Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clusters In The Dark (Read 1463 times)
Terrence134
CH.com Newbie

He That Endures, The Same
Shall Be Saved

Jamaica, NY
Clusters In The Dark
Jun 8th, 2009 at 9:54pm

Hi fellow CH sufferers, this is just a quick note I wanna lay on you regarding waking up with cluster headaches. It may sound strange to some but it makes sense to me. I got my first cluster headache back in 1990 but really didn't think anything was wrong with me until around 1994. I first thought I was just going through normal headache periods, be it migraine or sinus or whatever. I thought everyone probably went through and experienced these headaches, that's why there's so many aspirins and pain killers on the market. By 1994, I knew something was wrong, and none of my friends or family ever talked about going through episodes like I was with my headaches and definitely not for long periods of time like me. Over the years, I thought of and noted different things I would do to calm or stop my headaches and one thing I noticed about the CH that comes when I was asleep was the fact that when I laid down horizontally my headaches would feel worst and when I sat up my head felt better. Whenever I felt a headache creeping up, I would sit up immediately and when I felt that I would probably get a headache that night, I would either sleep on my lounge chair or prop myself up on my bed with pillows against my headboard, but never lay flat horizontally. It seems like this method would work and my headaches would not come as often when I slept, but then again that's just me. I notice that people have different ways of dealing with their clusters, and what works for some may not work for others. I just wanted to throw my sleep theory out there, so take care and good luck with your next Cluster Headache. Smiley Smiley

Terrence134

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Re: Clusters In The Dark
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 10:37pm

Ahhhhhhhhh

Kings from Queens from Queens come Kings....

Elmhurst boy here (though out on LI for years)

I don't know what the mechanism is regarding positioning other than possible oxygenation but many do sleep in chairs or propt up when peaking in cycle.

For me it doesn't make a difference... I get spanked either way.

Good to meetcha brother...dayum time for a NY meet and greet Problem with us New Yawkers is that we just let time speed by and never actually do it.

If ya ever want to meet up for a bite, coffee or a drink just give a holla. Or if ya just need a hand I'm not far at all.

E 2 Cool

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:51am

Hi Terrence & Welcome

The practice of sitting up or sleeping with your upper body in an elevated position is used by myself & others here; you are probably aware that the CH pain is generated from the blood vessels on the effected side expanding & the simplicity of it is that by elevating your upper body you reduce the blood flow to the head.

If you have ever had a broken foot, ankle etc your doctor would have advised to keep the foot/leg elevated to reduce the pain! Same principle!

Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

OllyJay
CH.com Newbie

Powered by Pain.

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 12:46pm

Ah! Finally, its not all in my head...... (pun intended, you gotta laugh or you'll cry)

I have been scared to sleep horizontaly for ages now as i also feel it allows for increased pain in night time attacks. Although the neck ache gained from sleepingg in a chair ist pleasent it sure beats the socks off a night hit., but it makes for very difficult relations between me and the missus as she thinks its a sign of me not wanting to be close to her.........

There are so many things that we do to try and decrease the pain and it is great to hear that they work for others too as this reinforces my belief in their power, and means ill stick with it. Otherwise i keep changing methods and its all over the place...... And thats no good! Its all about routine.

Thanks alot fellow sufferers

OllyJay

"We have the power to endure"

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 10:48pm

Sleeping upright helps, but it doesnt prevent.  It also seems as if just by sleeping upright, you can jolt yourself up faster, which will help to get to your tank or whatever youre using for relief faster.

We all develop our own patterns during CH. (as weird as they may be)

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 12:27am

MY theory on this concept is that when you sleep sitting up, you do not sleep as deep, and you either do not go into, or you delay going into the REM stage of sleep, which is when you get nailed.

I have done the same thing.  I even started sleeping on the hard floor, to keep me from that REM stage of sleep.  It DID work for a while, but then, I was doing it so often, I got to where I could sleep just as soundly, and enter that REM stage, sitting up, or on the hard floor, so it stopped helping me.

But, then again, that is my theory of operation of the concept ...

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Bob Greenwood
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Mass.
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 7:19am

I have been having CH's at night. Not 1 or 2, I'm talking 5-7 a night. They all hit 10 and I would be miserable the next day. I saw this thread after my second attack last night and figured I would give it a try. And I slept through the night.
One thing I am realizing about these monsters is different things work for different people. What may work for one doesn't work for another.
I am convinced we all have different triggers. When I told my neurologist that my neck muscles tighten up when I get a CH he said the neck shouldn't hurt and he almost wondered if what I was having were even clusters or not. TRUST ME, They are clusters.
Unfortunately I am convinced of that.
I say everyone should try everything to try to control these things, no matter how strange they sound.
After all, who would of thought something as simple as O2 could help Wink

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 11:40pm

Hello,

Sleep is something i try to avoid in cycle, mostly NO nappin. Im poped to feet when woken with CH. And i never seem to know what night they are "coming" and what night they arent, But just like so many tips i gotten here i will keep this sleep idea in my weapons bag. Thanks.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!