Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Correct injection method? (Read 1173 times)
OllyJay
CH.com Newbie

Powered by Pain.

Correct injection method?
Jun 14th, 2009 at 6:08pm

Hey again people. Grin
Im a questiong kinda guy and you lot sure know how to make a fellow feel welcome so here is another one or three for ya..........

Up until now i have always injected in my thigh and usually on the same side unless i do a second injection in the same day. I am aware that there could be affects caused by this but do not undersatnad what they are?

Also Im wondering about the difference in time abort between injecting in the arm or leg?

Further more it is my understanding that the injection has to be in the fat just below the skin snd im quite a skinny guy and what with the needle protruding about 5/6mm from the pen im scared it will be too deep and the shape/safety mechanism of the pen makes angled injections difficult, especially in the arm where i cant use the other hand. Any thoughts?

OllyJay

IP Logged

Mauro149
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Correct injection method?
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 7:24pm

indeed, injecting in the same spot can give local hypersensitivity to some components, and swelling to some extent. i asked a few relatives who are doctors before starting.

any point with a little fat os skin flab is fine. if you accidentally hit a muscle, there's nothing to fear if you don't flex that muscle while the needle is still in; hitting a muscle may hurt a teensie bit more. just try not to hit bone, tendons or any other delicate tissues.

i suggest alterning legs and arms, or also pinching a little skin on your belly, or side, to create a small bump, and injecting, without squeezing too much. rub to make absorption a little faster.

personally, i havent noticed any significant changes in time abort between spots; minor blood vessels are quite uniformly distributed in most body parts where it is adviseable to inject.

IP Logged

cluster
CH.com Old Timer

WaterX3 - It helps!

Cologne(Europe)
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 2:54am

Manufacturer's instructions & video:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cluster Headache News: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - German CH Site
IP Logged

miCHel
CH.com Veteran

x1|Montreal (Candiac, Quebec)
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 2:22pm

Hi Jay,

Good question, I was wondering the same thing about shooting in the thigh or in the arm.  I've never tried the arm so I really could not tell if there is a difference.

Have you seen the Imitrex tip on the left?  I just tried it a few days ago and it worked like a charm.  A little more complicated but
it helped me go through a few rough days without overdosing too much on the Trex.  Thanks DJ!

Best of luck!

miCHel

Good one Scotty!  Now beam down my clothes...

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 4:27pm

When I was using Imitrex, I always gave the shot in the arm in the muscle a few inches below my shoulder.  I never felt a thing.  When I gave myself a shot in the thigh, it hurt like hell! 

Now I have 02, which is always delivered painfree!

Beth

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

JOEY B.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 5:21pm

Hey there,

As a skinny guy myself, I tend to take the cartridge out of the pen and go in at an angle, using a Q-tip to push the meds in.  I know this sounds strange, but it hurts less going into the fat than the muscle.  I also alternate, arm on shot, thigh the next and vice-versa.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 6:20pm

Good point Joey B.  I always used the imitrex tip method; it's less painful and you get two injections out of one.

Edit to add:  See imitrex tip link on the left.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2009 at 6:21pm by midwestbeth »  

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

OllyJay
CH.com Newbie