Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil - New to this... (Read 1522 times)
Natalie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Verapamil - New to this...
Jun 15th, 2009 at 11:11pm

Hello everyone!

My dad was diagnosed with CH last Friday so we are pretty new to the whole thing.
He was prescribed Verapamil 80 mg every 8 hours for 30 days, my question is "would 30 days be enough? or should he continue taking the pills for the rest of his life to prevent hits?

Thanks,

Natalie

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Verapamil - New to this...
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 5:43am

This protocol for Verap. has been widely adopted; developed by one of the old headache docs. Suggest printing both articles for his doc.

Generally, Verap. taken until the active headache period has stopped for a couple of weeks.
====
Headache. 2004 Nov;44(10):1013-8.  

Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster headache patients.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Background.-Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses-720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved. Objective.-To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly. Methods.-Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary. Results.-Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. Conclusions.-Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary. (Headache 2004;44:1013-1018).
===========
Source: American Academy of Neurology
Date: August 13, 2007
More on: Headache Research, Headaches, Pharmacology, Heart Disease, Diseases and Conditions, Vioxx

Drug For Cluster Headaches May Cause Heart Problems
Science Daily — A drug increasingly used to prevent cluster headaches can cause heart problems, according to a study published in the August 14, 2007, issue of Neurology®, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology. Those taking the drug verapamil for cluster headaches should be closely monitored with frequent electrocardiograms (EKGs) for potential development of irregular heartbeats.

Cluster headache is a rare, severe form of headache that is more common in men. The attacks usually occur in cyclical patterns, with frequent attacks over weeks or months generally followed by a period of remission when the headaches stop.

"The benefit of taking verapamil to alleviate the devastating pain of cluster headaches has to be balanced against the risk of causing a heart abnormality that could progress into a more serious problem," said study author Peter Goadsby, MD, PhD, DSc, of the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queen Square, London, UK, and the University of California, San Francisco and a member of the American Academy of Neurology.

The study involved 108 people with an average age of 44. The participants started taking verapamil and then had an EKG and an increase in the dosage of the drug every two weeks until the headaches were stopped or they started having side effects.

A total of 21 patients, or 19 percent, had problems with the electrical activity of the heart, or irregular heartbeats, while taking the drug. Most of the cases were not considered serious; however, one person required a permanent pacemaker due to the problem. A total of 37 percent of the participants had slower than normal heart rates while on the drug, but the condition was severe enough to warrant stopping the use of the drug in only four cases.

Goadsby noted that 217 people taking the drug were initially supposed to take part in the study, but 42 percent of them did not have the EKGs done to monitor their heart activity. "Many of them said either they or their local services were reluctant to undertake such frequent tests, or they were not aware of the need for the heart monitoring," he said. "Since this drug is relatively new for use in cluster headaches, it's possible that some health care providers are not aware of the problems that can come with its use."

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by American Academy of Neurology.
=======
This warning should NOT put him off using it. One of the best, most effective meds we have. Being aware of the side effect is his best protection.

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2009 at 5:44am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 5:46am

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the better overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article--link, line above--if you are serious about keeping a good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 2:23pm

It depends on how he reacts.  Most people suffer from these headaches in cycles where they have headaches all the time for weeks or months and then no headaches at all for weeks or months.  Stopping the medicine while he's not having headaches would be nice as to avoid building a tolerance and the side effects.  The only way to know, for many people, is to taper off and see if you're still getting headaches.  This medicine will not cure them, so he'll probably want to keep taking it as long as he is in a cycle.  I would suggest he get some abortives to use while the medicine kicks in and when he's tapering off so that he doesn't have to suffer if he's still in a cycle.  The best thing for this wouold be high flow oxygen, and the next most common thing would be imitrex.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Natalie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 9:20pm

Thank you all for replying.

Slhaas - I'm trying to get him an oxygen tank and so far the meds seem to be working.... I guess we'll wait the 30 days and then see if he gets an episode once he's done taking them.

It sucks there is no cure for this.... I'd do anything for him not to go through that again. It really is a horrible thing to watch, I cannot even imagine how painful it must be.  Sad

IP Logged

FrankF
CH.com Alumnus

Simi Valley, CA, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 11:45pm

Hi Natalie,
I take verapamil when I am having a CH cycle but don't use it in between cycles (except that may change since I also have high blood pressure).

Only taking it for 30 days would be unusual for CH. So I suspect the doctor prescribed it for 30 days and then wants to check progress, and possibly increase or decrease the dose. I would ask the doctor to clarify what he intended.

Verapamil affects the heart, so when stopping verapamil therapy it needs to be done by tapering back under a doctors supervision. Quitting it cold turkey = not a good idea.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2009 at 11:58pm by FrankF »  

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 6:00pm

Also the staggered dose he is on is more effective, but there are extended relese pills he could try.  When I start my verapamil I used the 1 pill 3x a day method like him until it's under control, and then I switch to the 1 pill per day extended release method.  This seems to work well and is more convenient.  When I want to see if the cycle is over I switch back to the 1 pill 3x per day dose and cut back to 2 pills, and 1 and skipping days, etc.  If it comes back I can increase my dosage, and if not slowly taper down to nothing. It is VERY important to taper off slowly though, as previously mentioned.  Believe it or not, my doctor failed to disclose this to me.  Prednisone is another drug commonly used with Verapamil as a catalyst to help kick start the drug into effectiveness.  The oxygen will hopefully be a godsend for him in aborting attacks quickly, safely and without side effects.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 6:58am

SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

dpuellman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:46pm

New member reading through some posts.  I'm eposodic, had this horrible gift for about 9 years now.  Question for those who may know more on the issue... Is it really that harmful to stop Verap. without a taper?  My doc has me on 240 of Verap ER and has never mentioned a taper.  When they show I jump to 80mg of prednisone and start a taper from there, while waiting for Verap. to start working, but she has me on Verapamil ER until I feel they might be gone and just lets me jump off.  Is this harmful?  

Natalie, I recommend the Prednisone/Verapamil treatment.  It has kept mine in control for 3 years now.  Tried Imitrex pills/inhaler, Zomig inhaler, Depakote and God knows what else that didn't work.  I'm shocked to see Imitrex as a prescription since I thought I read it can constrict blood vessels, but I guess, as we know, what works for one, may not work for all, and I may be wrong on that anyway. (I hate the stuff since I put faith in it for 3 years while my doc swore it would help and it never once gave me relief.  I just figured I'd never find relief, but prednisone stops mine in their tracks within the first day of an episode.  It makes my entire boody ache but it beats the heck out of the alternative.  Still get the lingering headache for months but I can sleep.  I got on a rant, anyway, sleep well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!