My insurance will only pay for 4 injections a month and with 5+ attacks a day at k6 to k10, i much prefer the rapid relief the injection provides. However my insurance will cover 18 pills a month which I know I can break in half (quarters doesn't work well for me) which will make 36 doses which still isn't enough.

The Injections are 6mg. The pills are 100mg.

Has anyone out there every melted down/diluted a pill and drawn up injections (much similar to the way I know people do other pain meds like oxyconton etc)?

It would make sense that one could dilute one pill into nearly 17 shots at 6mg a shot (and many more if a smaller dose works for you).

Just a thought. Anyone every tried it?

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: Imitrex Question
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 12:43am

THAT sounds too scary to even think about...DON'T DO IT!

Get thee some O2...read the links...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Sophia
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 3:22am

Uh No I have never tried that. It sounds super scary! For example what if you screw up and have a heart attack or something? I know for me the Imitrex makes my chest and throat tight so I feel like I am having a heart attack and then I have to take a nausea tablet and go lay down no matter how bad the CH is or the nausea tablet wont work.

I have heard of people snorting pain medication. But I agree about the oxygen. I would definately try that first.

Sophia

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 8:56am

If you promise to not move beyond your first sentence we can all relax........

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

miCHel
CH.com Veteran

x1|Montreal (Candiac, Quebec)
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:28am

Hi Jedi,

That does sound way too scary. Only four shots a month really sucks!!!Two tips for you:

If you haven't read the Imitrex tip on the left menu, try it.  Worked great for me.

But mostly, read everything about O2.  On the left menu + I know ClusterChuck and Batch have got some great threads on the subject.  Very effective, cheap and with no secondary effects for most.  It will definitely be added to my arsenal next cycle.

Take care!

miCHel

Good one Scotty!  Now beam down my clothes...

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 8:26pm

I'm big on trying weird stuff, going off-label and experimenting, but:

That would be flat-ass stupid.

I don't generally say things like that, but stop and think before proceeding.

What has been your experience with O2 so far?

IP Logged

haubels
CH.com Newbie

Learning to live with
CH

|USA|Ca |LA|210|CA,California
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 2:31pm

I wouldn't play pharmacist but there is hope for you. I have similar problems with CHs that you do ( 3-5 a day) for periods of time.You can call your medical insurance and explain the problem and they may have your Doctor submit information on why you need more than four doses of the Imitrex injections. It would be a good idea to arm your Doctor with a calendar showing the frequency of your attacks. In my case we requested 9 boxes a month or 18 injections and I pay the same $100.00 copay that I paid for 4 boxes.
Once you have accomplished this follow the "Imitrex tip" you see off to the left of your screen and you will have approx. 36 doses per month if you need them. I have used this system for over 5 years without any problems and under the care of two top neurologist at UCLA.  I'm actually considered high risk due to two stints in my heart but again I have had no ill effects and keep close contact with my cardiologist and neurologist.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2009 at 2:35pm by haubels »  

IP Logged

Emjay
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 9:30pm

My neurologist asked for the insurance override of 4 injections a month and surprised my pharmacist with the approval.  However, I save the injections for nighttime hits when all I want to do is sleep.  During the day, when home, I use 02; it works great even though it takes about 15 minutes.  When on the road, I use Maxalt-MLT and an energy drink.  I learned about the energy drinks from this site and boy, that was a great tip!

During my flare times, I take Verapamil after I get the prednisone taper and I take 9 mg Melatonin (at night; also from here).  Once I am stabilized with the Verapamil, I might only need the acute interventions once a week.  In peak, I get 3 CH a day and they last for 3 hours...  However, after I am out of my flare period, I keep the acute interventions around...still take the melatonin at night, lower dose, 6mg.  So far, this has been an effective straqtegy. 

Good luck and PLEASE take care to be careful.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 9:02am

newagejedi wrote on Jun 26th, 2009 at 12:07am:
Ok this question will probably sound a little insane but I thought I would ask it anyway.

My insurance will only pay for 4 injections a month and with 5+ attacks a day at k6 to k10, i much prefer the rapid relief the injection provides. However my insurance will cover 18 pills a month which I know I can break in half (quarters doesn't work well for me) which will make 36 doses which still isn't enough.

The Injections are 6mg. The pills are 100mg.

Has anyone out there every melted down/diluted a pill and drawn up injections (much similar to the way I know people do other pain meds like oxyconton etc)?

It would make sense that one could dilute one pill into nearly 17 shots at 6mg a shot (and many more if a smaller dose works for you).

Just a thought. Anyone every tried it?

Newagejedi

I can empathize with you since I am in the same boat with the ins. co. only approving 4 Imitrex shots per month.  Myself and my Dr requested that they up the limit due to my CH situation but they declined saying they as an ins co. had to follow the FDA regulations on the drug.  So... My Dr came up with another way to "Fool" the ins. co. as he put it.  He also wrote me a prescription for the nasal imitrex, A Large BOX  Grin      It doesn't work as well or as fast as the shots but if I take it before I have too much nasal swelling and at the 1st twinges of a CH attack it does the job.  It generally takes about 20-30 min. to work but that still beats an hour of torture in my book.  

See if you can get the O2 and try the nasal if nothing else and I do mean Nothing else given your post... SCARY !!!    Undecided

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!