Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
verapamil, is it making me bummed out (Read 1816 times)
jberzins
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

verapamil, is it making me bummed out
Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:36pm

hello, i have been cluster free for a while now, almost a year, but i am taking 360 m of verapamil a day. i have found that i am becoming more and more blah. i have gained a decent amount of weight as well. just wondering if anyone else feels sad most of the time because of verapamil. perhaps i am just trying to find an excuse, just wanted some other input. thanks.

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Re: verapamil, is it making me bummed out
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:49pm

I just switched from 100mg of Topamax which I took for the last three years to 240mg of Verapamil.

Lots of things bum me out but for me it is too soon to decide if it is the verapamil.

Let's keep in touch......hope things peerk up.

Iddy Smiley

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:11pm

If you're CH free now for almost a year... Why are you still taking an invasive medication?  See your doctor about a taper...360 mg of verapamil can blah your heart as well...  Ask for an EKG when you call.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 6:31am

Batch wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:11pm:
If you're CH free now for almost a year... Why are you still taking an invasive medication?  See your doctor about a taper...360 mg of verapamil can blah your heart as well...  Ask for an EKG when you call.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

That's some good advice Pete.

Most of us try to get off the perscription meds between cycles.  There is no need to polute your system when out of cycle.

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:59am

Yes.  That is my humble opinion based on my own experience.  That was not the primary reason I got off of it though.  I didn't like the other side effects I got after a long period of time on it, esp when I added Lithium.

I'm with Batch.  It may be helpful while you are in cycle, but now that you are out get off of it ASAP.  (Consult with your Dr though!  Don't just quit!)

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:59am

Another side affect is it increases body heat and you can be less tolerate of the Sun which is a real bummer if you enjoy outdoor activities in this summer heat.

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:44am

And of course..........don't forget the constipation.  Wink

Hi Ernie Smiley

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:16am

And of course..........don't forget the constipation

And we won't even BEGIN to talk about it's effect on our "little Elvis! Wink"

When I'm attack free for a month I begin weaning off my prevent, always keeping the 02 at the ready. Definitely time to start chatting with the doc about getting off the meds!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 11:45am

Guiseppi wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:16am:
And of course..........don't forget the constipation.  

And we won't even BEGIN to talk about it's effect on our "little Elvis! Wink"

When I'm attack free for a month I begin weaning off my prevent, always keeping the 02 at the ready. Definitely time to start chatting with the doc about getting off the meds!

Joe

What's this "our little Elvis" you speak of?

I'll speak for my own little Elvis, thank you very much. Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 7:26pm

I never knew about the increased body temperature.  That makes sense though as I seem to start sweating a lot more and quicker on Verapamil.  It also makes me feel blah, and especially after a while of being on it.  I've read about the heart issues, which scare me.  I've gained weight on it for sure, and I just dont feel right, but it's better than the headaches.  The constipation goes after a while and the "little elvis" seems to have his own opinions on Verapamil... thought they change a lot.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:49pm

Batch wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:11pm:

Take care,
V/R, Batch

Just a thought:

Some of us are chronic and our friend Vera is one of the things that really, really helps many of us. Over 10 years for me, with occasional breaks to help it keep working. About 5 years ago, I switched from sustained release to regular and saw a MASSIVE improvement.

I modulate between 240mg and 720mg as required. When it starts to lose effectiveness, I quit for a month or so and never get more than 15 feet from my O2.

BTW: I quit cold turkey all of the time with approval of my Neuro & Cardio guy. They tell me that stopping suddenly can cause hypertensive crisis for people with high BP, not generally for folks with normal BP.

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary - ALWAYS ask the Doc before changing any medication

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!